Uniroyal RainSport 2 or Toyo t1-R??

Started by Haslamr2, February 8, 2010, 12:54

Haslamr2

Hi all!

As the subjects suggests really...
Anyone got these tyre fitted? (the Uniroyals not toyo) are they better than Toyo t1-R?

thanks in advance.   s:D :D s:D
[size=75]05 MR2 1.8 VVT-i Roadster Red Spec Edit, TTE Dual exhaust TTE Lowering springs
Ali Larter in the passenger seat...lovin it!!! [/size]

markiii

never used them myself but seem to remember Adam (JapGT300) rated teh highly

it rather depends on how you define better?

better wet grip?
better dry grip?
cheaper?
wear better?
stiffer sidewalls?
more communicative?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Haslamr2

Quote from: "markiii"better wet grip?
better dry grip?
cheaper?
wear better?
stiffer sidewalls?
more communicative?

Yes all of the above! looking on the tyre websites my tyres etc, under the test section the average all round score seems very good. just need some practical real life testimonials from the 'family' now!   s:D :D s:D
[size=75]05 MR2 1.8 VVT-i Roadster Red Spec Edit, TTE Dual exhaust TTE Lowering springs

uktotty

Had T1Rs on mine now for 2 years and 50,000 miles happy as a pig in the proverbial.

cclarke99

I had Uniroyal tyres fitted when I bought the car and I found them useless. The sidewalls were too soft so when the rear wheels stopped drifting they snapped back which sometimes started a slide the other way, virtually impossible to control. They didn't have much wet grip either, although I've no idea how old they were. Possibly pumping them up more might make things a bit more predictable, but in the process of finding out what worked you'd probably destroy the car. The standard Bridgestones are much better.

Haslamr2

Quote from: "cclarke99"I had Uniroyal tyres fitted when I bought the car and I found them useless. The sidewalls were too soft so when the rear wheels stopped drifting they snapped back which sometimes started a slide the other way, virtually impossible to control. They didn't have much wet grip either, although I've no idea how old they were. Possibly pumping them up more might make things a bit more predictable, but in the process of finding out what worked you'd probably destroy the car. The standard Bridgestones are much better.

Were they RainSport 2's do you remember?

cclarke99

Sorry I can't remember exactly what type they were, except they were "Rain tyres" with a little picture of an Umbrella on the side. But unless you've got a very good reason for buying them, I wouldn't. Look on the tyre thread on this forum for lots of info about tyres from people have experience with them on the MR2. The Bridgestones aren't cheap, but the car deserves a good tyre.

Mad Matt

I've got the Rain Sport 1s, but it's difficult to say if they are good or bad as I haven't driven it with anything else! They seem to be lasting well but I'd tend to agree with the snap oversteer comment. Of course the Rain Sport 2s may be much better.

Tags: