Weapon-R Billet Aluminium Throttle Rotor

Started by Tem, May 18, 2007, 22:05

Tem

(since SC is down)
Tried to install this today and I must be missing something obvious.  s:? :? s:?

With the new rotor in place and the cable on the closest position to stock, there's a lot of slack. There's an adjustment at the throttle body bracket, which got rid of some of the slack, but not all. I have that adjustment all the way on the other end and I still have about an inch of slack.

Is there an adjustment on the pedal as well? And if there is, how is it supposed to work?

Or is there some trick that I missed? The only thing I could figure out was to pull the slack out from the pedal and lock the cable there somehow. I didn't do it yet, cause it just didn't seem right.  s:? :? s:?

(and is there really no mention in BGB about throttle pedal adjustment, or am I missing that too?  s:? :? s:? )
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

Mm, that is worrying Tem, i have already looked at how this fits and it looks a cramped space to work in. The instuctions look simple but if there are going to be problems fitting i will be passing on this.  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:

Tem

There's actually quite a lot of room to work on this, I didn't find the lack of space issue at all.

And since others have succesfully installed this at SC, I'm sure I'm just missing something obvious. Please don't cancel your orders, cause I can't figure this out.  s8) 8) s8)

I'm sure someone will help me out, if they happen to read this before SC gets back online. And hopefully that'll make the install easier for the rest of you.  s8) 8) s8)

spydercam

i had problems with it.i couldn't get it but i let another guy on sc do it and he had to modify his braket for the cable slightly.

if you have to much slack i think you have it upside down.try rotating it downward.
i will get you some pics if you hold on a second.although they are not to good.  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

the problem i had was not enough slack.
you can meet me at the bus station!

------------------------------------------
          are you reading this?

spydercam

hope that helps some.

are you reading this?

spydercam

the problem i had was the cable was too tight and left my throttle open slightly.now you could either modify the bracket by drilling the holes out slightly more to give some more slack.or you could fill in the rotor hole with something and then drill it out in another degree over.(personally i would have the hole straight up and down,btw this advice came from another sc member.   s:) :) s:)   )

i don't know how but southerneditor on sc got this thing on with no mods.
he has a 1zz also so i guess somehow it can be done on some models.maybe some of the throttle cables were a little longer than the rest???  s:? :? s:?

are you reading this?

Dev

This is very strange indeed and I think there should be some investigating before I order them for the masses.
 Tem has his loose and spydercam has his tight. I wonder if there is an adjustment at the pedal.

Anonymous

I'd guess yes. I mean, we have a clutch pedal adjustment, and all the clutch stuff is the same car to car; why not the same for the accelerator?

spydercam

i looked and could not see anything like that.the pedal is set up differently than the clutch pedal.maybe someone else should look and see.it is definetaly possible because southerneditor installed it without this problem.  s:? :? s:?

are you reading this?

spydercam

matter of fact if we can resolve this issue,then i may be in for another one.  s:) :) s:)  

hopefully mine was defective or something.  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  
i think Tem just has his on the wrong way.

are you reading this?

Tem

So, which is the right way? When I PM'd southerneditor on SC, he said the opposite as spydercam's pics here. Either way, the cable adjustment isn't enough.  s:? :? s:?

1) southerneditors way, there's about an inch of slack on the throttle pedal, before it starts to move the rotor. Not good.

2) spydercam's way, my idle is around 3000rpm, cause the adjustment doesn't allow the throttle plate to close. Again not good.

Another issue with the 2) is that the cable makes a very sharp turn after it leaves the rotor. And the rotor edge on that part is very sharp. The rotor is probably softer material than the cable, but I still don't like the idea of them rubbing against each other.  s:? :? s:?  Also the constant twisting between sharp turn and straight isn't too encouraging.

Kinda makes me wonder if they ever actually tried this on a '2.  s:? :? s:?

Oh and I'm pretty sure there's no adjustment on the throttle pedal. Brake and clutch pedals do have it and they are easy to see as well.

I'll take pics later tonight.

Anonymous

This is very confusing!

So basically everyone that has tried it has a different end result   s:? :? s:?

Dev

Ok let me see what I can do.

spydercam you had yours on backward.

Tem I have a bit of slack. Not much but it there will be a little.
  Also you need to move the jamb nuts a bit away near the edge of the bracket this way the cable lines up with the new rotor. I have mine this way and after I tightened down the nuts its holds on tight and wont come off.

spydercam

Quote from: "Dev"Ok let me see what I can do.

Also you need to move the jamb nuts a bit away near the edge of the bracket this way the cable lines up with the new rotor. I have mine this way and after I tightened down the nuts its holds on tight and wont come off.
s:? :? s:?  
i put it the 2 ways it would go and i experienced the same thing as Tem did.one way too much the other not enough.the other is what is pictured.(note-i took the pictures from underneath the car,so just remeber that  point of view.do you still think i put it on backwards dev?)

are you reading this?

Dev

Quote from: "spydercam"

i put it the 2 ways it would go and i experienced the same thing as Tem did.one way too much the other not enough.the other is what is pictured.(note-i took the pictures from underneath the car,so just remeber that  point of view.do you still think i put it on backwards dev?)

The question is did you try it with when you thought you had too much slack?

The reason I ask is because I have some slack just so the pedal is not abrupt when I touch it but its takes up the slack instantly so you dont feel it.

spydercam

Quote from: "Dev"

The reason I ask is because I have some slack just so the pedal is not abrupt when I touch it but its takes up the slack instantly so you dont feel it.
yeah i tryed both ways.the way with too much slack is with the jab nuts all the way to the left (from under the car) and there is still about and inch of extra cable so i don't see that way working.and that was even on the most agressive hole.

the other way you need about a 1/4 of an inch more slack to get it without wide open throttle.

are you reading this?

Anonymous

Quote1) southerneditors way, there's about an inch of slack on the throttle pedal, before it starts to move the rotor.
No, there isn't. This worked exactly as it was supposed to. I installed the rotor, it took up too much slack and I fed the required amount of slack back into the rotor using the adjustment screws and dialed in the correct amount of idle until I got to 900-1100.

Very tight and authoritative accelerator pedal now.

As we've noted, there are apparently differences in our cars depending on how much residual slack you have in your system. Some cars are apparently built with less available slack, and if that's the case, you either need to install a longer cable, install the cable in such a was as to allow a bit more slack, or re-fab the rotor. Maybe not the easiest mod but at least you have a fighting chance of pulling it off if you try.

Tem

Quote from: "Dev"Tem I have a bit of slack. Not much but it there will be a little.

Yes and it feels very weird. When you touch the pedal, the first inch feels like the pedal is loose and nothing happens. It kinda cancels the whole idea of this mod as a better pedal feel if it's like that.  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  

Quote from: "southerneditor"
Quote1) southerneditors way, there's about an inch of slack on the throttle pedal, before it starts to move the rotor.
No, there isn't.

I meant that I have an inch of slack when it's this way.  s8) 8) s8)

QuoteThis worked exactly as it was supposed to. I installed the rotor, it took up too much slack and I fed the required amount of slack back into the rotor using the adjustment screws and dialed in the correct amount of idle until I got to 900-1100.

That's the issue, my adjustment isn't enough, not even close. All the way to the other edge and I still have about an inch.  s:? :? s:?  And yes, I did try both way, just to be sure I didn't get it the wrong way around.  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

I don't get the idle dialing though? Once you have the cable properly, why would you need to touch the idle? And how can you set the idle anyway, unless you have a PFC or alike?  s:? :? s:?  

QuoteAs we've noted, there are apparently differences in our cars depending on how much residual slack you have in your system.

So it seems, though I can't figure out why. I have the stock EU-throttle body and a bored LR-body from US model and both are identical when it comes to this. I bet the pedals are also identical between EU/US and inbetween models without variation. So maybe the cables have some variation in them? And thus the need for the adjustment in the first place?

philster_d

RHD and LHD versions ?

Tem

Quote from: "philster_d"RHD and LHD versions ?

Did anyone in UK try these yet?

As mine's LHD and I can only assume so is everyones in US.

spydercam

Quote from: "Tem"So maybe the cables have some variation in them? And thus the need for the adjustment in the first place?
yu know Tem i just started to think about that.i think the whole reason for it being adjustable on the stock system may have been because it of it being a metal cable some might naturally stretch more than others.it is possible ours are just shorter than the rest.  s:x :x s:x

are you reading this?

Anonymous

Quote from: "Tem"
Quote from: "philster_d"RHD and LHD versions ?

Did anyone in UK try these yet?

As mine's LHD and I can only assume so is everyones in US.

Hopefully im going to be getting one, so i can report back with the findings!

spydercam

Quote from: "Tem"So maybe the cables have some variation in them? And thus the need for the adjustment in the first place?
yu know Tem i just started to think about that.i think the whole reason for it being adjustable on the stock system may have been because it of it being a metal cable some might naturally stretch more than others.it is possible ours are just shorter than the rest.  s:x :x s:x

i just thought about that. -(you guys need this smiley over here   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  )

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

are you reading this?

kanujunkie

that smiley would probably mean something else over here  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

rtbiscuit

Its the Gay Parade   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:
current car: Jaguar XKR

Previous cars:

Honda S2000 - Nissan 350Z - Honda CTR - Toyota MR2 roadster - Peugeot 306 GTi6

Proud owner of 2 Enid stars!!!

Tags: