Disable Passenger Airbag??

Started by uktotty, June 29, 2009, 21:43

uktotty

Can you do this for baby seats??

blahpony

Yes. There should be a key switch in the glove box.

aaronjb

Quote from: "blahpony"Yes. There should be a key switch in the glove box.

Not on UK cars - that's a US-model only feature
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

blahpony

Really? How odd.

aaronjb

Yep - I think the disable ability is mandated by law in the US, right? (But not over here)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

blahpony

The law is for child seats and small humans. It just seems strange they don't have the same law over there. Hmm, learn something new everyday.

custardavenger

Not sure you've supposed to carry a child seat in the 2. But, you can unplug it from inside the glove box. Yellow wire I believe.
[size=150]Custard\'s Bonnet/Engine Cover Struts[/size] Clicky Round 2
Custard\'s Bracing Clicky Coming soon
Project Custard Clicky

uktotty

Cheers Rob, dont worry I am not having a baby I am just fat

campbell

Is the rule not just for rear facing child seats?  i have a 17 month old girl (called Elise) and i thought it was ok to put her in a front facing "toddler" seat   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  in the MR2!  I've never been pulled over, but thats not the point she needs to be safe
Ex cars
1983 VW Polo 1.0, 2000 Renault Clio 1.2, 1984 VW Mk2 Golf Gti, 1992 Citroen AX Gti, 1989 Mk1 MR2 T-bar, 1992 Mk3 VW Golf Gti, 1998 Mk 4 Ford Fiesta D, 1996 S2 106 XND, 1989 ST185 Toyota Celica GT-Four (Ltd Edn), 1998 Mk3 Golf Gti, 1994 Ford Mondeo Si, 1991 Mk2 Toyota MR2, 1990 205 Gti, 1994 ST205 Toyota Celica GT-Four, 2000 Renault Laguna DCi, 1997 VW Golf Colour Concept, 1999 Vauxhall Corsa Sport, 1998 106 GTi, 1999 Mk4 VW Golf TDI ...

...Current
2003 BMW 530i Champagne II Ltd Edn
2001 Mk3 Toyota MR2
1998 Corsa Redtop (For Crail also for sale!)

uktotty

Seems the DFT say its only for rear facing seats due to the seat  being closer to the airbag at time of explosion, Elise should be fine mate.

onion86

Quote from: "campbell"Is the rule not just for rear facing child seats?  i have a 17 month old girl (called Elise) and i thought it was ok to put her in a front facing "toddler" seat   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  in the MR2!  I've never been pulled over, but thats not the point she needs to be safe

For front facing ones I think it's more (afaik) the fact that children are 'short' and so the airbag will wack them in the face and give them concussion and/or smother + suffocate them. You're not techincally advised to have young children in the front seat at all (although obviously can't help that in the '2), it's possibly best to have the airbag off if you have one in as the baby seats are pretty safe and hold them in. (I could be completely wrong though)

For rear facing seats it's just a big no-no which doesn't really need explaining.
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

kentsmudger

Quote from: "onion86"
Quote from: "campbell"Is the rule not just for rear facing child seats? i have a 17 month old girl (called Elise) and i thought it was ok to put her in a front facing "toddler" seat  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  in the MR2! I've never been pulled over, but thats not the point she needs to be safe

For front facing ones I think it's more (afaik) the fact that children are 'short' and so the airbag will wack them in the face and give them concussion and/or smother + suffocate them. You're not techincally advised to have young children in the front seat at all (although obviously can't help that in the '2), it's possibly best to have the airbag off if you have one in as the baby seats are pretty safe and hold them in. (I could be completely wrong though).

The question is how old is the child? (or more importantly, how tall are they?) If they are big enough to go in an appropriate front-facing child seat or booster then you are fine.

There is no legal reason why a child cannot travel in the front seat with an air-bag - The Department of Transport says -
 "If you do carry children facing forward in the front seat, they should always be properly restrained and the seat should be latched as far back as possible."
[size=85] Unichip, full Hayward & Scott exhaust, race cat and manifold - markiii pipe, K & N panel, EBC Ultimax Slotted Discs, EBC pads, TTE springs, Corky\'s Breastplate, front & rear strut braces, brass shift bushes, Hankook Ventus V12 Evos, CG-Lock. Bama deflector, Mongos, Devs key cover, TTE gear-knob. My car and my pics of other cars.

[centre] 'I am, and ever will be a white socks, pocket protector, nerdy engineer' - Neil Armstrong (1930 – 2012) [/size][/centre]

Tem

I think you can retrofit the US airbag cut off switch to EU cars. Think in bold, cause I'm not 100% sure and never actually tried it. But the airbag itself and the wiring seems to be the same and it just fits inbetween the wiring.

I know it was that easy on a Corolla, so why not in the Spyder/Roadster too.

On the downside, that switch was ridiculously overpriced, over 400eur. But I guess you could buy a used one from US from anyone who dismantles a wrecked car.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

campbell

cheers guys, i'll look in to disabling it somehow

Lee
Ex cars
1983 VW Polo 1.0, 2000 Renault Clio 1.2, 1984 VW Mk2 Golf Gti, 1992 Citroen AX Gti, 1989 Mk1 MR2 T-bar, 1992 Mk3 VW Golf Gti, 1998 Mk 4 Ford Fiesta D, 1996 S2 106 XND, 1989 ST185 Toyota Celica GT-Four (Ltd Edn), 1998 Mk3 Golf Gti, 1994 Ford Mondeo Si, 1991 Mk2 Toyota MR2, 1990 205 Gti, 1994 ST205 Toyota Celica GT-Four, 2000 Renault Laguna DCi, 1997 VW Golf Colour Concept, 1999 Vauxhall Corsa Sport, 1998 106 GTi, 1999 Mk4 VW Golf TDI ...

...Current
2003 BMW 530i Champagne II Ltd Edn
2001 Mk3 Toyota MR2
1998 Corsa Redtop (For Crail also for sale!)

Thudd

Mind you don't set it off. That would be a bad thing.

cclarke99

You don't need anything special for the switch. Just a SPDT (changeover) switch and a 1.0ohm resistor. Connect the changeover contact to the one of the wires from the SRS ECU. Connect one of the other contacts to the Airbag. Connect the resistor from the other contact to the other side of the Airbag, so when the Airbag is disabled the resistor fools the ECU into thinking that the Airbag is still connected so you don't get any warning lights.

paul3461

mines  A uk one and it has the keylock in the glovebox too

Tags: