O2 Sensors

Started by Anonymous, March 23, 2007, 15:12

Anonymous

Hi Guys,

(Been scouting about forums trying to find an answer to this)

First time post (apologies if this topic has been covered before).

I took my 2003 MR2 into the garage today due to the engine management light being on. It transpires that I need a new Oxygen sensor, and I've been quoted 250 for part, labour and VAT.

The code I was given was 'P0704' - Clutch sensor malfunction
And i think the part number for the sensor is 'T89465-17201

I have a friend who's a mechanic, who suggests he can fit a universal oxygen sensor costing <50, unlike the 135quoted by Toyota.

I guess my question is... would you recommend this? Also, I believe there are 4sensors, would the universal be able to replace any?

Thanks in anticipation for any advice,

Regards

Ross

Anonymous

couple of further points..

from the Part number and code which identified the malfunction are you able to determine WHICH sensor needs to be changed?

My friend seems to think its one by the exhaust, although I have no idea,

cheers

enid_b

ross, welcome.

i dont see how a clutch CEL can relate to an o2 sensor.

anyhow,  there are 3 o2 sensors on the car.  2 in the manifold (the 2 wires sticking out of the exhaust) and 1 at the other end. kneel down by the exhaust pipe and you will see the other one.

they can be bought from  w www.gendan.co.uk w  or ebay do cheap generic ones for less than 20 quid.

dead easy to fit, take care not to cross thread, and there ARE HUNDREDS of posts relating to this problem.  i know because i have just read them as i changed the 3rd 02 sensor this week,

pm if u need more help

E
Ex \'51 Roadster, now  Verso SR !!! the official MR2ROC support vehicle.
Quote from: \"markiii to deej\"the difference will be because your old plugs were fubared

a bloke with a flint would likely have been an improvement

Anonymous

See you found your way here Ross....
Told you this lot will be able to help you out.
  s:) :) s:)

SimonC_Here

[shameless pimping mode on]
If it's one of the header ones, you can buy a pre wired (by mufdan) generic sensor from me Here.
It was in MufDans car for a short while and mine for a couple of runs.

My fault was with a fuse so I put the originals back in.
[shameless pimping mode off]

But I'd find out if the code was right first.

Simon

Anonymous

thanks a lot for your help guys

I dropped into the garage on the way home from work

Apparently its Bank 1, sensor 2 that needs replacing...

Actually, bugger it could be Bank 2, sensor 1  s:( :( s:( . Looks like im going to have to ring up, what an idiot

enid_b

bank 1 sensor 2 is the post cat, the one near the smoke end of the zorst !

IIRC.  

if so make sure you get the replacement one with a long lead compared to the regular manifold ones !

E
Ex \'51 Roadster, now  Verso SR !!! the official MR2ROC support vehicle.
Quote from: \"markiii to deej\"the difference will be because your old plugs were fubared

a bloke with a flint would likely have been an improvement

Hugo

Just got 2 universals off E-Bay, £18 each or i did a deal 2 for £30 and changed both the engine bay sensors only to find out it was the lower one Bank 1 sensor 2   s:? :? s:?   Just off to change that one now  s:? :? s:?
2003 MR2 Lagoon blue A/C/leather [ SOLD]
2003 TVR Tamora,[373 bhp]
2006 Fiesta ST150.now sold. 2000 Ford Puma Millenium number 64 of 1000

Anonymous

Finally got the o2 sensor replaced (bank 1 sensor 2), I got a mate of mate to do it... hopefully it'll be ok.

With regards to the engine management light on the dashboard, would I have to take it in to Toyota for it to get reset?

Also, ive tried kneeling down by the exhaust to see this sensor, is there anythign I should be looking out for?

Regards

Ross

Tem

Quote from: "rosswilko"With regards to the engine management light on the dashboard, would I have to take it in to Toyota for it to get reset?

You could also check if anyone with a code reader is near you.

"Members with OBD II Code Readers" -topic, on top of this area.

(you can also reset most codes by disconnecting the battery for a while, but you also lose stereo settings etc.)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

thanks for that, excellent idea,

I just phoned my local toyota dealer, and they wanted 32quid!

Anonymous

if i disconnected the battery, there wouldnt be any danger of losing use of my stereo would there? It would just reset station presets etc. One of my friends mentioned that if I didnt have original 'code' for the stereo, then I might not be able to use it?

Dont know if he's talking rubbish though

Liz

If you have the standard Headunit - double din in the car - it has no code - they must of realised that no one would want to nick it!
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Anonymous

Thanks Liz,

Im pretty sure its the standard head unit.... the trusty WXC570R

I'll give disconnecting the battery a go then, and hope it makes the nasty light disappear for good!

heathstimpson

Quote from: "Liz"If you have the standard Headunit - double din in the car - it has no code - they must of realised that no one would want to nick it!
s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  Too right but many spend silly money buying on Fleabay  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

Update:

- Got a mates 'mate' who works at a garage to fit the o2 sensor.
- Reset my battery, EML goes out.. wooo

- 20miles later, light back on.... notwooo

Any advice?

I guess the possibilities could include
- o2 sensor fitted incorrectly
- o2 sensor not producing error message

Any advice? I guess first thing for me to do is to get the code read again?

Cheers,

Ross

Anonymous

And so the saga continues!

Took the motor to a local garage for them to have a look at the O2 sensor I had fitted by a mates mate.

They cant see anything wrong with the fitting. Had the error message read and its still returning P0141.. (perhaps a faulty new sensor?)

Is it worth getting bank1 sensor2 changed again?

I thinking of cutting my losses and finally paying Mr T the premium to change it.

Help and Guidance MUCH appreciated,

Regards

Ross

kanujunkie

i'd give it another go, probably just a duff sensor
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

Cheers Stu,

Do you recommend ebay to purchase a sensor? The garage said if I found one for them they'd fit it...

I need to make sure i get a post cat one though, with the long lead, any way to distinguish this?

Hugo

Quote from: "Hugo"Just got 2 universals off E-Bay, £18 each or i did a deal 2 for £30 and changed both the engine bay sensors only to find out it was the lower one Bank 1 sensor 2   s:? :? s:?   Just off to change that one now  s:? :? s:?

Had no problems since changing all 3 sensors, i bought them off E-Bay, where do you live? Get some to read your car again, and fit the sensor your self really easy job, it took me about 45 mins to do the 3  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

It was read again today, and was returning p0141, which i think points to bank1 sensor2. (although the garage didnt know which was quite worrying, so i checked on here and told them, ha)

Ilive near Reading...

I dont think id be able to change the sensor myself... Ive read you need to do some wire cutting and soldering for the post cat one?

aaronjb

You do for any of the sensors if you buy generic, since you need to splice the old connector onto the wires of the new sensor - other than that it's an easy enough job as long as the sensor comes out OK (which, given it's only just meant to have gone in, it should!)

You're quite close to me (I'm in Slough), so if you can make it over here one weekend it wouldn't take that long to do..
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

What a superb offer, much appreciated. I'll try and get my hands on an O2 sensor and get in touch via PM once I do?

m http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BN-Universal-4-Wi ... dZViewItem m

would that suffice, or is the lead too short for post cat?

Cheers,

Ross

Hugo

That will be fine, just cut the end of the old sensor off, and splice on the new one, disconnect the wiring (which was near the near side rear light assembly on my car) and away you go  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

fantastic, thanks for the advice

Tags: