EBC brake discs?

Started by ChrisGB, July 29, 2008, 20:00

ChrisGB

Hi to All

Am about to replace brake discs on all 4 corners. The stock Toyota fronts have corroded again, so it is time to try something else. I am looking at fitting the EBC discs (plain not grooved) al round. Anyone used their discs?

Pads wise, I am probably going for Mintex Extreme as I am very impressed by them on another car I have. Am open to suggestions on alternatives though.

All input greatly appreciated.
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

aaronjb

Used their discs in the past, and they were rubbish.

I have them on the '2 now, and the discs are fine (just avoid the Greenstuff pads, which are terrible)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

ChrisHumes

i have the grooved discs and greenstuff pads. discs are good, not corroded at all and look the business.

Ive had them on probably 10k miles now, but i have noticed that they squeal alot now, this could be down to the pads being worn out as it sounds like metal on metal(?) or normal, aaron - any views on this and what brake pads to get for best results?? (sorry to go off topic!)

aaronjb

Hmm mine don't squeal, but they've only been on a few thousand miles.  If it was metal on metal you'd know about it (by the lack of stopping power!), but it could well be the wear indicators hitting the disc telling you they need changing.

They do seem extremely soft.

As for replacements, I can't decide if I want to chance it on RedStuff, Mintex or see if there are Porterfield pads available for our cars  s:? :? s:?   I'd really like something not-too-dusty though (with the white wheels  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  ).  I wonder if Axxis make any metallic pads for our cars - I should check.

[edit] Ooh, the Axxis Ultimate (ceramic) pad is available for our cars, and they're meant to be low-dust.  I can't find any online reviews of them, unfortunately (the MetalMaster pads were highly rated in the 300ZX world, though)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

spit

I'd go along with half of what's said above. The discs are great and mine have survived a couple of salty winters now. I've got no issue with the Greenstuff pads at all, but considering my original stockers lasted 95000 miles i guess I don't brake as heavily as some.  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

I've heard the Redstuff pads are dire until they're hot.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Wabbitkilla

I like my slotted / dimpled discs.
They are a bit noisy at times, but not making scraping noises.

Being different (as usual) i have the blackstuff pads and have no problem with them at all - seem to be lasting well too.
Comparing to the dust on Ste's wheels there's really little difference that i've noticed in the production of dust.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

ChrisGB

So the discs are generally regarded as being OK. Pads wise, I run Mintex Extremes on the Fabia. It is mapped and capable of some pretty punishing demands on its brakes. The Mintex ones were OK on even the most arduous one hour very fast B/C road blast across country. The pads are OK on normal driving, but once you get some proper heat in them they just get better and feel is excellent, so I am trying them. Just hope the EBC discs are better than the Brembo items I have on the Fabia. The drive which the pads thrived on warped the discs!

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

roger

I've just put some EBC discs and greenstuff pads on the front of mine, after a disc advisory on the MOT.

About 2 minutes after I pressed the Paypal button I saw Mark's "don't buy them at any price" post   s:( :( s:(  . However I was going on Ste's " I've never had any problems " offering   s:D :D s:D  

Just to say, after only a few miles they are definitely better than what was on there before - though maybe the fluid bleed had something to do with that.  Anyway, we'll wait and see. Generally I think my driving style is "a la spit", but Anglesey might put the cat amongst the pigeons.

Just to say i think the discs look good   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  at the mo.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Anonymous

I've got the EBC slotted and dimpled disc plus green stuff pads fitted all round, so far OK the dust is a bit of a pain - it gets my wheels dirty  s:D :D s:D    s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:  

Also I do get a ringing noise from them when I push it hard, but I think that's the nature of the slots and dimples.

Rob.

ChrisGB

Quote from: "roger"About 2 minutes after I pressed the Paypal button I saw Mark's "don't buy them at any price" post   s:( :( s:(  . However I was going on Ste's " I've never had any problems " offering   s:D :D s:D  

Hi Roger

I am having difficulty finding that particular thread. Was it the discs or pads (or both) that Mark was not keen on?

Chris

roger

Here we are, Chris. It was the discs.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

ChrisGB

Well found out today that Mintex no longer make the Xtreme range of pads, which is a shame.

So we now have choices:

Mintex M1144

EBC Greenstuff

Pagid Fast Road or RS 4-2-1

Ferodo DS Series

Any other suggestions or comments on the above greatly appreciated. Given that my car is not driven daily and suffers disc corrosion, an abrasive pad compound is desirable.

Chris

markiii

I'd avoid greenstuff like teh plague

I have 1144s on teh VX and like them

Pagids have a good rep too

however on teh roadster I really couldn't fault teh oem pads, even on upgraded disks they were more than fabulous on road or track
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

See, I had the 1144s for a while and hated them , but loved the Pagid RS14 (not teh squealing they made, though).

I do agree with Mark though, for value + stopping power + fade resistance then the stock pads really can't be beat IMHO. Failing that, I might be tempted to try the Yellowstuff if they do them, or see if Performance Friction make a pad for the MR2 (I'm using them on the Zed right now, and OH MY GOD do they stop you when you really lean on them, albeit at the slight expense of feel).

ChrisGB

Thanks for the input guys.

Looks like EBC discs and stock pads for now. Never had any problems with stock pads, good feel and progression, no fade.

Chris

carl_evs

Quite a few people seem to dislike the Greenstuff pads but I haven't had any issues with the ones that are fitted to my 2!! I actually quite like them - they came with the discs i bought but i wouldnt be against getting another set.  Anyone else got them fitted and like them??!
2nd Place - Northern Treasure Hunt

\'52 Lagoon Blue SMT - Likwidart graphics - quite a bit of other stuff...most homemade!!

Quote from: \"nelix\"Sold him my knob, fast payment, thanks

ChrisHumes

i have and think there quite good, but when i changed from stock i though the stock were better, maybe it was just them bedding in?

Ive got an mot next week and if I need new pads i think i will try the stock again so will let you know.

ChrisGB

Well I have the stock pads and the EBC discs are ordered. Discs cost £117.85 including delivery from Braking.co.uk  Pads around £65 from Mr T. Fitting Tuesday night if all goes to plan.

I am hoping that the EBC discs resist the rear surface corrosion better than the stock ones did. Still not sure if it would be wise to put some extra ventilation in the heatshield plates. Are they screwed on? If so, perhaps there is room to fit spacers to take them further away from the disc to aid drying.

Chris

Anonymous

I wished they were just screwed on, they are clamped between the bearing housing and stub axle housing so you have to remove the bearing assemble to get it off - big job. I was going to get them powder coated then decided not too, so I think I will wait until the bearing fails.

Rob

ChrisGB

Quote from: "FGRob"I wished they were just screwed on, they are clamped between the bearing housing and stub axle housing so you have to remove the bearing assemble to get it off - big job. I was going to get them powder coated then decided not too, so I think I will wait until the bearing fails.

Rob

Hmmm wonderful. May just take a drill to them, or alternatively, just see how the EBC discs cope.

Chris

Anonymous

just noticed this post. i see that no one mentions black diamond disks and predator pads. i have read good things about these. has anyone had any experience with them?

Anonymous

Me and Mark ran BD discs on our old MR2s with the stock pads, and that's where we got the best results from.

loadswine

I use the BD pads and they work very nicely. Dust is also kept to a minimum as well which is nice.  s:) :) s:)
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

ChrisGB

Quote from: "Ekona"Me and Mark ran BD discs on our old MR2s with the stock pads, and that's where we got the best results from.

Funny that the stock pads are so good really. They area after all for Yaris variants as well (the fronts at least). I was seriously looking at all sorts of performance alternatives. The EBC Greensutff were cheaper than stock pads, the Mintex 1144 quite a lot more expensive. However, as the stockers have never let me down, or even hinted at fading on the most arduous of fast B road drives (the environment that is probably hardest on brakes due to lots of hard acceleration and braking but speeds often too low to get a decent amount of air over the discs for any decent amount of time), so I thought I would go for them again.

The big thing for me is the corrosion of the front discs. I am hoping that the EBC discs, being soft by some accounts, will either be reasonably corrosion resistant, or will clean up easily due to their softness. Hopefully will have them all fitted on Tuesday night.

Chris

heathstimpson

I'm another with BD discs and stock pads  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Tags: