standard air intake question

Started by stargazer30, February 3, 2010, 19:56

stargazer30

Guys,

I fitted a K&N panel today and I can see the restriction in the pipe coming out the back of the stock air box that the mark iii pipe fixes.  Since the mark iii is not easy to get ahold of I am planning to replace this section with superflex duct.  I've used it before for intakes and its good stuff, flexible, durable and heat proof.   Question is where the standard thin plastic pipe meets the large fibre one where does it go from there?  I can't see it behind the side vent and since it goes into the rear wing I can't trace it.

I am thinking should I run the duct directly to the side vent or just run it to the large fibre pipe the mark iii pipe joins too.

Thanks

David
2003 Silver MR2 - Very Very Standard + Leccy Renault Zoe aka the battery mobile.
Ex Blue 04 MR2 - TTE Turbo\'d ~185bhp/200lbs/ft, Sports Clutch, Breast Plate, Lowered & half decent audio
Ex Silver 05 MR2 -  SP turbo conversion 227bhp, 205lbs/ft, with  cobra dual exit exhaust.

markiii

it runs inside the wing and comes out behind the battery
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

stargazer30

Quote from: "markiii"it runs inside the wing and comes out behind the battery

What as in inside the engine bay? or as in the wing and in the cold air flow path.
2003 Silver MR2 - Very Very Standard + Leccy Renault Zoe aka the battery mobile.
Ex Blue 04 MR2 - TTE Turbo\'d ~185bhp/200lbs/ft, Sports Clutch, Breast Plate, Lowered & half decent audio
Ex Silver 05 MR2 -  SP turbo conversion 227bhp, 205lbs/ft, with  cobra dual exit exhaust.

markiii

in the engine bay behind the vent
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

ChrisGB

I used a length of 3" diameter Flexflyte flexible hose and two jubilee clips to join the hose behind the wheel arch to the airbox. Cheap ' cheerful temporary mod in 2006 that is still there now.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

stargazer30

Quote from: "ChrisGB"I used a length of 3" diameter Flexflyte flexible hose and two jubilee clips to join the hose behind the wheel arch to the airbox. Cheap ' cheerful temporary mod in 2006 that is still there now.

Chris

You'd be suprised sometimes the simplest mods are the best.  The stock airbox doesn't look that restrictive compared to some I've seen.  The standard one on the focus ST is nuts, the air funnel is almost totally blocked by the ECU heatsink!  For the MR2 I recon a decent panel filter and something to replace that one thin pipe on the back of the airbox and it'll be as good as a £300 CAIS or not far off.

Anonymous

Quote from: "stargazer30"You'd be suprised sometimes the simplest mods are the best.  The stock airbox doesn't look that restrictive compared to some I've seen.  The standard one on the focus ST is nuts, the air funnel is almost totally blocked by the ECU heatsink!  For the MR2 I recon a decent panel filter and something to replace that one thin pipe on the back of the airbox and it'll be as good as a £300 CAIS or not far off.

No I wouldn't be surprised.   s:D :D s:D    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Tags: