Michelin Pilot Sports

Started by Anonymous, May 14, 2007, 19:34

Anonymous

So i thought i'd post this for a reference for people to see what the tyres look like and a bit of info on them!

I will post some pictures soon

Fronts 205/40/17  17.8 lbs / 8kg
Rears 225/35/17  16.5 lbs / 7.5kg

General impression is these have a much diffferent tread pattern compared to stock, but do look the business! and im quite impressed at how much lighter they are compared to stocks, so should be good for a light alloy/ tyre combination   s:) :) s:)  

More to come ...

markiii

interesting

I always assumed they would be quite heavy
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Well i cannot weigh the fronts yet, there in the post still! but yeah suprised me, and its not like its even close!

Anonymous

Some pictures! sorry about quality, makes the tyres look abit worn, but there not! yet!   s:) :) s:)  

rtbiscuit

i quiet like those, you'll have to tell us what theyre like to drive on soon as well.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
current car: Jaguar XKR

Previous cars:

Honda S2000 - Nissan 350Z - Honda CTR - Toyota MR2 roadster - Peugeot 306 GTi6

Proud owner of 2 Enid stars!!!

Anonymous

Will do!

Although i'm kinda nervous after reading what people say about the break in period, but when i got the current stocks brand new i cannot remember lack of grip and such?! so hopefully it will be the same again   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

So i just did some calculations and if im right heres the comparison of my new tyre/wheel combination compared to stocks!

Stock rear : tyre: 205/50/15 20.8 lbs/ 15.2 lbs(alloy weight) = 36 lbs

New 17"  rear : tyre: 225/35/17 16.5 lbs/ 12.5 lbs(alloy weight) = 29 lbs

So ive just save 7 lbs! kool   s8) 8) s8)

Chris_h

Quote from: "bossman23780"Will do!

Although i'm kinda nervous after reading what people say about the break in period, but when i got the current stocks brand new i cannot remember lack of grip and such?! so hopefully it will be the same again   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

In my experience, the extended break in period applies only to the Toyos. I have never known this on another car (not so pronoounced anyway)
ex 02 Black, 00 Silver, 53 Black, 03 in silver - then s2000, civic type r, mini jcw, civic type r, Alfa Brera, z4 si coupe, now m135i. Still miss the 2 and will have another one someday....

Anonymous

So youre sayin these should be ready to go   s:) :) s:)

markiii

yes, in that th extended break in is regarding toyos, however all tyres need a break in of some sort, so don't go nuts and stack it
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

its going to be hard not to! but i will take the advise and use it!   s:) :) s:)

ChrisGB

Quote from: "Chris_h"
Quote from: "bossman23780"Will do!

In my experience, the extended break in period applies only to the Toyos. I have never known this on another car (not so pronoounced anyway)

Was very noticeable on the Fabia VRS. The tyres were waxy and not very grippy at all for the first few hundred miles. Very good dry grip now (3000 miles in) and adequate wet grip. Two things I have noticed with the Toyos though. First is that they don't cope well when the road is not clean in the damp or wet, getting more sideways than other tyres I have run. Secondly, they have a tendency to take a long time to recover from a loss of wet traction. If I got wheelspin on other tyres, I found a slight lift off the gas would get the grip back. On these, I find I have to get off the gas a lot more before traction returns. Wet traction is not as good as the Kumho KU31 or Continental SCII that I have run on the car previously either. With the Contis, I could use full throttle in 3rd in a straight line and mostly would get away with it. With the Kumhos, the traction was excellent, full throttle in 2nd was fine in a straight line and I never had wheelspin in 3rd on the straights. With the Toyos, 3rd is tricky in a straight line, even on a clean road the traction is marginal. Grip under cornering and braking are amazing, but wet traction is this tyres weakness on the Fabia at least.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

northernalex

Quote from: "bossman23780"So i just did some calculations and if I'm right heres the comparison of my new tyre/wheel combination compared to stocks!

Stock rear : tyre: 205/50/15 20.8 lbs/ 15.2 lbs(alloy weight) = 36 lbs

New 17"  rear : tyre: 225/35/17 16.5 lbs/ 12.5 lbs(alloy weight) = 29 lbs

So ive just save 7 lbs! kool   s8) 8) s8)

Hmm wonder what someon could do if they stick to 15s
evileye_xc said:
"I already saw it. I\'m hoping to gain the record for the \'Person who is most quoted in signatures"

Anonymous

from what ive seen and searched, not much better in terms of weight but they may be a better ride depending on the profiles of the 15"

Chris_h

Quote from: "bossman23780"from what ive seen and searched, not much better in terms of weight but they may be a better ride depending on the profiles of the 15"

This is true with tyres - the larger diameter (say 17 vs 15) are not substantially lighter assuming they are same width. On the basis that rolling circumference is the same, wouldn't the larger tyre be lighter in theory - as there is less of it?

Of course you take the pain of extra weight in the wheels....
ex 02 Black, 00 Silver, 53 Black, 03 in silver - then s2000, civic type r, mini jcw, civic type r, Alfa Brera, z4 si coupe, now m135i. Still miss the 2 and will have another one someday....

heathstimpson

I have considered the Pilot's before but found them to be extremely expensive to buy  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

normanh

I looked at Pilots last year, the price was very competive thro Costco but when I enquired at the Lakside Branch I was told that it was a no deal. What had happened was another customer had purchased a full set against the recommendations of the manufacturer who doesnt list the 2 in his book, that guy returned after just a few days complaining that the tyres were awful and had a refund. How he drove off without tyres beats me. Long and short is these tyres are not recommended for the 2. Its a shame cos the price was good.

normanh

Anonymous

well that i thought would be obvious! since the 2 has 15's and somehow i dont think they had the 2 in mind when making these  s:? :? s:?  

But time will tell?! but if there good enough for Porsche then there good enough for my 2!

Anonymous

Got the fronts today! i will post some pictures of these aswell, but i was surprised that they are heavier than the rears?! i will weigh them again   s:? :? s:?

DannyN

just for info I have the Michelin Pilot Exalto 2's on my 51 plate MR2 with the standard 15" wheels.  I got them from Costco, fitted for approx £75 a corner

I'm currently running on
  185 / 55/ 15 front
  205 / 50 / 15 rear

Actually I'm on my second set of rears   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:
Quote from: \"DannyN\"There are 10 types of people in the world,
Those who understand Binary and those that don\'t...

[size=75]Black 51 165 BHP - Hardtop ON - Teins - Apexi Power FC - AEM Induction (Cleaned) - Crower Cams - Forged Pistons - Iridium Plugs - Zero Manifold - SP Downpipe - H&S - TRD SS - Corkys MSMB - Goodridge - \'03 Vents - Devs - Bamas - Crystal Indies - Mongos.
[/size]

heathstimpson

I also use Costco but was looking at 16" rears at the time which were quite a bit more expensive than the 15's  s:? :? s:?
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

Quote from: "heathstimpson"I also use Costco but was looking at 16" rears at the time which were quite a bit more expensive than the 15's  s:? :? s:?

Exalto's aswell?

Liz

Quote from: "bossman23780"but if there good enough for Porsche then there good enough for my 2!

Not exclusively....Bridgstone and Dunlop also have the Porsche approved rating on them.
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Liz"
Quote from: "bossman23780"but if there good enough for Porsche then there good enough for my 2!

Not exclusively....Bridgstone and Dunlop also have the Porsche approved rating on them.

I presume it must be those budget boxster's that use the other brands? ...

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Liz

A full set of Bridgstones on my Porker cost around 700 - I don't call that cheap and they wore out on the back in 4000 miles, got a cheap set off of Bridgstone when I whinged though.
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Tags: