Fitting New Stereo - audio shop recommendations

Started by Anonymous, June 15, 2009, 09:13

Anonymous

Just a quickie really, I am hoping to replace my 03 double din stereo with a standard single din.  I have read the post below,
http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=17670

can anyone tell me if there is an easier way of replacing the stereo, without unscrewing all of the panels etc, or is this the only way?

Also what bits will I need, I know i need the single din facia panel, but do i need a single din head unit cassette? I'm not sure if they come with the stereo or not.

Any help or guidance appreciated, failing that recommendations of any car audio places in south manchester also apprecaited.

davidarden

Thats the only way and its an absolute nightmare of a job! All I needed was a single din fascia adaptor and the ISO adaptor lead for the wiring in the back.

Have a look on http://www.spydermagazine.com there's a better guide on there somewhere.
2003 | Silver | TTE Springs | Twin H&S | No Precats | Toyo T1-R\'s | Red Calipers | De-badged | Pioneer DEH-50UB

enid_b

i disagree. its a relatively straighforward procedure. just make sure you have the ISO connector and the surround.  just take your time. honestly i did mine in about 40 minutes, including a couple of coffees.

if you get stuck gimme a shout
Ex \'51 Roadster, now  Verso SR !!! the official MR2ROC support vehicle.
Quote from: \"markiii to deej\"the difference will be because your old plugs were fubared

a bloke with a flint would likely have been an improvement

Liz

I changed mine from a double to a single and I'm female!
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Anonymous

Thanks, everyone.  I think I'll give it a go myself.  Let you know how i get on! May be i'll take some photos too.

wbarrwebster

Quote from: "Liz"I changed mine from a double to a single and I'm female!

Aye, but what a female!! lol  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

B
W. B. Webster

enid_b

Quote from: "enid_b"i disagree. its a relatively straighforward procedure. just make sure you have the ISO connector and the surround.  just take your time. honestly i did mine in about 40 minutes, including a couple of coffees.

if you get stuck gimme a shout

in fact, i have just changed mine back to stock. it took me 34 minutes. and that was with a little buggering about!!!  damm those fisher price stereos. i had forgotten just how nasty they are !!!!
Quote from: \"markiii to deej\"the difference will be because your old plugs were fubared

Gazz

OY J, where's my Jamiroquai CD    s:evil: :evil: s:evil:    s:evil: :evil: s:evil:
[size=80]Lotus Elise 111R, Larini Sports Exhaust [/size]

DannyN

Quote from: "Gazz"OY J, where's my Jamiroquai CD    s:evil: :evil: s:evil:    s:evil: :evil: s:evil:

Schoolboy error !
Quote from: \"DannyN\"There are 10 types of people in the world,
Those who understand Binary and those that don\'t...

[size=75]Black 51 165 BHP - Hardtop ON - Teins - Apexi Power FC - AEM Induction (Cleaned) - Crower Cams - Forged Pistons - Iridium Plugs - Zero Manifold - SP Downpipe - H&S - TRD SS - Corkys MSMB - Goodridge - \'03 Vents - Devs - Bamas - Crystal Indies - Mongos.
[/size]

Gazz

Guilty   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
[size=80]Lotus Elise 111R, Larini Sports Exhaust [/size]

enid_b

it made me laugh because when i fitted your stereo gazz, as i stuck the power lead in, it coughed and spluttered into life, and immediately spat out that jamiroquai disc!!!!

i have to agree with the fisher price though, it's not my cup of tea   s:D :D s:D  

you can have it back with pleasure, in fact i insist, in fact, i will set off with it right now. i just hope no one sees me with it.  s:D :D s:D  

thanks again

J

Anonymous

does anyone know of any good audio shops in Manchester, just stuck with b***dy halfords, or the internet, but I really want to have a look at them first!

Anonymous

bought my new head unit, an Alpine cde- 9880r looks pretty sweet etc.  I have taken out the old stereo etc and thought i had bought the correct iso adapter, however, there are loads of spare wires, and there were on 2 plastic connectors but there were 4 in the back of the original unit. I think the adaptor i had was only for the speakers not for the power etc.  Obviously i havent got a vlue what i'm doing and could do with some guidance.  Not sure if i might need another adaptor too.

spit

J is your man to help out with this Chris - its only a matter of days since he had his head in the footwell. If you get stuck, he's local and friendly.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

enid_b

where abouts in manchester are you.

ste is right. i fitted an alpine in my old girl, then only last week took it out and replaced the stock unit.  it really is simple, and i am more than happy to assist where possible.

s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

I'm in Stretford (not too far from Spit).  I have a mate coming round in a bit to offer some help.  I'll let you know if we get stuck.

Thanks

enid_b

good luck chap

Anonymous

I can't believe how easy that was it really did take 10 mins.  I was basically a bit nervous as there were 2 spare iso connectors i nthe car that were un-needed and a couple of spare bullet connectors on the iso conector that were probably for subs or something.  If i had know that yesterday i would have had it sorted on my own (all i really needed was a bit of support while doing it).  Although i did also have to go an buy an aerial adapter as the Alpine one is non-standard.  

thanks for the offers of help.  Nice new Stereo fitted.

Ps for anyone looking for guidance fitting a stereo, it really is ridiculously easy, do it yourself and follow the thread at the top of this page!

enid_b

good work chap.

Anonymous

Enid_b, out of interest do you have any idea what the 2 spare connectors out of the back of the toyota double din are for (the long one and a medium sized one).  Everything seems to be working ok now, but just wondered why there were 4 connectors in the double din.  They only appear to have 2 or 3 wires in each and they are quite thin so are probably nothing to do with power?

enid_b

a wild guess would be that it is for some other super douper head unit that could be fitted as standard by toyota. you are correct in that it is no longer required for a single head unit and the iso adaptor.

i did look at it a couple of times, and could not make head nor tail of it.  as the replacement worked without them being connected, i thought no more of it.

perhaps someone else has a more accurate answer.   s:D :D s:D

Tags: