Successfull install of engine from 111R to MR2 Roadster

Started by Anonymous, May 26, 2007, 17:40

Anonymous

Rogue Motorsport have completed the installation of an Elise 111R sourced engine to my MR2.  s:) :) s:)

Found a freshly crashed Elise 111R with just 900 (!) miles on the clock, didnt seem to cause Rogue any problems with the install.  We did use the Apexi ECU though, and was setup on a rolling road.  Its far more pleasant at lower revs than the old 1ZZ engine which surprised me and I guess is the result of Rogue's mapping work.

I'm not sure if the gear ratios from a 111R are different to a celica-sourced box?  4000rpm in 5th with old standard 1ZZ car equated to 80mph on GPS... by contrast 4000rpm in SIXTH with new install is just 70mph - thats pretty close-ratio and just up my street for track work!  In fact, the gearbox is as much as a gem as the engine itself.  I am *presuming* that the celica box isnt geared this way so if you are thinking of a 2ZZ conversion and intend to do a lot of motorway miles it seems you have a choice in how you want yours geared?!

As an aside Rogue did comment that it was one of the nicest MR2 Roadsters he has driven and asked what other mods I had fitted.  No other mods, except tyres if you could call that a modification - Yoko Advan Neova LTS - Elise fronts (same size all round - so 15" rear wheels as its an early car).  Transformed the car for me provided you are willing to accept the rear end is a little lively.

Of course, with Elise tyres, an engine and gearbox from an Elise, and "LOTUS" wrote on the engine when you pop the cover, the jokes about "why didnt you just buy an elise instead?" may become too much!

Regarding the issue with 2ZZ conversions and getting either reverse/first gear by mistake when in fact you wanted the other.  I had this problem a couple of times immediatly on the test drive, but not on the 100 mile journey home.  Trick is that if you put it in 2nd before you select 1st, there is almost no chance of getting reverse by mistake.  Rogue also claim to have made it more difficult to get reverse anyway, and I am inclined to agree having now became familiar with the car once more (when I first got in I couldnt remember where the window controls were!).

The gearshift feels very similar to the old 5 speed 1ZZ car, though occasionally puts up a fight.  I put this down purely to having came from a 900 mile donor car so will be silky smooth in no time.

The only sour aftertaste is Toyota didnt offer this engine stock!  It would have been nice if there was always a small if steady supply of 2ZZ MR2s available for years to come.

Anonymous

So what power numbers are we talking then?!

markiii

nice

so I have to ask, how much you paid for teh parts, usually teh world Lotus makes the price skyrocket

if your selling teh old bits, Philster is after a 5 speed box
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

kanujunkie

nice work again by Patrick, hope your happy with her Fanjules, so go on then, post the plot
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

£1500 for 111R engine + gearbox, so quite chuffed with that particulary over the 900 mile thing.

Rogue have the old engine/gearbox which have covered 33,000 miles so worth a call! Engine not worth much mind you (victim of precat failure), but never had any issue with the gearbox or clutch which were both sweet as a nut.

markiii

precats ouch, you kept that quiet
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

northernalex

Quote from: "fanjules"gearbox or clutch which were both sweet as a nut.

Which nuts are sweet?
evileye_xc said:
"I already saw it. I\'m hoping to gain the record for the \'Person who is most quoted in signatures"

spydercam

congrats.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
you can meet me at the bus station!

------------------------------------------
          are you reading this?

philster_d

Was it a uk eu car Fanjules ?

heathstimpson

That was a good price IMHO with an engine and box with so few miles; almost brand spanking  s8) 8) s8)  Sounds good matey  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

rtbiscuit

i'm very jelous  s:P :P s:P
current car: Jaguar XKR

Previous cars:

Honda S2000 - Nissan 350Z - Honda CTR - Toyota MR2 roadster - Peugeot 306 GTi6

Proud owner of 2 Enid stars!!!

heathstimpson

Quote from: "rtbiscuit"i'm very jealous  s:P :P s:P
You and me both  s8) 8) s8)
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

You wanna get those rear wheels changed for the 16"s asap  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

Anonymous

Not making a decision on the wheels/tyres yet until Ive done some trackdays with the new setup.  After all below 6000rpm things are not hugely different to before!

Anonymous

Have done a couple of (dry) trackdays now at Elvington and Bedford, somewhere nice and safe to play about with what might be a wayward car!

In summary: I'm sticking with the tyre layout.  Its still quite sure footed, albeit naturally understeering in the slower corners it loses that trait at higher speed but you can be quite clumsy with it and it still sorts itself out.  Its quite easy to move between under/oversteer with lifting off and applying power... though the old 1ZZ was little different in this respect.

The 2ZZ gives you longer legs so you are not that much slower than a Caterham superlight, and its becoming increasingly easier to stay within the camlift area thoughout a lap as my confidence grows.  Having done over 1000 miles now the gearbox also seems less willing to put up a fight.

markiii

don't suppose your at Anglesey on teh 16th Jules?

wouldn't mind a ride out in yours at all   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

juansolo

Bugger that, I've seen him drive an MX-5   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:     s:P :P s:P
[size=75]Porsche Cayman - Curvy (almost) perfection
Juno SSE-CN - Bonkers track thing
Mercedes 190E - Das Uberbarge still going strong[/size]

Anonymous

Is yours the 275bhp turbo MR2 booked in?  Seems to be a lot of MR2s booked on one of the days but cant remember which. You will be able to identify mine via the blue gaffa tape down one side and the high ride height!

In other news, discovered last Tuesday whilst struggling round the slower corners at Bedford that I no longer have an LSD!  The ultimate driving machine that is the Elise 111R has an open diff, which came as a bit of a surprise.  It just feels old, cheap, nasty and slow as you try to get the power down with the back out a little so astonished that such a high spec Elise doesn't have one.  Maybe its less of a problem with the Elises weight and sharper chassis.

Currently investigating means to get one put in (be it from my old 5-speed box or having to splash out on what the Elise boys use) but unlikely to occur before Anglesey.  Its impressive how much more cruder and generally unpleasant it is and resulted in a brief car hate period until I calmed down.  s:P :P s:P

Anonymous

You definitely don't need an LSD in an Elise or it's variants, although I can certainly see why you'd want one in the '2. Personally now I've used both a car with LSD and one without, I don't think I'd go back to LSD. Spinning the inside rear wheel on sharp corners is fun!  s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

Its not that you cant slide... and you're probably right in that its easier to goof about without the LSD.  But when you straightened up before there was a more pleasant transition and general sophistication as opposed to gooning and accelerating now becoming two separate entities.  it just reminds me of older cruder machinery!  s;) ;) s;)

I dont really "goon" as part of my track style (or at least not anything like Juansolo!) but I do like the car moving around and even with small slip angles the difference I found quite stark. I can only assume the effects would be felt even more so on a wet trackday, something I previously really liked to get my teeth into as they were both challenging and rewarding on the power in the old car.

markiii

yep thats me in teh yellow roadster

teh 5 speed lsd from your old car will fit.

Anonymous

Wahoo, now that sounds encouraging!

philster_d

If your old box has an LSD and you dont want it till september why not sell me your box and take the LSD from mine later.

Anonymous

Nopers, I really need the LSD now. Circuits where only one corner is above 2nd gear are no fun at the moment  s:( :( s:(

Tags: