Wheels

Started by nathanMR2, June 27, 2009, 17:03

nathanMR2

Will the rear standard 16" wheels fit on the front ok?

Im due to get tyres sorted soon and i understand they need to be staggered. Just wasnt sure if the actual rim is any wider. Im guessing it isnt but just wanted to make sure.
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

aaronjb

They'll fit if you remove the little peg designed to stop you doing so.

IIRC the fronts are 15x6J and the rears 16x6.5J on the post-03, so yes, the wheel itself is wider.
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

nathanMR2

Quote from: "aaronjb"They'll fit if you remove the little peg designed to stop you doing so.

IIRC the fronts are 15x6J and the rears 16x6.5J on the post-03, so yes, the wheel itself is wider.

Would this effect the handling? Is it not really recommended?

I was just looking to have 16" all the way around, but standard toyota wheels.

I was going to get some 17's but i leave my car parked up all day and im alittle worried they would get pinched and ill come back to find my car on the deck at some point.

enid_b

Quote from: "nathanMR2"
Quote from: "aaronjb"They'll fit if you remove the little peg designed to stop you doing so.

Would this effect the handling? Is it not really recommended?

I was just looking to have 16" all the way around, but standard toyota wheels.

I was going to get some 17's but i leave my car parked up all day and Im alittle worried they would get pinched and ill come back to find my car on the deck at some point.

do people still actually steal alloys? i thought this pastime had withered away.

re 16" all round.  enter the terms  'hedge' and 'ditch' into the search engine.
Ex \'51 Roadster, now  Verso SR !!! the official MR2ROC support vehicle.
Quote from: \"markiii to deej\"the difference will be because your old plugs were fubared

a bloke with a flint would likely have been an improvement

uktotty

E I dont think that is strictly fair as I have 15 all round as per MrT's intention, sizes dont ditch cars, widths do

enid_b

fair doooo's russ.
Ex \'51 Roadster, now  Verso SR !!! the official MR2ROC support vehicle.
Quote from: \"markiii to deej\"the difference will be because your old plugs were fubared

a bloke with a flint would likely have been an improvement

nyeregis

But standard 16"ers are the same width!!

Tony
Lagoon blue, hardtop, Corky\'s, Hass turbo, E Manage, A/C. Kirks.

aaronjb

Quote from: "nyeregis"But standard 16"ers are the same width!!

Tony

No they are not.
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)

markiii

post 03 has 15 x 6" front and 16x7" rear
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

aaronjb

Actually yes.. I suppose Tony is right isn't he - standard 16" wheels are the same width..

But then they're only fitted to one axle as standard so I'd really hope they were the same width  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

kentsmudger

Quote from: "aaronjb"...standard 16" wheels are the same width...But then they're only fitted to one axle as standard ...
Quote from: "nathanMR2"I was just looking to have 16" all the way around, but standard toyota wheels.
But the OP wants to put 16"s on the front and rear axles - Same front and rear so no width stagger - Isn't that a bad plan?
[size=85] Unichip, full Hayward & Scott exhaust, race cat and manifold - markiii pipe, K & N panel, EBC Ultimax Slotted Discs, EBC pads, TTE springs, Corky\'s Breastplate, front & rear strut braces, brass shift bushes, Hankook Ventus V12 Evos, CG-Lock. Bama deflector, Mongos, Devs key cover, TTE gear-knob. My car and my pics of other cars.

[centre] 'I am, and ever will be a white socks, pocket protector, nerdy engineer' - Neil Armstrong (1930 – 2012) [/size][/centre]

aaronjb

Yes and no.. the important thing is to maintain the stagger in the width of the contact patch..

You can have the same width wheel with different width tyres installed (in fact, I have two sets of wheels just like that - one set is 16x6.5J and the other is 15x6J), but because of the way tyres stretch & flex when installed even if you keep the stock stagger in tyre widths, if the wheels aren't the same width then you will be changing the effective stagger in the contact patch.

Generally speaking, you'll end up reducing the stagger - so if the OP fits 16x7J to the front and manages to stretch 195's onto them (I'm actually not sure 195s will even fit) they'll get stretched out so that the contact patch is much more like the 215s on the rear..

You definitely change the balance of the car when you depart from the stock sizes front & rear - whether that's good or bad depends on how much you change it, and what you're aiming to achieve..

nathanMR2

What size tyres would be best to go on these on the basis of best performance?

7J X17" ET40 PCD 4X100

Anonymous

Having read all the posts and stickies I am confused.
My x reg 2000 has 185-55-15's Bridgestone RE040 all round. Wheels are original. It's only done 35k but all tyres have plenty of tread - they may have been replaced by the previous owner.
What should I be wearing?

nathanMR2

Quote from: "Yoyodyne"Having read all the posts and stickies I am confused.
My x reg 2000 has 185-55-15's Bridgestone RE040 all round. Wheels are original. It's only done 35k but all tyres have plenty of tread - they may have been replaced by the previous owner.

The standard wheels on the back are wider than the front.

gavw71

Quote from: "Yoyodyne"Having read all the posts and stickies I am confused.

Rears should be 205/50/15 (see link below for standard set ups)

http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=24453
17" Team Dynamics Pro-Race 1.2\'s, TTE lowering springs, front & rear strut top braces, Markiii inlet pipe, K&N panel filter, CHE header, Magnex dual exit exhaust, Dastek Unichip, re-map by Noble Motorsport.

Anonymous

Read all that.
Problem now is no-one has any REO40 in 205/50/15;  I think I read that it is discontinued
So is it a case of replacing ALL 4 with something else or just the rears?  Toyo's seem to be in favour at the moment.
If I replace just the rears am I going to end up in a ditch somewhere due to incompatability between front and rear.  Is there a market for s/h 185/55/15 Bridgestones or do I keep them for when the fronts wear out?
I don't drive all-out, I'm not a boy racer but I want the car to be safe - my wife drives it as well.

Tags: