Pre-cat Composition

Started by zaf786, January 7, 2008, 23:54

zaf786

Hi

I know this may sound like a silly question but do the pre-cats contain any asbestos, and if not what are they made of.

thanks

aaronjb

Ceramic matrix (with precious metal catalyst) and fibreglass wadding around that.

You don't want to be breathing either in, really.  Fibreglass not so bad because it stays in clumps, but the ceramic will break up and turn to very fine dust that - once inhaled - will never leave your lungs.

Wear a mask, and work in a well ventilated area if you're gutting them.
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

zaf786

thank you for that

Liz

Is it sad to admit that you kept a bit of pre-cat material and it is on your shelf at home!?   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Anonymous

No, not at all.

Yes. Dear god, yes!

heathstimpson

Quote from: "Liz"Is it sad to admit that you kept a bit of pre-cat material and it is on your shelf at home!?   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:
s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  Missing the old pre cats Liz  s:?: :?: s:?:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

ChrisGB

Just a though here, but precat material "ceramic" could be asbestos or any number of other harmful materials. The metal coating is potentially not too healthy in your lungs either. No idea if any of it is hazardous or not, but would suggest safety on the basis of not knowing either way. My advice if you are gutting these is a dust mask and do it wetted down, so there is little or no loose dust.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

zaf786

The thing is i had already gutted the pre-cats in my mates garage and the shutter was left open, but i didn't wear a mask but afterwards when sweeping the remains up i put water on the material and the swept it up, thats why i wanted to know if there was any asbestos in the pre-cats, although i should think that asbestos has been banned for some time no and that they shouldn't really contain any asbestos in it?

Tags: