Leather Seat Covers

Started by uktotty, August 4, 2008, 12:31

uktotty

After searching through some threads and finding them all locked, I thought I would start a new one!
Does anyone know how hard it is to fit new leather seat covers over the existing seats?
Do you remove all the cloth or just cover it all over?
Obviously I will remove the seats for ease of access but do I need to watch out for anything in particular?
does anyone have any experience in this?

markiii

you remove teh cloth and throw it away

if you go to any joe bloggs upholsterer they will use this as a template for teh leather

go somewhere like LSC and they will swap your whole seats

want to see how the seats come apart search for Grants thread on heated seats where he shows you how to dismantle them
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

uktotty

Cheers Mark, so easy job? 1 hour, full day?

markiii

can you qualify what the job is?

full strip and recover?

make teh leather?

dismantle teh seats?

you or teh upholsterer?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

uktotty

Bought custom made leather seat covers for the 2
So I am guessing I will receive a pair of correct size covers by mail and I will have to fit.
That's all I know currently

markiii

right then so not that custom as they weren't made for your seats  :-) :-) :-)

follow the article I mentioned on heated seats it will explain everything

based on when Liz did hers allow a day and it's a pain

don't expect a perfect wrinkle free fit if they weren't made for your seats as there are tolerances

uktotty

Damn, I didnt realise that all the seats in a production un were different  s:( :( s:(
cant find Grants thread but found one from Stu
 m http://www.mr2roc.org/Repository/misc/referencelib ... ersRHD.pdf m

So did Liz do her own?

Liz

You could always ask me direct rather than like I am not here!
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

markiii

uktotty

Quote from: "Liz"You could always ask me direct rather than like I am not here!
Sorry I was going to ask you but you weren't online at the time Mark and I were discussing it, I was going to ask your advice once I had discovered if you had indeed fitted your own covers. Seems whatever I do with you I just cant get it quite right!

Quote from: "markiii"http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=6370&p=77353&hilit=heated+seats+wiring#p77353

Cheers Mark, will see what happens when they arrive.

Liz

Quote from: "uktotty"Seems whatever I do with you I just cant get it quite right!

s:| :| s:|  

In order to answer your question though - it was actually Simon that done them, as Mark says - take a day on it.  Depends on how well you want to do them really.  As the link states - make sure that you take off everything as you remove the cloth, we used cable ties as replacements which works well.  You will see that underneath the seat there are bits of opaque plastic attached to the cloth which pull onto the frame in order to tension the fabric.  Simon took the time on mine to stitch those pieces of plastic back onto the leather and reattached the to the seat bottom ensuring that it was a snug fit.  Do post up piccies when done, where did you get the covers from?  Mine were from Chromdesign.

uktotty

Nice one, thanks for the feedback and the advice, I actually purchased mine from a dude on Spyderchat, his communications were great, really hope the product is up to scratch. I have gone for blue with orange trims and stitching, I like orange just hope it works.
Will get some pics of the process and hopefully the end result too  s:) :) s:)

DannyN

Your definitely going to have to call your car UKtotty Colours of Bennetton    s:D :D s:D
Quote from: \"DannyN\"There are 10 types of people in the world,
Those who understand Binary and those that don\'t...

[size=75]Black 51 165 BHP - Hardtop ON - Teins - Apexi Power FC - AEM Induction (Cleaned) - Crower Cams - Forged Pistons - Iridium Plugs - Zero Manifold - SP Downpipe - H&S - TRD SS - Corkys MSMB - Goodridge - \'03 Vents - Devs - Bamas - Crystal Indies - Mongos.
[/size]

uktotty

LOL Most of it matches Danny  s:) :) s:)
But hey I live in a colourful world

markiii

Quote from: "uktotty"LOL Most of it matches Danny  s:) :) s:)
But hey I live in a colourblind world

fixed for you
  s:D :D s:D

davidhowson

Russ
I have changed my seat covers, twice!
The first time I swapped for the later design (the one with the hole in the top of the back rest) which involved cutting out a lump of the back rest foam and more recently I have changed to the TF300 style. On each occasion it was a day's work to swap them over. Getting the new covers tight enough so as not to have bulges or wrinkles is the hard part. I also fitted the new covers using small cable ties rather than trying to reuse the copper clips - you will understand this more once you have taken your aold covers off.
I'm sure if you take your time, you can do it.

uktotty

Cheers David
Very informative!
Just wating for them to arrive now, not sure of the quality or the fit so fingers crossed.

uktotty

Well they have arrived today from Manilla!
Damn they are bright!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous

I fear you have been sent two lifejackets by mistake.  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

uktotty

LMAO!!

Anonymous

Do you sail at Burghfield?

Liz

Quote from: "uktotty"I have gone for blue with orange trims and stitching, I like orange just hope it works.

Did they get it the wrong way around, I imagined mainly blue with orange highlights...boy they are bright - your shirts will blend in with your seats!  Hope they fit ok, have fun with the fitting and post pictures!

uktotty

Quote from: "Liz"
Quote from: "uktotty"I have gone for blue with orange trims and stitching, I like orange just hope it works.

Did they get it the wrong way around, I imagined mainly blue with orange highlights...boy they are bright - your shirts will blend in with your seats!  Hope they fit ok, have fun with the fitting and post pictures!

My fault Ithink Liz, I assumed that orange seat pads would get stained so I went for the darker on the seat and the orange on the edges, Just seems there is a lot more EDGE than Middle!

Barney Bear

s:D :D s:D  At least you will see them in the dark given how poor our interior lights are

dont forget your looking at them flat once fitted sure they will look fine   s:D :D s:D
54 Sable, Air con, hardtop

Tem

Quote from: "markiii"you remove the cloth and throw it away

Might get £50 or so from them, if they are in good condition.  s8) 8) s8)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Tags: