Tyre weld to replace spare??

Started by andywood, April 21, 2007, 20:32

andywood

We are considering a drive down through the alps to Italy in the summer and I am thinking about freeing up a little space upfront by ditching the spare for a can of the tyre-weld / expanding foam stuff.

Anyone else done this?? Anyone ever had to use it and is it a good alternative???
2003 Silver + Stuff = [strike]235bhp/225lbft[/strike],  + rethink = 195bhp

enid_b

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO.

that stuff is worse than useless.

when i find the thread, i will post it up here.

E
Ex \'51 Roadster, now  Verso SR !!! the official MR2ROC support vehicle.
Quote from: \"markiii to deej\"the difference will be because your old plugs were fubared

a bloke with a flint would likely have been an improvement

andywood

my '06 civic (company car) comes with it as standard as it has no spare.

in the event of a puncture am I really up that famous creek without a paddling instrument??

enid_b

found it.

have a butchers at this thread, from personal experience this stuff is less effective than stuffing the tyre with grass from the roadside

m http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... 715#197715 m
Quote from: \"markiii to deej\"the difference will be because your old plugs were fubared

andywood

cheers for the link and advice!

May need to re-think the luggage space plans for the trip   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

mr2mark

Hi ... Ive removed the spare wheel and relocated the alarm siren..... this has given me some extra room.... I have a tin of the tyre foam stuff instead ..... Ive never seen it work on a car tyre but we fixed a grass cutting tractor tyre with it and it worked well !!
  Whats the chances of you getting a puncture anyway ? And you'd have to be very unlucky if it didnt work   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

evileye_wrx

Quote from: "mr2mark"Whats the chances of you getting a puncture anyway ? And you'd have to be very unlucky if it didnt work   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

True. I filled my rear tire with this foam sh*te when I discovered a screw in my tire. I then drove to Northampton from Newcastle in the rain. Tire survived, whether this was due to the puncture foam, the screw staying in or plain old fashioned luck I will never know as Stu got my stock wheels that day.

Phil
Phil

Black 05 Subaru Impreza WRX Prodrive 265bhp
Ex Silverstone 03 Honda S2000GT 240bhp
Ex Silver 03 VX220 Turbo 200bhp
Ex Sable and Carbon 05 MR2 Roadster Turbo 205bhp

rtbiscuit

Quote from: "mr2mark"Whats the chances of you getting a puncture anyway ?

you say that, but when i had my first car, i had a tyre go, i put the spare on and decided to buy a set of second hand alloys and tyres on.

i bought them and then proceeded to drive from coventry to bristol. i got quarter of the way there before the spare decided to deform and bulge on the tyre wall.

at this point i had no spare to put on and had to wait 3 hours for the tow truck to take me back.

instead of buying a new tyre i borrowed my mates spare put that on and did the drive again.

moral of the story, you never know when you'll need a spare tyre  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
current car: Jaguar XKR

Previous cars:

Honda S2000 - Nissan 350Z - Honda CTR - Toyota MR2 roadster - Peugeot 306 GTi6

Proud owner of 2 Enid stars!!!

enid_b

you will only need a spare tyre if you do not have one, or have not made provisions to fix a puncture.

if you do sacrifice space or weight then you can count on getting a puncture as soon as you are out of reach from instant help.

its called sod's law lol

E

evileye_wrx

The problem I mentioned above with a screw too close to the ti wall to fix happened twice to me on yokohama's last year. So it is possible.

Phil
Phil

Black 05 Subaru Impreza WRX Prodrive 265bhp
Ex Silverstone 03 Honda S2000GT 240bhp
Ex Silver 03 VX220 Turbo 200bhp
Ex Sable and Carbon 05 MR2 Roadster Turbo 205bhp

mr2mark

Like I said, the chances of getting a puncture...... then the tyre foam not working...... then not being able to find a spare by a mate fetching one or even buying one from a passer-by if needs be ...... If all this fails then you should consider yourself very unlucky.  s:? :? s:?    The extra weight loss and room created by not having to carry the daft pram wheel and the jack etc might even save me a couple of quid a year on mpg   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  
    Go on take your spare out and live on the edge !!   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:    (dont forget the tin of tyre foam though)  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

roger

I've only used the tyre foam once - on my daughter's car when the garage forgot to put the spare back after an MOT   s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  

It was a "nail" in the middle of a tread and it didn't work at all!! Couldn't get a seal to get the air in   s:evil: :evil: s:evil:    s:evil: :evil: s:evil:

If needs must, you take your chances by taking the spare out, but I certainly wouldn't do it as a matter of course.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

rtbiscuit

are there not issues with the tyre weld ruining the alloy on the inside as it sticks to it, and you can't get it off forreplacing the tyre etc.
current car: Jaguar XKR

Previous cars:

Honda S2000 - Nissan 350Z - Honda CTR - Toyota MR2 roadster - Peugeot 306 GTi6

Proud owner of 2 Enid stars!!!

enid_b

you lose weight, but only over the front wheels.

this is not a good thing. when i started out on this place, i had removed my spare for the weight gain scenario.

i did find that the front became more skittish and less focused.

ok the wheel only weighs about 10kg but its worth it.

i was told 'why do you think toyota put it there, and made it the size it is?'

so its personal choice, but thats what i found.

E

Silverman

Also, when forced to use the tyre foam, it's not just a matter of connecting up and squirt, squirt - so as to speak.

The instructions require the user to prepare things fairly carefully, before injecting the foam.  I have to say that, when caught out in a blizzard on some mountain pass, the enthusiasm for such attention to detail might rapidly wane - but you can't blame the goo if you ignore the prepping??

Runflats, by the way, are speed limited when punctured, as I am sure, tyre foam repaireds are.
Sold after 4 great years......         04 \'2\', 6s, Silver, TTE Interior Trim Kit No 1, TTE Sports Twin Exhausts.

"An MR2 is good for you."

mr2mark

I can say Ive never felt any understeering on my car ..... although Ive got a sub woofer in the front storage it doesnt weigh 1/2 as much as the spare.... and Ive still got cheapy kumho ecstas on the front (changing asap btw) . I'm not sure if there is a maximum speed with the foam but it cant be any worse than driving with the "space saver" wheel on . And I think the foam might knack the tyre(probably have to cut off the wheel) but it cant do much to the alloy .... Its only expanding foam.

enid_b

Quote from: "Silverman"Runflats, by the way, are speed limited when punctured, as I am sure, tyre foam repaireds are.

Must not exceed   30mph with the goooey foam

spare is 50mph IIRC

Silverman

Quote from: "enid_b"
Quote from: "Silverman"Runflats, by the way, are speed limited when punctured, as I am sure, tyre foam repaireds are.

Must not exceed   30mph with the goooey foam

spare is 50mph IIRC

Ah, thanks for that.   By the way, what's the green A/C fus'e about?
Sold after 4 great years......         04 \'2\', 6s, Silver, TTE Interior Trim Kit No 1, TTE Sports Twin Exhausts.

"An MR2 is good for you."

Tags: