Getting your moneys worth at the pumps

Started by Allycat, May 18, 2008, 13:04

Allycat

I received this e-mail today, a few good tips on how to get more petrol for you money.  Just need to try the theory out to see if it does work   s:) :) s:)  

Only buy or fill up your car in the early morning when the ground temperature is still cold. Remember that all service stations have their storage tanks buried below ground. The colder the ground the more dense the fuel, when it gets warmer petrol expands,so buying in the afternoon or in the evening....your litre is not exactly a litre. In the petroleum business, the specific gravity and the temperature of the petrol, diesel and jet fuel, ethanol and other petroleum products plays an important role. A 1-degree rise in temperature is a big deal for this business. But the service stations do not have temperature compensation at the pumps.  

When you're filling up do not squeeze the trigger of the nozzle to a fast mode. If you look you will see that the trigger has three (3) stages: low, middle, and high. In slow mode you should be pumping on low speed, thereby minimizing the vapours that are created while you are pumping. All hoses at the pump have a vapour return. If you are pumping on the fast rate, some of the liquid that goes to your tank becomes vapour. Those vapours are being sucked up and back into the underground storage tank so you're getting less worth for your money.

One of the most important tips is to fill up when your tank is HALF FULL. The reason for this is, the more fuel you have in your tank the less air occupying its empty space. petrol evaporates faster than you can imagine. Petroleum storage tanks have an internal floating roof. This roof serves as zero clearance between the petrol and the atmosphere, so it minimizes the evaporation. Unlike service stations, here where I work, every truck that we load is temperature compensated so that every litre is actually the exact amount.

Another reminder, if there is a fuel truck pumping into the storage tanks when you stop to buy, DO NOT fill up--most likely the petrol/diesel is being stirred up as the fuel is being delivered, and you might pick up some of the dirt that normally settles on the bottom.
Hope this will help you get the most value for your money.

Anonymous

Someone did the maths on this over on the Lotus forums, and IIRC the extra amount you could get was worth about 0.001p. Nice idea though  s;) ;) s;)

Anonymous

My dad got that email about a week ago, just shows how these emails do actually spread!

spit

some nice info there that I hadn't thought about before.

I like the advice to avoid filling up while a tanker is busy sloshing all the crud around the tank.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Anonymous

Quote from: "GroundZero"My dad got that email about a week ago, just shows how these emails do actually spread around for the twelfthtieth time
Fixed  s;) ;) s;)

northernalex

Good ideas ally, however I gotta wonder about makign sure your tank is more than half full all the time.. You'll actually use more fuel if you do that because you're carrying more weight around.

Great other ideas though  s:) :) s:)

Alex
evileye_xc said:
"I already saw it. I\'m hoping to gain the record for the \'Person who is most quoted in signatures"

Anonymous

Would the same principle apply to alcohol served in a pub?   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

northernalex

Quote from: "sandstrain"Would the same principle apply to alcohol served in a pub?   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

lol.. yep.. but you always have to keep the glass topped up!
evileye_xc said:
"I already saw it. I\'m hoping to gain the record for the \'Person who is most quoted in signatures"

enid_b

im likin this train of thought ally, and nice one for bringing it to our attention.

my first thoughts are a mirror of alex, full tank = lots of weight (1/2 a passenger)

besides, there would be no fun playing petrol light bingo if i only got to half.

as ste said, sloshing at fill up time will now be avoided.

new group buy - floating roof fuel tank,

1, enid
Ex \'51 Roadster, now  Verso SR !!! the official MR2ROC support vehicle.
Quote from: \"markiii to deej\"the difference will be because your old plugs were fubared

a bloke with a flint would likely have been an improvement

kanujunkie

nice idea this but the tanks in the ground are fairly well insulated and the temps on a mass of fuel like that thats buried about 10ft down wont change enough to make any difference. Base SG btw if anyone wants to play with no's is around 0.82. I have seen the effects of this at work recently though. When a B747 refuelled outside our office window, the fuel had been moved underground and was relatively cold still, they loaded it to the gunnels and after about 30mins the sun had got on the wings and hey presto instant fuel waterfall as the expanding fuel started to come out of the expansion vents, by the time it stopped, enough fuel had vented to run a diesel for well over a year, the pan was more like a swimming pool
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

aaronjb

Ahh so that's why BA keep putting the fuel surcharge up  s;) ;) s;)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

kanujunkie

its ok we just sweep it all under the carpet
[size=100]Stu[/size]

northernalex

Quote from: "kanujunkie"its ok we just sweep it all under the carpet

you have carpet in the hangers  s:) :) s:)
evileye_xc said:

kanujunkie

not that i work in a hanger, but its the finest carpet called concrete
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Tags: