Wheelnuts

Started by Anonymous, December 3, 2008, 10:54

Anonymous

Hi this is my first post on here so I do apologise if my question seems silly or has been answered before (although I have looked and cant see it anywhere!)

Right, first I have a 2000 MR2 Roadster and wanted to change the wheels I did buy some 18in wheels off ebay and put them on my car, then I found this website and saw that people thought they looked like rollerskates with 18in wheels on! I therefore took a good look at my car and agreed that they were to big!

I have now bought some 17in Wolfrace Shadow chrome alloys which I much prefer but I am having trouble with the wheel nuts! the standard ones are obviously way to big for the holes in the alloys, I only received 15 wheel nuts with the alloys (obviously one got lost somewhere) and they are really long and protrude outside the alloys and look crap! So I need to get some new ones but really dont kow where to look, the locking wheel nuts that I ordered also seem to be slightly to big as well in that the rounded end does not completely sit in the hole, but on the 18in wheels that I bought they did.

So really my question is. Do Wolfrace alloys need special nuts? and if so where do I get them from?

Any hope much appreciated!
p.s I have still got the original alloys on so dont think I am driving around with a car with incorrect nuts on!

TO-OLD

Hi and welcome  what was the 18s you had on as i am looking for some wheel  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:   anyway try this link but i am sure other on here will help also

m http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trks ... Categories m

Anonymous

Fantastic, thanks so much I found the ones I need straight away! thank you.

The 18in alloys were BSA but they were multispoke they were to blingy I think, I did manage to sell them again on ebaybut stupidly didnt put a reserve on them so lost out by about £60! that will teach me!!!

TO-OLD

No problem       dont forget to post up some pics of the car.  s:D :D s:D

kentsmudger

Welcome to the club! - Re wheels, have you read up on here about maintaining the stagger front-to-back on wheel/tyre width? Have a search on here before you spend any more money as this is a critical issue on these cars - THIS may be a good place to start.
[size=85] Unichip, full Hayward & Scott exhaust, race cat and manifold - markiii pipe, K & N panel, EBC Ultimax Slotted Discs, EBC pads, TTE springs, Corky\'s Breastplate, front & rear strut braces, brass shift bushes, Hankook Ventus V12 Evos, CG-Lock. Bama deflector, Mongos, Devs key cover, TTE gear-knob. My car and my pics of other cars.

[centre] 'I am, and ever will be a white socks, pocket protector, nerdy engineer' - Neil Armstrong (1930 – 2012) [/size][/centre]

Anonymous

Quote from: "cogsy1976"Hi this is my first post on here so I do apologise if my question seems silly or has been answered before (although I have looked and cant see it anywhere!)

Right, first I have a 2000 MR2 Roadster and wanted to change the wheels I did buy some 18in wheels off ebay and put them on my car, then I found this website and saw that people thought they looked like rollerskates with 18in wheels on! I therefore took a good look at my car and agreed that they were to big!

I have now bought some 17in Wolfrace Shadow chrome alloys which I much prefer but I am having trouble with the wheel nuts! the standard ones are obviously way to big for the holes in the alloys, I only received 15 wheel nuts with the alloys (obviously one got lost somewhere) and they are really long and protrude outside the alloys and look crap! So I need to get some new ones but really dont kow where to look, the locking wheel nuts that I ordered also seem to be slightly to big as well in that the rounded end does not completely sit in the hole, but on the 18in wheels that I bought they did.

So really my question is. Do Wolfrace alloys need special nuts? and if so where do I get them from?

Any hope much appreciated!
p.s I have still got the original alloys on so dont think I am driving around with a car with incorrect nuts on!

I think you need to look at "Tuner" nuts, they are specially for aftermarket rims, with a 60Deg taper and a 17mm hex drive which will fit your wheels. Also MacGuard do a "Tuner" locking wheel nut which as the same 60deg fitting on the end.

Hope this helps
Rob.

Anonymous

Hi guys thanks for the responses, I think I have ordered the right ones now so I will wait and see what turns up!

No I didnt stick to the stagger, I know I should of, I figured that I dont drive my car fast anyway and I never take corners to fast (although I am getting braver, as she does stick to the road!) so didnt bother, so if you see somebody in a roadster going round corners at 20mph thats me! I did notice the understeer when I had the 18in wheels on so I am expecting the same.

roger

Quote from: "cogsy1976"Hi guys thanks for the responses, I think I have ordered the right ones now so I will wait and see what turns up!

No I didnt stick to the stagger, I know I should of, I figured that I dont drive my car fast anyway and I never take corners to fast (although I am getting braver, as she does stick to the road!) so didnt bother, so if you see somebody in a roadster going round corners at 20mph thats me! I did notice the understeer when I had the 18in wheels on so I am expecting the same.

It doesn't take much...and of course it may not be your driving that requires a sudden change of direction.

You might like to consider some wider tyres on the rear (save the ones you have for the front replacements) before you get too brave.

And welcome by the way   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Anonymous

Welcome  s:D :D s:D  
 I urge you strongly to get the correct stagger on your car asap. To put it bluntly you are driving a ditch finder. This is especially true at this time of year with much reduced grip on the rods.
Now, you may think we are scaremongering here, you may reason that as you are not driving fast or cornering hard that the stagger is no big deal. You are of course entitled to your opinion as we are to ours. Consider this though, the combined wisdom on this forum, which is considerable, believes tyre stagger on our cars to be vitallly important.
For the sake of £150, which is probably less than your insurance excess, please get the correct staggered tyres on the rear this weekend.  s:D :D s:D

WillsSayers

lol, I thought 17" wheels rubbed for most people, yet alone 18"?!

I'll echo what everyone else has said about making the rear tyres wider than the front. It'll make a huge difference in grip in general, doesn't matter whether or not your self-justification of what 'fast cornering' is  s;) ;) s;)

]Appearance:[/b] :: Pre-facelift Toyota Bodykit :: Ducktail Spoiler :: TTE Style Bar :: Custard Gas Struts ::
Chassis: :: Front and Rear Strut Brace :: C-One Front and Rear Anti-roll Bar ::

Anonymous

Quote from: "cogsy1976"if you see somebody in a roadster going round corners at 20mph thats me!

It seems you and northernalex seperated at birth?

Anonymous

Thanks for all the replys has been very useful! what tyre size would you recommend for the rears? I think they all 205/40/17's at the moment but im not happy with the handling without the stagger so Im going to replace the two rears. what size would be best?

kentsmudger

Quote from: "cogsy1976"what tyre size would you recommend for the rears? I think they all 205/40/17's at the moment but I'm not happy with the handling without the stagger so I'm going to replace the two rears.

This thread details the last time this was covered. If you still need more info, have a read around the other existing threads and the search facility is there at the top of the page.
[size=85] Unichip, full Hayward & Scott exhaust, race cat and manifold - markiii pipe, K & N panel, EBC Ultimax Slotted Discs, EBC pads, TTE springs, Corky\'s Breastplate, front & rear strut braces, brass shift bushes, Hankook Ventus V12 Evos, CG-Lock. Bama deflector, Mongos, Devs key cover, TTE gear-knob. My car and my pics of other cars.

[centre] 'I am, and ever will be a white socks, pocket protector, nerdy engineer' - Neil Armstrong (1930 – 2012) [/size][/centre]

Anonymous

Thanks, went for 235/40/17's rears in the end, cost me £150 but I feel it is worth it, car feels much safer now. Thanks for all the advice

Tags: