Which models had LSD?

Started by Anonymous, April 8, 2009, 14:17

Anonymous

I have had a search on google and on the forums but I can't quite work out which cars have the LSD and what sort of LSD it is.

I think the following is correct:

All post-facelift UK cars have an LSD, all pre-facelift UK cars don't.

JDM models had an LSD as an option, which can be determined from the VIN plate under the transmission section. A denotes no LSD, B denotes LSD.

Is this correct?

Thanks

Chris

muffdan

I thought all UK cars had LSD ?
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

Anonymous

That was what I wasn't sure about to be honset. I wasn't sure if it was just the 6-speed boxes that had them.

Chris

aaronjb

All UK cars, regardless of year, have an LSD
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

Great, that's good to know! What type is it? E.g. Torsen, viscous etc.

Chris

aaronjb

Toyota only used one type in the production gearboxes - it's a helical diff.

I think there is a TRD branded aftermarket part that's a clutch diff, as well as an aftermarket helical from another company.. I think - I didn't look into it that much, the helical does me fine  s:) :) s:)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

Aaron

Not to dispell your thoery.  s:flame: :flame: s:flame:    I have a 2000 5 speed uk model, and having parked with one wheel on the grass verge and one on tarmac, subsequently "floored" the car the inner wheel on the grass just sat and spun  s:scared: :scared: s:scared:  

I assume this is the normal test to confirm if an lsd is fitted

Anonymous

Ah, Helical diffs don't work like that, they are torque multipliers, not locking diffs. Essentially, they multiply the torque transmitted by the faster turning wheel by a value set by the manufacturer, and transmit it to the slower turning wheel. So, if you have no torque at the spinning wheel, you will have no torque at the slower wheel. Torsen/helical diffs are designed to promote cornering stability and increased drive on the road.

For more info see wikipedia

Chris

Anonymous

apologies  s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:    s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:    s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:  

Just picked that up from an older thread  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Anonymous

No problem, now you can look really clever down the pub   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Tags: