DVD Head Unit

Started by tom_deas, June 1, 2008, 01:33

tom_deas

hey all,

just taken the dive and purch-ased one of this bad boys

LINK

not going to be the finest quality piece of kit in the world no doubt about it, but frankly i won it in an auction for the princely sum of £72 with local pickup so dont really care less! i CHALLENGE you to get double DIN touchscreen 7" dvd fun for less  s:) :) s:)

anyway. anybody have any experience with anything similar to this? if so, anything for me to consider on the installation? done plenty of ICE work before but never touched the MR2 stereo. well, i lie, i flashing tape'd the inside of the door cards (to which note - WHAT a difference it makes!!). oh and cheers again to markiii for the thread link on aerial extension controlling btw.

Tom

[Mod]Edited to reduce length of URL - GSB[/mod]
[size=85]Che Manifold, Che Elise twin-centre Exhaust, Che RU Strutted, Eonon DoubDin 7" Touchscreen DVD player, yellow calipers, the tramp I ran over in my old car still following me around waiting to dive in front of me again.                   <---- you think im kidding?![/size]

Quotedo you want an ultra lightweight pulley to go with your "turbo" badge? if you treat me real nice i can tell you where on your car to put the turbo badge to get the full 20bhp gain! don\'t f*ck about, put the kettle on

GSB

Never fitted one, but the MR2 came with a DOuble DIN unit as standard, so it should'nt be a huge chore to complete. Refer to the threads below for more information. (All gleaned from the "reference" & "how-to" sections.)

Fitting head units explained - DIN vs. Double DIN vs. ISO.

Fitting 2 Single DIN units - an alternative method

fitted my head unit with rough guide & pics

MR2 Roadster Stereo Installation - By Tony Murphy
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

lemans

Replacing the Headunit with  7" screen was the first mod I did on my MR2.  I am very pleased with mine - it looks great.

I used the MR2ROC as a source of information which helped a great deal.  You already have some links posted above which I used.

I am not so happy now - I paid £150 for my unit!

Regards
Daryl
Facelift Black MR2 with red leather interior. Hardtop, rear brace, SP body brace, TRD short shift, Mongo\'s,  Dev\'s & SP Turbo - 238bp, 220lbft.

uktotty

Should be fine Tom, just get the toyota to iso lead and away you go.
May also be worth doing the camera mod that I did to make sure of the screen

tom_deas

Quote from: "lemans"Replacing the Headunit with  7" screen was the first mod I did on my MR2.  I am very pleased with mine - it looks great.

I used the MR2ROC as a source of information which helped a great deal.  You already have some links posted above which I used.

I am not so happy now - I paid £150 for my unit!

Regards

lol, well, i was just lucky with the £72 (only £62 because i had a £10 paypal voucher!) as most of the same unit go for £170...

i know its not the most expensive make in the world (Eonon) but, who cares  s:) :) s:)  im DYING to get stuck in traffic now!!!
[size=85]Che Manifold, Che Elise twin-centre Exhaust, Che RU Strutted, Eonon DoubDin 7" Touchscreen DVD player, yellow calipers, the tramp I ran over in my old car still following me around waiting to dive in front of me again.                   <---- you think im kidding?![/size]

Quotedo you want an ultra lightweight pulley to go with your "turbo" badge? if you treat me real nice i can tell you where on your car to put the turbo badge to get the full 20bhp gain! don\'t f*ck about, put the kettle on

lemans

Quotelol, well, i was just lucky with the £72 (only £62 because i had a £10 paypal voucher!)

Are you trying to wind me up?  a voucher off the price too!!!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Seriously, the camera is a good idea.  I find the rear view with the top up very restrictive.  The camera helps a lot

Daryl
Daryl
Facelift Black MR2 with red leather interior. Hardtop, rear brace, SP body brace, TRD short shift, Mongo\'s,  Dev\'s & SP Turbo - 238bp, 220lbft.

lemans

Quotelol, well, i was just lucky with the £72 (only £62 because i had a £10 paypal voucher!)

Are you trying to wind me up?  a voucher off the price too!!!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Seriously, the camera is a good idea.  I find the rear view with the top up very restrictive.  The camera helps a lot

Daryl
Daryl

tom_deas

seriously!!! i didnt believe it myself either but i just logged into my ebay and i had a message from the peskers offering a £10 voucher off my next purchase of anything if i pay by paypal. top notch eh!

Anonymous

Am i correct in thinking the dvd function on units like this has to be wired in to the handbrake in some way and will only come on when the handbreak is on?

uktotty

Quote from: "nelix"Am i correct in thinking the dvd function on units like this has to be wired in to the handbrake in some way and will only come on when the handbreak is on?

In theory YES! In reality, as long as its got a switch on it, you can turn it on and off like mine.

Anonymous

Quote from: "uktotty"
Quote from: "nelix"Am i correct in thinking the dvd function on units like this has to be wired in to the handbrake in some way and will only come on when the handbreak is on?

In theory YES! In reality, as long as its got a switch on it, you can turn it on and off like mine.

Would have thought it would have nullified your insurance if it was possible to have it on whilst driving.

uktotty

Probably does, mine is clever as it IS wired to the handbrake and also to the switch, so the message still displays. I dont watch DVDs in the car to be fair but it can be done easily if you wish Craig

Jaik

Nice bit of kit for the money! The remote even has a "loud" button  s:D :D s:D

tom_deas

Quote from: "Jaik"Nice bit of kit for the money! The remote even has a "loud" button  s:D :D s:D

no complaints eh  s:) :) s:)

and yeah that handbrake switch thing... i think when you're just pottering through traffic on the M25 at 5mph you arent going to be able to put your handbrake on but MAY want to have a dvd running in the background, even if just for benefit of your passenger.... so will definately be running a secondary switch

Tags: