Vibration noise

Started by pauljb, September 23, 2007, 15:40

pauljb

Hi guys, am a newbie to this so please explain things easily. Just got a 2001 MR2 MK3. And recently i just started to notice a vibration noise at 2000 rpm on the dot. I can hear the noise when the car is still and when the car is driving in 1st , 2nd and 3rd gears again at 2000 rpm.

I was readin the post

m http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=18533 m

But i says they dont hear the vibration noise when the car is still, which isnt the same in my case?

It is annoying, and i dont know if it just started in the last couple of days or if i am only noticing it now since am getting use to the car?

Any help would be good?

Cheers

P.S. Also what is a pre cat?

Jigwar

Could be a heatshield - mine was evident when sat still and revving at a particular RPM.

The fact that you can hear it when sat still puts you in a good position - get someone to help with revving and put your ear about to find the cause. Use a poking device to try and hunt down the source.

HTH

Steve
Jigwar
Past: \'51 plate
Present: \'06 plate TTET\'ed

roger

Hi Paul and welcome.

You don't say if the vibration continues after 2K, if its proportional to revs, speed or anything else, or the source. Having said that, then there are a few heat shields around, one is the cat one you have found, and I reckon those should be your first port of call.

A pre-cat is a cataliser in the manifold. It is used to reduce emissions on start up. You've obviously seen the posts and sticky. There is a small chance with a pre 03 car that these could disintegrate. Your choice if you do something about it.

The other thing always said to a new guy, is check your tyres. If they are all one make / model, and are sized according to your handbook, then they should be OK. If not.............be very, very careful until you get them changed.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

pauljb

Thanks for the advice, already tried that and had a look round. Though didnt take off any covers underneath we going to do that soon when changing the oil and filter etc.

N.B. the noise is at 2000 rpm and you cant hear it above or below that, it is in a very narrow range

The strange thing is the noise is more easier to hear when you sitting inside with all the doors closed. When a door is open its harder to hear.

Hope its nothing serious, as i was reading about that pre cat thing today and it scared me, my car has 33k (its a 2001) on the clock just should i be worried or do anything about the pre cat?

Well my tyres are different make on the back!

Also can anyone tell me what spark plugs to buy? and is it worth buying the Iridium type?

roger

Read  this on spark plugs

Your choice on pre-cats as I said, though it is unlikely they are your current problem. Rather than gutting the manifold quite a few have swopped it for a Che (or similar). Search will give you more info.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

ChrisGB

I tried to track down a rattle on mine with an almost identical description to that you have given.  I checked all the heatshields attached to the exhaust system and all where tight and quiet. I rekoned as I was replacing the manifold and exhaust soon enough, the problem would go, but no, even on new manifold and exhaust, the problem was still there. Eventually tracked it down to the big black heatshield separating the exhaust silencer from the bumper. 10 seconds with a spanner and all has been well since.

Sort the tyres out. Wet weather ahead and mixed tyres is not going to be good.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

pauljb

Cheers chris i will have a look at what you said tomorrow and see if that helps me, hopefully it will. How come you were replacing the manifold? To replace the pre cat?

Oh i will get the tyres changed, i can feel the handling is a bit edgy in the wet am just driving it easy. What make of tyres can anyone recomend?

ChrisGB

Quote from: "pauljb"Cheers chris i will have a look at what you said tomorrow and see if that helps me, hopefully it will. How come you were replacing the manifold? To replace the pre cat?

Good luck with it. I replaced the manifold with the PPE setup and the exhaust with a Che (USA Ebay seller Deluboz parts) exhaust for an added 19bhp and 5 lb/ft output as below:

Quote from: "pauljb"Oh i will get the tyres changed, i can feel the handling is a bit edgy in the wet am just driving it easy. What make of tyres can anyone recomend?

Lots on here about tyres, including a tyre review section. Popular are Toyos T1R, Bridgestone RE040 and Yokohama A043. For something more performance focussed, Yokohama Advan Neova LTS (the ones used on Lotus Elise) or Hankook RS-2 (a bit track day oriented but a good road tyre as well). What do you have on the front? If it is Bridgestones and you want matching rears, I have a lightly worn pair with plenty of tread on them here. I swapped over to the Hankook RS-2s and love 'em. Toyos are good if you want progressive breakaway.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

MR-S

I actually have a similar rattle at exactly 3.1k revs. The thin metallic nature of the rattle suggests it's a heatshield but if checked all of the visible ones in the engine bay and they all seem pretty tight, I had forgotten about the black one covering the back box though so i'll give that a shot. Also noticed that the TRD rear strut bar is tipping the rear hatch, but I don't think that's the cause of the rattle. Just another thing on the to-do list.  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
TRD lip kit, Che Headers, TRD rear Brace, NGK Plugs, TRD oil filter, Facelift side Vents, Key hole covers.

pauljb

Chris i had a quick look at my car today think i found what you where talking about but all seems well in place. THe noise is a vibration you see not a rattle - i dont know if you described at as a rattle out of habbit or if yours was actually a rattle if you know what i mean   s:o :o s:o

Any way i will get a better look when i go to change the oil and spark plugs - ordered a TRD oil filter and NGK iridium IX spark plugs.

So just to mention the noise i hear is a vibration noise, its not a rattle or whining noise or any other type. Just in case   s:? :? s:?  

Thanks for your help so far

Cheers

Paul

Jigwar

Quote from: "MR-S"... and they all seem pretty tight....

They always do when not running. If you can recreate at standstill with someone revving, then poke around with a broomhandle or screwdriver or similar and you'll find the vibrating shield no probs (if it is one   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  ).

O, and be careful of the hot bits   s8) 8) s8)  

Steve
Jigwar

pauljb

Would it be a good idea to jack the car up and remove the cover at the bottom and have a look that way too?

Cheers for the help so far guys

Jigwar

Quote from: "pauljb"Would it be a good idea to jack the car up and remove the cover at the bottom and have a look that way too?

Cheers for the help so far guys

Yep - take the "nappy" off - one of the biggest culprit heat shields is best poked at from underneath.

Steve
Jigwar

Gbirch

I had a similar rattle and too checked all the heat shields. However, it turns out this was the start of my engine going. Check your oil consumption over the next week. If its high go to Toyota. I caught this too late so am in the process of having a new engined fitted. I do not intend to scare you but in my experience plan for thbe worst and anything less is a bonus.
Seek first to understand then be understood!

pauljb

That has scared me!

N.B. I FORGOT TO MENTION THAT I NOISE DISAPPEARS AFTER THE CAR HAS WARMED UP I.E. 15 MIN DRIVE OR SO - IF THIS HELPS

WOULD THAT POINT IT MORE TO HEATSHIELDS OR ENGINE PROBLEM?

Anonymous

Hi Paul

Did you ever get to the bottom of this noise? I have the identical problem as you and it's driving me bonkers. It sounds like a baffle noise in the exhaust but goes away when the car is hot.

pauljb

Hi
Hi mm,

Thanks for the interest,

my noise is a vibration @ 2000rpm and does go away when car warms up.

Gonna get a look by the weekend when am changin the oil and filter.

Anonymous

if its not your heatshields ,and it goes after a few minutes of warming up,check underneath at the heatshield on the downpipe ,start your car ,go round back and press your finger against it ,if thats it [i had this problem and mrt said he would "drill" holes in my engine-  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  ] i used a large hose clamp and have never heard it again in over a year

might be a cause ,has happened to a few other people also

pauljb

Hi

sorry for the long delay in getting back to you. But only today did i get a chance to to having alook to see what the noise was.

And i can conclude that i still dont have a clue what the noise is! I looked around the areas you all suggested and that doesnt seem to be the problem.

This is really annoying me

Where should i go from here? take it to Mr.T or could it be something else?

Cheers

spit

Its all guesswork via the internet I'm afraid, but from what you're saying I think you're sensing a vibration rather than a metallic rattle, Yes?

And worse inside the car than outside?

That would suggest to me its worth checking the front engine mount attached to the firewall - which supports the Engine and Gearbox assembly immediately behind the cabin area.

I may be way off, but only mention this because a few of us have used harder mounts there and it significantly increases the drumming and vibration in the cabin at the rev range you specify (2k).

Aside from that, its back to general guessing I reckon  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

RacingSnake

I have what sounds to be a very very simlilar metallic vibration noise coming from 'possibly' the manifold area of my '2 since the weekend.  I've had a mate look at it (RAC man   s:) :) s:)  ) but we can't quite pinpoint whats rattling where.  Its the sound as of a plate not tightened in my opinion but where to start?  Having read this thread it appears to be not uncommon but this occurs randomly (at standstill/moving) and can be produced by revving - doesn't sound like a 'lack of oil' rattle - more just a thin plate hitting metal rapidly   s:? :? s:?   - anyone like to flip a coin and suggest a plate?   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

spit

If its a stock manifold, it has front and rear heatshield pieces around the precat housings. These are fastened at the sides with a single bolt through the pair of them, and from experience water can collect between them. Result is a corroded hole, a loose mounting, and a rattle.

usual guesswork caveats apply.   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

pauljb

Hi guys,

I still have the vibration noise at 2000 rpm, still no clue, wil have a closer look soon, as i am buying a part to update my rear bumper so that is the same as the post 2003 model.

Anyone any ideas (or pics) of metal grills that look nice on the car to replace the standard black plastic ones?

Cheers

RacingSnake

Quote from: "spit"If its a stock manifold, it has front and rear heatshield pieces around the precat housings. These are fastened at the sides with a single bolt through the pair of them, and from experience water can collect between them. Result is a corroded hole, a loose mounting, and a rattle.

usual guesswork caveats apply.   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Ta muchly, I'll make that my first port of call   s:D :D s:D

RacingSnake

Nyahah!   s:) :) s:)   Having sliced a finger on the engine cover whilst trying to remove the solid bolts on the main manifold heat shield cover whatsit (technical term!), I had a shot at reaching right down vertically through the engine compartment & clinging onto the edge of the heat shield referred to higher up -with the pics - the one under the exhaust essentially.  THAT is the one which is vibrating and as per Aarons other thread on the subject I will now be looking to secure it in some way once I've had the other 2 elbows surgically implanted and my neck extended   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  Anyway I'm glad its something this innocuous - scared the life out of me watching the excess WD40 burn off from spraying the bolts - around the precat 02 sensors lmao!   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:   Thanks again for this valuable background info though   s:D :D s:D

Tags: