51 SMT. Slippy clutch?

Started by Anonymous, February 7, 2008, 21:00

Anonymous

Hi, I've had my smt nearly a year now, been great love it loads, only problem is over the last few weeks its been hesitating when changing up gear. almost like it slipping?
i rang mr t and spoke to a tech and he said it could be my clutch slipping meaning replacement which as its in 3 parts was about £200 + vat. or a gear selector switch or something.
 is the clutch a dealer only part?
and is it likely to be a worn and slippy clutch, or the gear selector switch thing.

its done about 40k miles on a 51 plate, and i'm a fairly hard driver, i drive it how it was designed to be driven   s:D :D s:D

kanujunkie

if thats parts and labour thats a really good price  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

i've paid £300 once for fit only although i was put in a tight spot due to time and that is over inflated southern prices
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

davidhowson

I would suggest resetting the ECUs on the car by disconneting the battery for an hour or even overnight to clear out the memories in both the engine management and the SMT controller.

A second action I have taken was to get my local dealer to clear down the SMT ECU and teach the gearbox where all the gears are again. This, I am told, gets the gearbox over any normal wear in the system. I can only seak as I find on this and it certainly has made a significant difference to my up-shift.

- David

Anonymous

hi , cheers for the quick reply guys,

stu - i got quoted 200 + vat + fitting.

david - i've read this before about re-learning the ecu and teaching the gearbox where the gears again.
i dont really understand it much, any chance of a bit more info on this?

nin

davidhowson

Other than disconnecting the battery for a few hours to reset the memories and clear any error codes I am not sure what the dealer does to re-teach the gearbox. All I know is it took them about 2 hours to do and it has improved the quality of gear change as a result.
I will try to find out if Mr T has a tech release on this.

kanujunkie

Quote from: "Nin"stu - i got quoted 200 + vat + fitting

not so good then, you can get performance clutches for that price
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

davidhowson

There is no documents available on this via MrT, however I am told that The procedure is on the Toyota Intelligent Tester under transmissions and allows you to reset the parameters within the gearbox software after the replacement of a component etc. Additionally when you run the procedure
it resets and takes into account any wear that is evident in the components within the system.

If you tell your local dealer this, it should mean something to them  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

hi

thanks very much for all the responses and info,

i've got my 40k mile service due now, do you reckon they could do this under that when i take to mr2, also are they supposed to check alignment under a 40k mile service.

thanks again

nin

davidhowson

The gearbox set up takes about 30 minutes so your dealer should be able to add that to a 40k service at little extra cost.
If you mean wheel alignment then no, this is not covered as a standard item in the service.
Come and spend a day in Shrewsbury and I'll introduce you to my local dealer - they know our SMT MR2's very well, well they have done alot of work on mine - out of choice I may say.

Anonymous

Right,

The 2 is booked in for a 40k service tomorrow from mr t, (£324),  shocking!!!!!!!!

I've spoke to them and told them i want them to check the smt and re-learn the gears, he knew what i meant, so we'll see what happens.
he said he thinks about £50-60 ish about 30 mins labour.

fingers crossed my smt will be slotting thru the gears smoothly again..

davidhowson

Hope it works our for you! You must keep us posted with the results, good or bad. £324 for a 40k service sounds a bit steep - check what that includes.

Tags: