AFR pegs lean when trying to get going..

Started by aaronjb, August 4, 2008, 10:24

aaronjb

That's the one!

Just a shame it'd cost so damn much to get it trailered up there.. it'd probably work out cheaper to buy a runaround while this is off the road and then fix the '2 at my leisure (yeah, because we know how that worked out with the Z!).

Parents are coming up at the weekend to give me a hand with it.. and tomorrow, assuming it doesn't hurl it down all day, I'll see if I can re-do all the injector clips. With.. something.

Stu-darling, what does your electricians brain say is the best way to do it?

I really like the fact that I have both clips attached right now, as I can easily switch between injectors.. I was thinking of using the really tiny (4mm wide) spade connectors and then shrink wrap over them to hold them in place as a relatively easy switch-between mechanism that allows the clips to be disconnected during maintenance (or, to put the bastard things back together again, like now!).

Thoughts? Perils? OMGDONTDOITS?

And yes, I realise soldering would be better, but I figure the little spades, one turned into a big shrink-wrap mass, aren't going to come apart easily without a stanley knife to free them from their shrunken straight jackets..
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

markiii

Quote from: "aaronjb"Parents are coming up at the weekend to give me a hand with it.. and tomorrow, assuming it doesn't hurl it down all day, ..

your moms a mechanic?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

aaronjb

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  no - she'll be here to go get food from Asda and cook for me..  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

My Dad knows his way around cars, though - although his knowledge is a bit out of date.. he stopped and asked me if I'd checked my carb jets earlier.

Oh god how I wish cars were still that simple!
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)

Anonymous

Quote from: "markiii"aah the Dan approach  :-) :-) :-)
Nothing wrong with that when it works and all else has failed  s;) ;) s;)

aaronjb

Is it mandatory that I sell it straight after, though?

Anonymous

Oh no, you get to keep it for a whole year first  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

aaronjb

Oh yeah - during which time I remove any over-the-top mods, right?  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

Now you're getting the hang of it!  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

loadswine

It sounds as though you're nearly there now mate, please hang in there. I know it can be a bit of a f***pig when it does things like this, but I really think this will be one of those special Roadsters when done.
Plus I want a ride in it!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Tem

Aaron, you could always tow it to me, I'd love to figure it out.  s:D :D s:D
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

You could tow it to me, too.   s:) :) s:)

aaronjb

Now those would be some expensive tow jobs..

aaronjb

Oh yes, I forgot to add - I ordered all this from CTP yesterday:

PCV valve
MAF
Spare MAF O-rings (my universal ones are too thick)
Spare injector O-rings (I'm bound to bugger one up sooner or later)
PCV hose (in case this one has a split in it that I can't see)

So I'll replace all that at the weekend.  And for the injector connector - it turns out those little mini spade connectors are a bugger to push together and pull apart, so for now I'll just see if I can't remake the injector clip on the car.  Seeing as how things keep falling apart, it's probably best if I touch as little as possible!

Tem

Quote from: "aaronjb"And for the injector connector - it turns out those little mini spade connectors are a bugger to push together and pull apart, so for now I'll just see if I can't remake the injector clip on the car.  Seeing as how things keep falling apart, it's probably best if I touch as little as possible!

I never bothered with the connectors, I just have the wires (with some heat shrink around them, so they can't touch) and they seem to fit anything. The stocks (obviously), Sards and Greddys at least.

And I have no cover to keep water out, but it never seemed to hurt. Not after rain, not during rain, not with pressure washing the engine bay.

They've also been off and on few dozen times.

aaronjb

That is another option, if I can't fix this connector.. just two little spades to slip over the pins on the injector.

Seemed kinda ghetto, though.  Sorry Tem..  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Incidentally in the rain only one of my four plug wells had water in - I think that's because (it turns out) they weren't bolted down properly  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  but were a little loose. Ahem. Don't know how that could have happend!  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

aaronjb

Ok, Ghetto it is!

There was already a blob of solder in this connector (which appeared to have totally missed the wire), so I can't re-make it.  Little spade connector it is, then - I could spend the rest of my life looking through the RS website trying to find a match for the pin itself  s:? :? s:?

aaronjb

Still no luck  s:( :( s:(

Fixed the injector, pretty sure all four are working fine now and.. still that big hole in the fuelling in the middle of the map.

It has the exact symptoms of a vacuum leak that I just cannot find.

I tried online autotuning of fuel to tune it out, but whatever I do.. Copilot just refuses to actually do online fuel tuning.  I've never managed to get it to work  s:( :( s:(  Offline? No problem at all - it calculates that it needs to add fuel in the cells that are lean from the same log, but online? Nothing. Not even a thing. Not even an error that it couldn't change the cells it just.. does nothing.

Oh, and the clutch is making a horrible noise now (no, I mean a bad horrible noise), and the gearbox has started to whine.

Honestly.. I should just call it a day.

kanujunkie

theres another way, create a disconnectable loom so that you can just plug and play with whatever loom you want, in this scenario because of space i'd use some splices called jiffy connectors which are basically minature pin and socket connectors that look like ordinary splices but can be twisted in the middle and reconnected to another, if you can wait a couple of weeks then i can try and source some at work and come over after work with the correct tooling and make up what you require, then if ever you want to swap back the injectors then you can in 2 minutes, but at the same time there wont be any issues from other connectors that are lieing about getting wet

what say ye?
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

aaronjb

I think I'll probably have set light to the car by then  s;) ;) s;)

No 1 injector is now just two of the miniature spade connectors as the proper connector is truly fucked and unusable, so it probably doesn't matter.  Long term, if I keep the car, it might be nice.. but for now I'm sure the connectors are working.. just not everything else.

I dunno.. my folks are coming up this weekend, and I think I'll get them to ferry me around to find a runaround to buy - and if I do that.. I suspect I'll just leisurely put the car back to standard and then sell it before it starts falling apart around me  s:( :( s:(

kanujunkie

Quote from: "aaronjb"I suspect I'll just leisurely put the car back to standard and then sell it before it starts falling apart around me  s:( :( s:(

s:( :( s:(
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Tem

Quote from: "aaronjb"Seemed kinda ghetto, though.  Sorry Tem..  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

It is.  s:D :D s:D

My injectors were used and didn't came with anything but the injectors. Didn't find a cheap solution for getting the plugs that fit them (plus I need to get the stock injectors back yearly). So I did that as a temporary quick fix...isn't that how all the permanent stuff starts?  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

markiii

Quote from: "aaronjb"Still no luck  s:( :( s:(

Fixed the injector, pretty sure all four are working fine now and.. still that big hole in the fuelling in the middle of the map.

It has the exact symptoms of a vacuum leak that I just cannot find.

I tried online autotuning of fuel to tune it out, but whatever I do.. Copilot just refuses to actually do online fuel tuning.  I've never managed to get it to work  s:( :( s:(  Offline? No problem at all - it calculates that it needs to add fuel in the cells that are lean from the same log, but online? Nothing. Not even a thing. Not even an error that it couldn't change the cells it just.. does nothing.

Oh, and the clutch is making a horrible noise now (no, I mean a bad horrible noise), and the gearbox has started to whine.

Honestly.. I should just call it a day.

prerssure test that bloody intake manifold
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

VVT-i

There is an intake manifold on Ebay...

m http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Toyota-MR2-MK3-Ro ... .m14.l1318 m

2005 MR2 Roadster  (Black)
P.E. Turbo and other stuff that gives 234BHP  \";)\"

Quote from: \"Wabbitkilla\"Mine is a bit stiff when cold, but once it\'s warmed up it slips in nicely.

markiii

there4s one in his garage as well  :-) :-) :-)

he just needs to see if it's needed

Anonymous

Copilot auto tuning: Answered partially on SC today.  Must have min and max for base map and just the min (leading and trailing, even though only one actually does something in a 1ZZ) for ignition.  Also must have O2 feedback disabled.  If any of these conditions don't exist, it won't enable the checkbox for auto tuning.  If there is some other problem, say the checkbox is enabled, you check it, but it doesn't auto tune, let me know.  Other than specifying the number of cells that need changing before it will do any writes and the number of samples it needs per cell, I can't think of anything.  Well, there is also a setting for what is "close enough" (difference in AFR), but I think you must have that setup right.  It is probably the number of cells that need changing before it will write, since that's strictly an Online thing.

By the way, If the Min or Max value for a cell would be exceeded as a result of the calculations, it won't change the cell at all.  That's to guard against a dodgy wideband input... you wouldn't want to have it make changes that don't seem "reasonable" (as defined by the min and max maps).  The border color for cells that are Min- or Max-limited will be different to show you this.  There will be a message in the Message Log (can see that via View-->Message Log while running or opening the file in MessageLogs directory afterwards) whenever it would exceed a Min or Max limit.   Look for any other messages in the log that are bold and/or in color.

Tags: