Amp behind seats?

Started by MRMike, February 18, 2004, 12:13

MRMike

Does anyone know if there is any electrical/fuel/etc lines directly behind the seats,  I'm going to place my amp this weekend behind the seats on the velour.  Noticed from doing a search that coley had his amp behind the passenger seat so i presume its okay for this side but how about behind the driver?

Thanks for any advice
[size=75]*Sold 03 UK spec, silver, Red Interior TTE Twin, Euro spoiler, TTE Chrome roll bar, Blitz Induction, VVTI Badged, Pioneer SAT Nav/DAB Tuner, Boston Acoustics Components, Boston amp, Gtech Pro C, TRD Gearknob, B&M linkage, Bama Deflector, Chrome dials, Corky Breast Plate, TTE springs,

Then.. Blue 350Z
and den....black S2000 with red leather interior  
and den.... New Imola Orange S2000
and den.....BMW Z4 3.0 - Understeer!!!![/size]
NOW M3 V8

GSB

Dont think there are any electrical lines under the carpet there, but the fuel tank is only millimetres behind that point, so be careful with the drill.

Look here for a recent discussion on Amp placement...
 m http://www.mr2roc.org/viewtopic.php?t=2585 m

It wouldn't be my first choice to put it behine the seat, but then I am 6'3" tall. Also bear in mind its visible to theiving gits in that location.
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

MRMike

Thanx GSB, don't know why search didn't pick that up.. I really cant afford to lose any luggage space hence the need to put it below the bins..I'll have a good look this weekend before I start drilling
[size=75]*Sold 03 UK spec, silver, Red Interior TTE Twin, Euro spoiler, TTE Chrome roll bar, Blitz Induction, VVTI Badged, Pioneer SAT Nav/DAB Tuner, Boston Acoustics Components, Boston amp, Gtech Pro C, TRD Gearknob, B&M linkage, Bama Deflector, Chrome dials, Corky Breast Plate, TTE springs,

Then.. Blue 350Z
NOW M3 V8

aaronjb

I know it sounds incredibly tacky, but to avoid screws etc - what about some of that incredibly strong velcro stuff? I bet the hooked side would attach itself to the carpet nicely, and saves you drilling near the fuel tank (I know how worrying that is, I did it on a previous car. Missed the fueltank luckily!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  )

Aaron
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

MRMike

That not a bad idea Aaron..and then I can put it completely back to standard...I hate drilling anything..I'll hav eto give that some thought..

Cheers

Then.. Blue 350Z
NOW M3 V8

Anonymous

I had my neo/mStation mounted there with velcro, and never had any problems with it; it took two hands to pull it off when I removed it!

heathstimpson

Quote from: "aaronjb"I know it sounds incredibly tacky, but to avoid screws etc - what about some of that incredibly strong velcro stuff? I bet the hooked side would attach itself to the carpet nicely, and saves you drilling near the fuel tank (I know how worrying that is, I did it on a previous car. Missed the fueltank luckily!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  )

Aaron
I've used that for several different things and its amazingly strong gear.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

aaronjb

Yeah - I used to have my traction control slip selector attached to my dashboard with it (er, other car!) - nearly pulled the face panel off the dash trying to remove it  s:D :D s:D

Added bonus of being able to remove the amp if you're leaving the car in a not-so-great neighbourhood overnight..
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Tem

I had an amp behind the drivers (LHD car) seat. Used velcro to mount it and never had any issues with it, but I'm sure it would've been airborne in serious crash. Just something to think about, even if it's very unlikely to happen...
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

GSB

Quote from: "Mikeharper2"Does anyone know if there is any electrical/fuel/etc lines directly behind the seats?

Had a look at a scrap MR2 last night, and I can confirm that there are indeed cables under the carpet behind the seats. Be careful.
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

MRMike

Cheers GSB you've been really helpfull with this

Then.. Blue 350Z
NOW M3 V8

Anonymous

I've stuck my 6 disc changer behind the passenger seat with velcro.  It ain't going anywhere, the seat goes right back and isn't visible really by Mr Thief.  Have thought about putting an amp there but wondered if it'd melt the back of the seat.

Nice.

J

Anonymous

i fitted my amp behind passenger seat with velcro and had no problems.
also a bike brake cable looped around the seat fixings holds it still in accidents and stops it getting nicked

Tags: