blue smoke

Started by Wrightly, June 15, 2007, 14:43

Wrightly

Hi
I own a J spec 2000 car, bought in 2002. The engine first went in 2004 - due to the precats - so it was refurbed, deprecatted and new main cat installed.
All seemed fine when I picked up the car and it seemed ok. However, the exhaust note was a lot louder, was rattling a bit and power seemed significantly down, which was blamed on the engine needing to be run in. Four months later, well, technically two, as I was away and not driving, nothing was better even after being 'run in'. And to make matter worse, it only had a three month warranty.
I couldn't afford another new engine at that point, and it didn't seem to bu using oil, was just louder and could be burnt off at the lights by a 1.4!
Not fussed about power, I have been regularly using it for cruising in since, putting thousands of miles on it just waiting for it to blow, but it never did. I even went abroad.
Finally, I now think it's on its last legs. It has started to drink oil like a nodding donkey, very rattley and gives quite big puffs of blue smoke if i've been going down a hill say in 2nd gear. When I get to the bottom and apply power the engine falters and with it emits blue smoke, but only briefly then all goes clear. Any ideas on that? I find it strange it only happens when I'm going down a hill?
At the end of the day, I know I'll prob need new engine, but paid an independant a fortune last time - it was unfortunately before I knew abut this site! -and don't want to get ripped off again
Cheers

kanujunkie

if the engines opened, you'll probably find the bores have gone oval, does make me wonder if the engine was properly cleaned when it was refurbed.
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Wrightly

Do oval bores mean a new engine? Or is there an easier solution?

Anonymous

Well it's definately burning oil.
As Stu said more likely than not bore wear.

It's obvious the engine was never right after the refurb. Why did you just keep on driving it without taking it back and complaining - surely you must have thought "Hang on something isn't right?" !!  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

Now the warranty period is over you've got potentially very little comeback.

Running in is one thing but an engine shouldn't drive in the manner you described.

Anonymous

Hi, sorry about the problem
You don't say what they did to 'refurb' the engine ie did they take yours out, rebore it fit new pistons and rings etc or did they fit a new half engine? In either case, what miles have you done since they did it?
The warranty does not replace your legal rights; the product should be fit for purpose; if the repair was only going to last 4 months then this should have been up front as you would reasonably have expected a reconditioned engine to last say 10000miles???
I'm lawyer but I think I would try some advice from the CAB - you've got nothing to lose.
Sorry - just re-read and you may have been using it for a lot longer than 4 months after the problem, in which case my advice is pants!
Once again, sorry about the problem

kanujunkie

Quote from: "Wrightly"Do oval bores mean a new engine? Or is there an easier solution?

cheaper to get a new engine than fix it, sorry
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Wrightly

Looks like I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and go for a third engine! Admittedly, I should've sorted it a lot sooner rather than later - you live and learn.
Anyone got a spare one lying around or point me in the direction of someone trustworthy? And value wise, if i went 2zz, what would the car be worth? Am probably gonna sell at the end of summer, and have already seen a lot of money go up in smoke.

northernalex

Quote from: "Wrightly"Looks like I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and go for a third engine! Admittedly, I should've sorted it a lot sooner rather than later - you live and learn.
Anyone got a spare one lying around or point me in the direction of someone trustworthy? And value wise, if i went 2zz, what would the car be worth? Am probably gonna sell at the end of summer, and have already seen a lot of money go up in smoke.

Buying a 2zz shouldnt put the price of your car up much, unless you sell to an enthusiast. However if you go 2zz you might not want to sell up  s:) :) s:)
evileye_xc said:
"I already saw it. I\'m hoping to gain the record for the \'Person who is most quoted in signatures"

Anonymous

Gnerally speaking, unless you are selling to another enthusiast, modifications will detract from the value of the car because dealers will be unable to find realistic price comparisons and modifications will suggest 'boy racer' or similar. The closer the car is to stock then the easier it will be to trade in. If you do go for a 2zz, turbo or whatever then keep it for a bit longer and enjoy it.

Sorry northenalex, you just beat me to that!! great minds?? or was it fools!!!

Anonymous

Two or three engines on fleabay at the mo, around £900-1000

Tags: