5speed or 6speed

Started by Anonymous, July 13, 2007, 14:28

Anonymous

I believe that a 6speed gearbox was introduced afetr 2002 but I'm just wondering does this make any difference performance wise? Any advantages or disadvantages?

roger

The 6th Gear is just an addition to the previous 5, so no performance gains in the 6 speed box, I understand.

Just lower rev cruising.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

carl_evs

Usually on most cars 6th is for motorway cruisin etc.. saves you that bit of extra fuel and so on......

iirc the gearing on the first 5 gears are identical in both 'boxes!!
2nd Place - Northern Treasure Hunt

\'52 Lagoon Blue SMT - Likwidart graphics - quite a bit of other stuff...most homemade!!

Quote from: \"nelix\"Sold him my knob, fast payment, thanks

enid_b

IIRC the only thing with the '6th' gear is that it gives you something to talk about down the pub.

E
Ex \'51 Roadster, now  Verso SR !!! the official MR2ROC support vehicle.
Quote from: \"markiii to deej\"the difference will be because your old plugs were fubared

a bloke with a flint would likely have been an improvement

Chris_h

People do seem to say the 5sp has a nicer change.

If the 6 rations were very closely stacked (i.e 6th the same as 5th) then that would be great! but as i understand it, 6th is more of an overdrive yet economy figures remain unchanged? (maybe it compensates for the increased lard on later models)
ex 02 Black, 00 Silver, 53 Black, 03 in silver - then s2000, civic type r, mini jcw, civic type r, Alfa Brera, z4 si coupe, now m135i. Still miss the 2 and will have another one someday....

Anonymous

I think it's down to weather you want an old model or a new one, the only area you have worry about is around the 2002 / 3 model after that it doesn't really matter - it's a six speed  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

tonigmr2

Where is reverse on the 5 gear box?

Have to say, I dislike the pushover/pushdown action on the 6 speed.
T
Yellow 55 with hardtop and aircon!

aaronjb

It's where your 6th gear is..
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

MisterK

Take a test drive in both.  Once you have driven the 6 speed, you'll never want to go back to a 5 speed.  My 1.6 Corolla SR is a 5 speed & 5th is the same ratio as 5th on the MR2.  The extra cog makes all the difference - the extra 500ish RPM for 6th makes things a lot more relaxed - 3000 rpm at 75+mph.  I'm now looking at replacing the Corolla with the Auris T180 with a 6 speed box.  I won't go back to a 5 speed.  Make up your own mind.
MARK K - Original Owner/ \'Best In Class\' winner, \'Show n Shine\', MR2DC National Event 2017.

enid_b

Quote from: "Mark Kenworthy"Take a test drive in both.  Once you have driven the 6 speed, you'll never want to go back to a 5 speed.  My 1.6 Corolla SR is a 5 speed & 5th is the same ratio as 5th on the MR2.  The extra cog makes all the difference - the extra 500ish RPM for 6th makes things a lot more relaxed - 3000 rpm at 75+mph.  I'm now looking at replacing the Corolla with the Auris T180 with a 6 speed box.  I won't go back to a 5 speed.  Make up your own mind.

not quite true for me chap.  the first one i test drove was a blue (love love love love) post facelift 6 speed.

i bought a silver (arrgh) 5 speed.  for me, having driven several different types with 6 speeds, notably the golf VR6 4-motion, i found i was forever changing gear.  

E
Ex \'51 Roadster, now  Verso SR !!! the official MR2ROC support vehicle.
Quote from: \"markiii to deej\"the difference will be because your old plugs were fubared

a bloke with a flint would likely have been an improvement

Liz

I keep looking for another gear all the time, maybe I could do with a 6th  s:? :? s:?
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

kanujunkie

come join Mark and myself in the land of the modified 6 speed Liz  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

Both Tanya and I do the same, I have a company car, ford focus with 6 gears and we go to put it into reverse all the time in the 2.

I think the 6th gear would be a good thing for lots of motorway driving, so it does sound like you ringing the 2's neck

Wabbitkilla

6th gear is great for motorway cruising.
Whenever i'm driving a hire car i keep looking for it (in the case of Fords that's VERY dangerous).

I've heard mention the 6spd is a stronger box, but that might just be conjecture - Markiii will know for sure.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Anonymous

For motorway driving I would imagine the 6th gear is very much useful, though in some ways it should be even longer geared... 1000rpm over 5th instead of 500rpm as suggested here.

I have the close ratio 6 speed box and would gladly sacrifice 6th gear to be 2000rpm longer.  Having met another 2ZZ owner using the 6spd gearbox out of a face lifted car, he was doing 85mph at 4000rpm whereas I'm doing ermm... 70mph!

Ultimatley the gearbox you get is determined by if you have the facelifted version or not (assuming the 6 speed came along the same time as the 5spd?), and I think the other changes are more sigificant than the extra cog... appearance, extra bracing, weight, 16" rears, etc. etc.  Certainly it isnt worth toying with the idea of dropping a 6 speed into an earlier 5 speeder car.

markiii

oh yes it is
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

kanujunkie

i personally think it depends on what your day to day drive is, but the six speed is worth it imho
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Team_Dandism

As I'm about to swap from a Jap MR-S 5 speed C56-01B to a UK Roadster 6 speed C66-02B where exactly will my reverse and 6th end up at a guess i'll have

but where is reverse now.

I'm told you only need the box to do the swap is that definately true? My TRD quickshift appears to be 5 and 6 speed compatible but are the mounts and cables the same?
Regards

Matt J..

www.team-dandism.co.uk

markiii

having swapped from 5 to 6 speed I can say yes it all works without new parts

Reverse is next to 1st

so why teh swap?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Team_Dandism

Basically the car's gone in for a head gasket - explains why is was quite cheap (no loss of compression but a leak down the back of the block), and the clutch could also do with replacing as the release bearing is making a bit of a noise. So we figured it was easier to drop the engine and box out and do the job on the floor.

While the box is off for the clutch I figured I might as well upgrade to a later 6 speed which definately has an LSD and I don't think the 5 speed in the car currently has one. I found the box in my local breakers the other week and the price wasn't too bad, especially since its only done 13500 miles and is from a late 05 car.
Regards

Matt J..

www.team-dandism.co.uk

Anonymous

Quote from: "Liz"I keep looking for another gear all the time, maybe I could do with a 6th  s:? :? s:?

I ahve got a 6 speed 'box and I look for 7th now and again!  s:? :? s:?

Tags: