Alloys - Will this work?

Started by mightymouse_toon, July 31, 2008, 12:19

mightymouse_toon

Am new to all this fitting wheels on cars etc. I have a Mr2 Roadster 04 and as most people the standard alloys are flaking away so am looking for some new ones. I came across these:

m http://www.madmotors.co.uk/catalog/prod ... s_id=16139 m

The wheels are 195/50/15 which is slightly different to the current standard alloys. Also on the picture it looks like there are 5 places for the nuts, compared to the 4 on the standard alloys.

Have i got the wrong type?

markiii

firstly they are the wrong size tyre (you need wider at the back in the same proportion as you currently have)

secondly they are teh wrong size (you have 16" rear wheels)

thirdly will they fit? depends if tehy can supply them with teh right offset and pcd
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

StuM

Hi there,

The first problem you'll have is that on facelift cars (post '03) the rear wheels are 16" so I'd not suggest going back to the pre-2003 layout of 4 15" wheels.

You need wheels that are the correct PCD, the correct offset and size.  Nb. the size you quote is the tyre size, not wheel size.

Those do look nice wheels.

Cheers,
Stu
Stu M

Ex 2001 Lagoon Blue Mr2 Roadster
Now - 1985 VW T25 Panel Van \":-)\"

loadswine

I wouldn't go there. The 2 needs a stagger size wise front to rear, so same size all round is to be avoided.
You really need to have a search around for wheels etc and you can see what folks have used and the sizes involved.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

roger

It looks as though they supply those wheels in 16" as well as 15" and PROMISE to supply the correct offset and PCD for the car.

If you definitely think they are a goer, why not contact them and find out what specs they would provide for an 04 car with 15 at front and 16 at rear i.e Rim width, offset, PCD and tyre size for both wheels, and of course at what cost.

Then you can check up here to see if they are talking sense.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

mightymouse_toon

Cheers for the replies!

I did as you said and asked if they would do 16" for the rear and 15" for the front and they replied:

Thank you for your enquiry. We wouldn't recommend going for the 15" + 16" front and rear. We would recommend going for 16" all round with 205/45/16 tyres. With Toyo T1R tyres, we can offer the package for £739. Please let me know if you require any further information and I will be happy to assist. Many thanks.

Are they right? Or are they just trying to fob me off?

SimonC_Here

Fob off.

Who do you believe? Toyota spending loads on car design to come up with the 15 + 16 difference or a company trying to sell you a set of wheels?

Mind you, they got the tyres right!  s:) :) s:)

Simon

evileye_wrx

Halfords sell Oz wheels. I'd go into your local branch and tell them exactly what you want. They know bot all about wheels and tyres and offsets etc so just tell them. Oh, and if your in the Toon don't go to the branch at Kingston Park, the manager there is my hated enemy, the guy is a pure cock.

Oh, other good thing about Halfords, you can get credit

Phil
Phil

Black 05 Subaru Impreza WRX Prodrive 265bhp
Ex Silverstone 03 Honda S2000GT 240bhp
Ex Silver 03 VX220 Turbo 200bhp
Ex Sable and Carbon 05 MR2 Roadster Turbo 205bhp

Anonymous

I'm confused (sorry am a girl!!) I jus bought a 2001 Mr2, totally delighted!! It seems to have 15" all round, am gona change alloys, should I stick with same size all round or go for bigger behind   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   Thanx

StuM

Quote from: "jreid31"I'm confused (sorry am a girl!!) I jus bought a 2001 Mr2, totally delighted!! It seems to have 15" all round, am going to change alloys, should I stick with same size all round or go for bigger behind   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   Thanx

Hi.

The MR2 MK3 comes in two basic flavours - pre and post-facelift (which came along in 2003).  The pre-facelift had 15" wheels all round, but the facelift one got 16" rears.  

There are other subtle (but important) differences between the two that a search will reveal.

Cheers,
Stu
Stu M

Ex 2001 Lagoon Blue Mr2 Roadster
Now - 1985 VW T25 Panel Van \":-)\"

Anonymous

Thanks, I've figured it out now but still cant decide whether to stick with 15's all round or go for 16's?

markiii

what would make you want 16"s?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Thought 16's may look better?

northernalex

Quote from: "jreid31"I'm confused (sorry am a girl!!) I jus bought a 2001 Mr2, totally delighted!! It seems to have 15" all round, am going to change alloys, should I stick with same size all round or go for bigger behind   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   Thanx

Smaller behinds are better  s;) ;) s;)

Seriously though, smaller wheels = less weight = less rolling radius = less moment of intetia..

16's on the rear (with the correct stagger) gives a bit more wieght at the rear and maybe abit less oversteer
evileye_xc said:
"I already saw it. I\'m hoping to gain the record for the \'Person who is most quoted in signatures"

markiii

Quote from: "northernalex"16's on the rear (with the correct stagger) gives a bit more wieght at the rear and maybe abit less oversteer

not due to teh weight it doesn;t

northernalex

Quote from: "markiii"
Quote from: "northernalex"16's on the rear (with the correct stagger) gives a bit more wieght at the rear and maybe abit less oversteer

not due to the weight it doesn;t

Yes it does - but its not the only factor.
evileye_xc said:
"I already saw it. I\'m hoping to gain the record for the \'Person who is most quoted in signatures"

markiii

more weight means your more likely to get oversteer

Anonymous

I thought since the car came with 15's all round I should stick with same size all round? Maybe i'll just get them reconditioned..........................? Any thoughts about what looks best, original alloys or something different? Have seen the posting regarding alloys and just can't decide!   s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:

northernalex

Quote from: "jreid31"I thought since the car came with 15's all round I should stick with same size all round? Maybe i'll just get them reconditioned..........................? Any thoughts about what looks best, original alloys or something different? Have seen the posting regarding alloys and just can't decide!   s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:

IMHO there are only very few wheels that look any better than the stock ones. And also most of the (cheaper) aftermarket ones are heavier, which you dont want. With a black car, some people have gone for a refurb in a dark colour and it looks pretty good.

I've got a blue car and am thinking of a white re-furb. Just have to find 180 quid to get it done.
evileye_xc said:

evileye_wrx

Quote from: "northernalex"
Quote from: "jreid31"I thought since the car came with 15's all round I should stick with same size all round? Maybe i'll just get them reconditioned..........................? Any thoughts about what looks best, original alloys or something different? Have seen the posting regarding alloys and just can't decide!   s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:

IMHO there are only very few wheels that look any better than the stock ones. And also most of the (cheaper) aftermarket ones are heavier, which you dont want. With a black car, some people have gone for a refurb in a dark colour and it looks pretty good.

I've got a blue car and am thinking of a white re-furb. Just have to find 180 quid to get it done.

Have you looked on Japnortheast Alex? I think you can get it done cheaper than that. Have a look for Stella Blast and I think there is a place in Shiremoor as well tho can't remember of the top of my head.

Phil
Phil

Black 05 Subaru Impreza WRX Prodrive 265bhp
Ex Silverstone 03 Honda S2000GT 240bhp
Ex Silver 03 VX220 Turbo 200bhp
Ex Sable and Carbon 05 MR2 Roadster Turbo 205bhp

Anonymous

Or do you think red may be nice? A nice dark red??   s:D :D s:D

northernalex

Quote from: "jreid31"Or do you think red may be nice? A nice dark red??   s:D :D s:D

That could be pretty sexy  actually!
evileye_xc said:

Anonymous

Thanks!

Anonymous

Now had my wheels refurbed in gold with silver sparkle, calipers painted red, company did a great job but still querying over if I like the gold.......   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   Will get some pics up soon as I can

Anonymous

well for the price a new set would have cost you could have em done again in a different finish.

Tags: