Insurance

Started by DAZ400, January 17, 2004, 14:01

DAZ400

Time for insurance who has experience of MOD freindly insurance companies please name the good ones......  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
SOLD No more 2. Just a bus for the family..........

Anonymous

Anonymous

You could also try "Toyota insurance"l. They have been quite good with me.     s:D :D s:D  

Failing that, give "Hastings Direct" a shout. They came a close second.

Anonymous

Quote from: "SilverMSD2"Failing that, give "Hastings Direct" a shout. They came a close second.

My 'EX' works for them - she'd not get insured with them........need i say more lol

Liz

I have had no problems with Elephant.co.uk for the mods, don't charge much each time either
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

markiii

only thing to be aware of with elephant, is regardless of how much/little they charge for allowing you teh mods teh value of them isn't actually covered. They will only cover replacement of the standard stuff.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

heathstimpson

Quote from: "bigun007"
Quote from: "SilverMSD2"Failing that, give "Hastings Direct" a shout. They came a close second.

My 'EX' works for them - she'd not get insured with them........need i say more lol
Oooops; I'm with them. Renewal next month though
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

Quote from: "bigun007"

That suprises me, I was insured with them for 3 years with other cars & never had a single problem. Can you discreetly enlighten us as to the problem  s:?: :?: s:?:

kanujunkie

Don't go for Toyota Ins. they wanted to charge me £50 approx per mod i wanted to do!!  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:   Go with D.I.G.  s:D :D s:D
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

I can say that directline were the cheapest for me by about a grand and at 21 that is a hell of a lot of money!!

Anonymous

Elephant were £4000 cheaper, yes FOUR GRAND than the rest, direct line quoted me £15,000 yes FIFTEEN THOUSAND POUNDS   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

I am paying about £1200 with Elephant, Toyota quoted me £5k

RE Hastings Direct, i can't remember now and i don't speak to my ex so can't find out lol sorry mate.

aaronjb

Having tried a few so far today, Bell Direct are still the cheapest at £930 for 12 months, mods declared for me.

Value of the mods probably isn't covered though.

Flux were slightly more for me, £950 for 12 months, mods covered on a like-for-like.

Only thing is, I could really do with business mileage cover (as I'm looking to work for myself), which I think is going to prove really hard to get on a modified car..

(I know, I'm dragging an old post up.. sorry  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  )
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

Try Liverpool Victoria. From what I've read on the Scooby board (from my Scoob days) they aren't bothered about mods unless it's an engine swap. As long as you have recorded evidence that you have the mods (receipts / photos), and tell them as well then you will be covered like for like.

Give them a call as apparantly it's normally cheaper over the phone as opposed to the web.

Would be interested to see a comparison of premiums offered if you don't mind sticking them all on here after you have rung them all   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

aaronjb

No prob Hanslow, I will do.. (on hold to Herts Insurance Brokers now..) I'd forgotten about the Liverpool Vic too - even though my folks keep telling me to call them  s:) :) s:)  Thanks for that.. I'll look them up!

Aaron

[edit]Actually, I'll just keep updating this post as I go along:

Based on:
Modifications declared (see sig).
Owner: Age 25, postcode SL1, parked on street overnight. 8 years driving, 7yrs NCB, clean licence, zero claims.
Cover: Comprehensive (unprotected NCB)
Second driver: My father (old  s;) ;) s;) , clean licence etc, 25yrs NCB 'n stuff)

Company                Price  Length  Per Month Mods Busn
---------------------------------------------------------
Bell Direct          £930.05    12       £77.50 Yes  ???
Adrian Flux          £951.00    12       £79.25 Yes  No
Toyota               £966.90    12       £80.57 Yes  Yes
Tesco               £1029.00    12       £85.75 Yes  No
Privilege           £1037.40    12       £86.45 Yes  Yes
Dorset              £1400.00    12      £116.66 Yes  No
Herts               £1400.00    12      £116.66 Yes  No
Endsleigh           £1445.08    12      £120.42 Yes  Yes
More>Than            £648.76    12       £54.06 No   No
Admiral              £805.35    12       £67.11 No   No
Elephant             £813.75    12       £67.81 No   No
Direct Line          £976.50    12       £81.37 No   No
Privilege            £976.50    12       £81.37 No   No
Quoteline           £1005.75    12       £83.81 No   No
Liverpool Victoria  £1419.00    12      £118.25 No   No
AXA - Unable to quote (> 2 modifications)
NU - Unable to quote
Lloyds - silly money

Company name and price are obvious  s;) ;) s;)  Length is the policy length (12 months or 10 months etc). Per Month is the cost divided by 12, and 'Mods' indicates whether or not they will cover mods, and therefore whether or not modifications were declared - which is why the 'Yes'es are at the top.. Busn. means Business use covered.
[/edit]
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)

aaronjb

Well .. I've called everyone I can think of, and Bell are the cheapest - yes, the modifications are listed in very vague terms - 'Exterior decorative changes' and 'Exhaust/manifold non standard' (so presumably I could put headers on too, yay!) - their claim performance is meant to be a big dodgy, but.. I get full cover, mods declared, Class1 business use, drive any other car (3rd party) and a tiny £100 excess.. And EU cover too I believe..

Unless anyone has any other suggestions, I guess it's Bell Direct again...

markiii

Since I don't trust em any further than I can throw them.

Make sure the value of the mods are covered, and so that they can't get away with wriggling later document exactly what mods you have and send the information recorded delivery to them.

Then they can't say they didn't know about it.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

aaronjb

Value of the mods isn't covered.. The only company that even offered that was Adrian Flux, but they couldn't offer Class1 business cover - so that's no good to me (unless I decide to just lie if I crash, which I don't fancy).

I'm under no illusions - if I have an accident, my mods won't get replaced, and I'll get scr**ed on the value of the car.. but that's insurance for you, sadly (certainly it is at my age  s:( :( s:(  )..

dimwit

Did you try Hastings Direct?
Mod frendly, also like for like..    s:D :D s:D

aaronjb

Sadly the first page of their website states;

Quote from: "Hastings Direct"The following conditions apply for our car insurance policies:

[standard stuff snipped]
The vehicle must not be used for business purposes
[more bits snipped]

s:( :( s:(

Anonymous

Wow, I'm surprised Liverpool Victoria wouldn't cover mods....maybe they are changing their stance on that front   s:( :( s:(  I'm also surprised they are so expensive. A lot of the Scoobs were being insured for 500-1000 with all mods covered and no increase on premium. As long as the owner kept details, they were happy. Can't understand that...or are they just taking the pi$$   s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  

Did you mean to have Privilege in there twice or am I missing something?

Thanks for the list though, does provide some useful figures. Even though we are all in different areas, gives a good indication of what sort of figures to aim for / beat given what has been quoted already.

aaronjb

Don't forget I'm quite young (only 25) despite my driving history, and I live in a high crime area (SL1 postcode), so that does affect some insurers. Plus the car is parked on the street (even if it is a private dead-end street, it makes no odds to them  s:( :( s:(  ) as the garage is full of 300ZX.

Privilege was in there twice on purpose though  s:) :) s:)  The cheaper quote was a web quote without mods listed and with no Class1 business use added, the more expensive one was with mods & business use added in and was obtained over the phone.

I must admit I found it quite amusing to spot who uses the same underwriters - fairly obviously Dorset, Herts and Endsleigh were all using the same ones. So much for Dorset's MR2DC cover really.. (Certainly if you're my age.. Martin's (mph) is much cheaper, so it must be an age & location thing, as his Roadster is turbo charged!)

I was glad to see Toyota Insurance being so competitive though - even if they do have no idea what optional extras you can buy for their own car..

Aaron

MRMike

Just to sing Tesco Insurances praises yet again, I rang up tonight to tell them that I'm installing some new audio, to the tune of £2000, of which they said there wont be any charge, we'll put it in writing and send you confirmation.  This is how insurance should be done!
[size=75]*Sold 03 UK spec, silver, Red Interior TTE Twin, Euro spoiler, TTE Chrome roll bar, Blitz Induction, VVTI Badged, Pioneer SAT Nav/DAB Tuner, Boston Acoustics Components, Boston amp, Gtech Pro C, TRD Gearknob, B&M linkage, Bama Deflector, Chrome dials, Corky Breast Plate, TTE springs,

Then.. Blue 350Z
and den....black S2000 with red leather interior  
and den.... New Imola Orange S2000
and den.....BMW Z4 3.0 - Understeer!!!![/size]
NOW M3 V8

MR-S Turbo

I am with Hyway insurance.  I am 25 and it costs me just over £1200 for My MR-S with all mods declared and import.  And a Rover 216SLi.  Thats with 4 years no claims on the MR-S.   s:D :D s:D
TRD 2000GT - 500BHP ish

heathstimpson

I've just switched to Adrian Flux due to their mod friendly attitude and reasonable premiums.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

aaronjb

For a non-business used car, they're very good rates..

Only thing is - last time I used Flux, it took me eight months to get an insurance certificate out of them!  s:) :) s:)

Tags: