Engine Conversion

Started by NickNJ, August 26, 2008, 14:11

NickNJ

Had a quick search but can only find aftermarket turbos.

Has anyone fitted the mr2 turbo engine into a roadster, if so how much work was involved?
Black MR2 Roadster

uktotty

Must have been a VERY quick search to not see any of the 5004 posts about Turbo

NickNJ

Yep, saw them but they were all TTE etc which has no interest to me whatsoever.
Black MR2 Roadster

uktotty

The Hass seems very popular but there are many options, why dont you want the TTE?

aaronjb

It could be done, nobody to my knowledge has done it (it's just not cost effective when you're the first person trying to do it).

IIRC Rogue swapped a Beams 3S-GE into a Mk3, at least 90% done, and it involved hacking up the back of the car to make it fit.
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

NickNJ

Quote from: "aaronjb"It could be done, nobody to my knowledge has done it (it's just not cost effective when you're the first person trying to do it).

IIRC Rogue swapped a Beams 3S-GE into a Mk3, at least 90% done, and it involved hacking up the back of the car to make it fit.

Thats not what i want to hear, was hoping someone would have already done it. Not keen on going into Blind.

the 3s-Ge is that about 180bhp? Would probs rather just bolt on a turbo tbh. Think i'll just search the internet and see if anyone has done it in America.

thanks Aaron.
Black MR2 Roadster

aaronjb

It's been asked, repeatedly, on SC..

Each time the answer has been "Don't be stupid, go away", basically  s;) ;) s;)

It weighs more, considerably more, doesn't gain you a whole lot and will cost a bunch and require a custom wiring loom, custom stuff to run the gauges properly, and hacking up of the back of the car.

Easier to just drop a turbo kit on - unless you really think you need more than 270-280bhp (and then, do forged internals and low compression pistons on the 1ZZ, a few other things, and head toward 400bhp with gusto).  The only downside really is the gearbox, as it's made of chocolate when you're talking 400bhp cars, so plan on replacing it often..
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

NickNJ

Not what I want to hear but at least you've saved me the trouble of finding out if it's feasible. Will check out the turbo kits then   s:( :( s:(  thanks.
Black MR2 Roadster

enid_b

Quote from: "uktotty"Must have been a VERY quick search to not see any of the 5004 posts about Turbo

whoopsies russ, seems like in your rush to chastise you missed the actual wording of the OP. lol

E  s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D
Ex \'51 Roadster, now  Verso SR !!! the official MR2ROC support vehicle.
Quote from: \"markiii to deej\"the difference will be because your old plugs were fubared

a bloke with a flint would likely have been an improvement

Star_69

Quote from: "aaronjb"IIRC Rogue swapped a Beams 3S-GE into a Mk3, at least 90% done, and it involved hacking up the back of the car to make it fit.

Looked complete when I saw it. Very tidy job. I was told it was awaiting a big turbo!   s:D :D s:D
-Brad
Owner of an \'03 plate "Ship of Theseus" aka Trigger\'s Broom Roadster [strike]1zz-f[/strike]e, [strike]supercharged 2zz-ge,[/strike] 2GR-FE

Innocent

Head over to the twobrutal forum and ask some questions. They really are the people in the know for all MR2 engine swaps. Theres a guy trying to squeeze and Audi S8 (V8) into a MK3 at the moment!!!!!

Star_69

Thats nuts! Trying to squeeze an audi s8 into a parking space is hard enough!
-Brad
Owner of an \'03 plate "Ship of Theseus" aka Trigger\'s Broom Roadster [strike]1zz-f[/strike]e, [strike]supercharged 2zz-ge,[/strike] 2GR-FE

loadswine

If you're serious about getting a 3s-gte lump into a Roadster, have a chat with Paul Woods, he reckons he can do it.
It was going to be my backup plan if we couldn't get the V6 to fit.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

uktotty

Quote from: "enid_b"
Quote from: "uktotty"Must have been a VERY quick search to not see any of the 5004 posts about Turbo

whoopsies russ, seems like in your rush to chastise you missed the actual wording of the OP. lol

E  s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D

Very true, saw turbo and thought he wanted a turbo, not a whole engine!!
Appologies   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

tom_deas

Quote from: "uktotty"The Hass seems very popular but there are many options, why dont you want the TTE?

missed the point there Russ after reading the first post, he wants to drop in a 2.0T from a mk2  s:P :P s:P
[size=85]Che Manifold, Che Elise twin-centre Exhaust, Che RU Strutted, Eonon DoubDin 7" Touchscreen DVD player, yellow calipers, the tramp I ran over in my old car still following me around waiting to dive in front of me again.                   <---- you think im kidding?![/size]

Quotedo you want an ultra lightweight pulley to go with your "turbo" badge? if you treat me real nice i can tell you where on your car to put the turbo badge to get the full 20bhp gain! don\'t f*ck about, put the kettle on

Christopherathens

Quote from: "NickNJ"Has anyone fitted the mr2 turbo engine into a roadster, if so how much work was involved?

A guy here in Greece fitted the 3S-GTE engine in his Roadster MK3:

More here:
 m http://spyderchat.com/forums/index.php? ... try4739616 m

I agree with Aaron!!It is a rather heavy engine and probably doesn't suit the Roadster..
2zz-gZe powered by J.P.Motis / WEB3.0
325.7 hp

www.mr2rotrex.blogspot.com

MR2 Club Of Greece

loadswine

Forgive the slight thread drift here, but if you look over on Twobrutal, some outfit in New Zealand have just stripped down a Roadster and stuck a Hayabusa turbo in. All up weight ........... 600Kg!  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Rogue

Quote from: "NickNJ"
Quote from: "aaronjb"It could be done, nobody to my knowledge has done it (it's just not cost effective when you're the first person trying to do it).

Thats not what i want to hear, was hoping someone would have already done it. Not keen on going into Blind.

the 3s-Ge is that about 180bhp? Would probs rather just bolt on a turbo tbh. Think i'll just search the internet and see if anyone has done it in America.

thanks Aaron.

Been there, done that etc. etc!

Here's a picture of a stock 3SGTE engine mounted in my roadster chassis:

Engine was fully installed and running on a stock ECU and later a Link G3XLEM. Car was never driven on the road with a 3SGTE as the bigger project involved bodykit and suspension mods etc, and the engine was removed and replaced with a 3SGE BEAMS engine before that part was finished:

This time the car was road-tested and proven. You'll notice a tubular manifold in the above photo - this is because the engine installed was just for testing purposes and we have a fully forged lower compression BEAMS engine and Garret GT series turbo waiting in the wings.

We've also installed a number of 1MZFE V6 engines into roadsters (they're popular with the Ferarri 360 replica chaps) and around half a dozen 2ZZ conversions as well as a 2ZZ supercharger. There's not much we can't do!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Drop me a line if I can be of assistance.

Best regards,

Patrick Mortell
Rogue Motorsport Ltd
01676 530222

Tags: