Alternative Speaker Locations

Started by MR-S, April 20, 2007, 09:56

MR-S

I'm planning on fitting components in the doors once my headunit arrives but was looking into fitting speakers elsewhere to round out the sound. Thing is, I don't want to cut holes in the luggage compartments and fit speakers as I like having the luggage space and think that it looks a bit tatty.

I've been looking at alternative locations but there aren't many. One idea I did like was the MX5 in seat speakers. Yep, speakers actually built into the seats. I did something similar with my cinema sound subwoofer in my house. Cut a hole in the back of the sofa insulated part of the bottom of the sofa and fitted the sub in there. Now cinema sound is much more interactive. big bass explosions feel like your right there in the movie.

I'm wondering would something similar improve the whole entertainment experience in the '2
TRD lip kit, Che Headers, TRD rear Brace, NGK Plugs, TRD oil filter, Facelift side Vents, Key hole covers.

Tem

If you fit good components in the doors, you don't really need anything else.

However, I guess you might find this article interesting:  s8) 8) s8)
 m http://www.spydermagazine.com/2002/Jan/ ... adrest.htm m
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

MR-S

Cheers Tem, Food for thought.

It's tough to be original with this car. Seems it's all been done before.  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

But I've done some custom installs before and hopefully Will get something nice together in the '2.
TRD lip kit, Che Headers, TRD rear Brace, NGK Plugs, TRD oil filter, Facelift side Vents, Key hole covers.

kanujunkie

i've got a 10" sub and 6x9's in the luggage compartment doors and still have room for a few small items in there, say a small daypack for work each side
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

MR-S

Panasonic used to do these totally flat subs - they could be an option, I'm also looking at tubes and Active subs. Possible custom kick panel speaker pods or something like that.

s:idea: :idea: s:idea:  Reminds me. Need to put a post in the prvate sales section!!

Anonymous

I'm fitting a 10" sub (150w) in the luggage compartment.  
The plan is that I'm cutting 12mm mdf to the shape of the two luggage compartment doors; I decided a single piece would be better than two.  Where the existing hinges are I will make a rubber lined track of aluminium section into which the rounded off botttom edge of the mdf will slot.  The top edge will use two little devices which will hook onto where the existing catches go.  Ample use of rubber edging left over from my kit car will cushion the edges of the panel.. I reckon that stuffing something made of a material I have which is a bit like a duvet in cloth sausage will provide some deading inside the compartment.  Extra mdf and marine ply will lower the resonant frequency of the panel below 30Hz.
When I can find the calcs to do it I might fit ports.
The biggest problem, as with uprating the speakers in the doors is rattles.  I might make a box to go behind the sub, which would control this but add weight..
I use my car for work but rarely need the luggage compartment. I might make a second mdf panel the same size which could be used.

Any helpful ideas would be welcomed.
Alex

rtbiscuit

what you mean like this

m http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=15576 m

i think the pictures are on page 2
current car: Jaguar XKR

Previous cars:

Honda S2000 - Nissan 350Z - Honda CTR - Toyota MR2 roadster - Peugeot 306 GTi6

Proud owner of 2 Enid stars!!!

Tags: