Titanium (or other LIGHT weight) exhausts

Started by Tem, November 20, 2003, 06:58

Tem

Are there any for us...?

Apparently the Apexi Titanium is about to show up soon (if it hasn't already), but it only has a titanium muffler and a tip. Great for MAXXX POWER tuners, cause that's all you can see, but I want it as light as possible.

Also, some motorcycles have carbon exhausts that seem to be dman light. How come they don't make those to cars...? Or at least I didn't find anything (to any car).

Anyone know of a lighter one than the Team Moon, which apparently is 17.25 lbs:
 m http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/proje ... 8scc_mr2s/ m
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

heathstimpson

Do you know the standard exhaust system weight?
Cheers,
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

markiii

about 28lbs if i remember correctly.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

GSB

28lbs
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Tem

I just realized that the last line was a bit confusing...meant to ask if anyone knows any lighter exhausts than the TM?

markiii

I would expect WD's Tanabe to be lighter. But thats since he cut out teh silencer  :-) :-) :-)

Having said which with the cats still in place it's not annoyingly loud.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Tem

Quote from: "markiii"Having said which with the cats still in place it's not annoyingly loud.

Hmmmm...did he have the precats and the main cat..? I'm definitely getting rid of the precats, but I guess I could leave the main cat, if it allows using a straight pipe...

markiii

He does,

However I'd be asking myself exactly what you trying to acheive.

I've just dropped the main cat and had the H&S fitted. It's loud but liveable, though I'd prefer it a little quiter for the motorways.

I'm going to dyno it and if it makes power I may consider having additional silencing built in when I drop the pre-cats

I beleive Don on SC has teh TRD header with the team moon and thats not supposed to be overbearing, I reckon it;s the main cat that sap most of the noise.

Personally, I'd get your header (which are you going for bu the way?) and then leave the back box off, if it's not too loud then WDs idea may be the way to go. If it is then is then perhaps another option needs to be brought in.

GSB

How about this little slice of madness:

No silencer at all, possibly a bit loud for most tastes, 94 decibels max at 5500 RPM at full load and 85 decibels at cruising speed, but thats not bad considering its just a piece of pipe!

See more of this here.
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Tem

"However I'd be asking myself exactly what you trying to acheive."

A weight that starts with 7  s8) 8) s8)  So everything counts...

"which are you going for bu the way?"

Not sure yet...if I can get one local shop to build one, then I'll go for it. But looks like they are booked till next summer and I don't wanna wait that long...

Thanks GSB, I've read that article when it came out, but had since forgotten it...now if only I could imagine 85 dB...

mph

Quote from: "markiii"... if it's not too loud then WDs idea may be the way to go. If it is then is then perhaps another option needs to be brought in.
A turbocharger is pretty effective at silencing  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:D :D s:D
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

Tem

Quote from: "mph"A turbocharger is pretty effective at silencing  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:D :D s:D

Hey stop tempting me!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

mph

On a more serious note, the main stock CAT will provide substantial silencing as it's such a fine matrix. You could live without a CAT or a silencer, but not both (yes, even with a turbocharger, been there & tried it).
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S

GSB

Quote from: "mph"On a more serious note, the main stock CAT will provide substantial silencing as it's such a fine matrix. You could live without a CAT or a silencer, but not both (yes, even with a turbocharger, been there & tried it).

On that note, theres also this little peach... again, from Spydermagazine.

which gets rid of both the silencer AND the main cat (precats too if you put in a TRD manifold).

Adantages here are the loss of 37lbs from the back of the car, and a cool centre exit system, but the downside is the 99 dB at 6000rpms or 94 at 4000rpm at full power. It would be okay except for the fact that losing your hearing doesn't lose any wieght  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

markiii

theres also the minor issue of backpressure.

Having ditched teh cat and gone for a freeflowing backbox, I recokon the low end torque is down a little.

Won't know for sure until I dyno it, and a unichip may fix it. But worth considering.

mph

Quote from: "markiii"Won't know for sure until I dyno it, and a unichip may fix it.
So when are you visiting Millway again? Do I hear an early chrimbo pressie for the car??   s:) :) s:)    s:) :) s:)
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S

Tem

GSB, I'm not into middle exits...somehow they keep reminding me of old BMW's and Opels  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

Quote from: "markiii"theres also the minor issue of backpressure.

Personally I think that the need of backpressure is just a myth. You can lose some low power if you reduce backpressure, but that's only if you keep the car in tune that was meant for the pipe that creates the pressure. You can get more power by retuning without backpressure.

But like I said, that's just how I feel about it. There are tons of opinions for both sides...

GSB

Quote from: "Tem"Personally I think that the need of backpressure is just a myth. You can lose some low power if you reduce backpressure, but that's only if you keep the car in tune that was meant for the pipe that creates the pressure. You can get more power by retuning without backpressure.

I do agree up to a point, although I think the term "backpressure" can be a bit misleading. Clearly (you'd think) the less of an obstruction an exhaust pipe creates, the more effective it is at getting rid of the waste gases. So less backpressure will be a good thing? Unfortunatley it's not that simple. Harmonics and pulse frequencies and gas extraction and all sorts of other things that you need to be a genius to understand come into play, as does inlet and exhasut valve timing...  

On a conservitively tuned engine such as ours it's a fairly simple matter to change the exhaust system and re-tune the engine managment to compensate, and even take advantage of the change. But in a higher state of tune, small things have bigger effects. For example some systems that rely on the exhaust pulse from one cylinder creating a low pressure zone that draws the fuel-air mix into another cylinder (scavenging?), This has the effect of increasing power by getting more fuel and air into the combustion chamber in the short time the inlet valve is open. So it stands to reason that removing or changing part of the system that does this can upset this fine balance, or if your careful (lucky), enhance its effects and move them to another area of the rev range thats more useful to you. Its all clever stuff, and I dont for one minute pretend to fully understand even the most fundamental parts of it, but I know it works, and the more power you intend to extract from an engine, the more you need to take notice of it...

Err, I'm not entirely sure what this is bringing to the topic, so I'll stop rambling now...  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

markiii

Quote from: "mph"
Quote from: "markiii"Won't know for sure until I dyno it, and a unichip may fix it.
So when are you visiting Millway again? Do I hear an early chrimbo pressie for the car??   s:) :) s:)    s:) :) s:)

Steves thinking of treating his in teh new year. So I think we might try and get hedley to let us have it for the day. My cash flow won't support the chip yet, but I want to a number of dyno runs.

Probaby cost me more than the results are worth but in the quest for lots of na power I figure I may as well do it properly.

markiii

I agree with both of you, the point for me is whether you/or I go for a retune.

At the moment I debate whether a decat is of benefit as the power gains are there, but if that sacrifices low end torque, do we gain anything?

If the unichip can compensate for this such that I get more power without less low end torque or even better more of both then I'm happy.

Depends on whether chipping is on the agenda or not.

GSB

Well with Dastek's "money back if you're not satsified" policy, you can afford to find out. My feeling is this; by putting two horrible little cats in the exhaust manifold, Toyota were happy to get any power out of this engine/ exhasut combination at all. To do what they did can have no benifits in terms of performance at all, so the engine will be far happier with them out of the way. The unichip should take care of the rest and fill the gaps in your torque curve.

I was booked in to Millway myself for a unichip in 2 weeks time, but had to cancel because of Toyota GB's never ending promises that my new gearbox "will be in soon"... So I'll leave it to the new year, when I intend to get a little bit mod happy as I've decided to keep the car now.  s:) :) s:)

mph

Quote from: "markiii"At the moment I debate whether a decat is of benefit as the power gains are there, but if that sacrifices low end torque, do we gain anything?
I got a 34bhp gain from decatting and having a sensible exhaust fitted along with no loss of torque, YMMV.   s:D :D s:D
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S

markiii

Quote from: "GSB"Well with Dastek's "money back if you're not satsified" policy, you can afford to find out. My feeling is this; by putting two horrible little cats in the exhaust manifold, Toyota were happy to get any power out of this engine/ exhasut combination at all. To do what they did can have no benifits in terms of performance at all, so the engine will be far happier with them out of the way. The unichip should take care of the rest and fill the gaps in your torque curve.

I was booked in to Millway myself for a unichip in 2 weeks time, but had to cancel because of Toyota GB's never ending promises that my new gearbox "will be in soon"... So I'll leave it to the new year, when I intend to get a little bit mod happy as I've decided to keep the car now.  s:) :) s:)

maybe we can all go down together if hedley can copw with 3 at the same time.

markiii

Quote from: "mph"
Quote from: "markiii"At the moment I debate whether a decat is of benefit as the power gains are there, but if that sacrifices low end torque, do we gain anything?
I got a 34bhp gain from decatting and having a sensible exhaust fitted along with no loss of torque, YMMV.   s:D :D s:D

yes but you cheated  s8) 8) s8)

GSB

Quote from: "markiii"maybe we can all go down together if hedley can copw with 3 at the same time.

Its an idea, but he wanted to allow a good 5 hours just for one, and frankly, when he's playing with something so critical, I wouldn't want to rush him!

Tags: