Experiences With Speed-Source Engine Mount Bushes.

Started by gavw71, February 17, 2010, 20:29

gavw71

I fitted Speed-Source polyurethane engine mount bushes on Saturday and while I like the way they make the car feel, the vibration, juddering and resonation inside the car is a bit of a pain!
So, before I whip them off and do the 3x3mm holes mod, can anyone chip in with their experiences? I've done a search but can only find info relating to the Kirks mounts, and opinions seem to vary as to how acceptable people find the resulting vibration.
I'm tempted to give the bushes time to settle down, as I've only done around 120 miles since fitting, but on the other hand, I'll probably have the opportunity to whip them off and drill them on Monday.   s:? :? s:?
17" Team Dynamics Pro-Race 1.2\'s, TTE lowering springs, front & rear strut top braces, Markiii inlet pipe, K&N panel filter, CHE header, Magnex dual exit exhaust, Dastek Unichip, re-map by Noble Motorsport.

evileye_wrx

best way to reduce the vibration would be to fit a turbo. Those fitted on turboed cars don't seem to be half as bad   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Phil
Phil

Black 05 Subaru Impreza WRX Prodrive 265bhp
Ex Silverstone 03 Honda S2000GT 240bhp
Ex Silver 03 VX220 Turbo 200bhp
Ex Sable and Carbon 05 MR2 Roadster Turbo 205bhp

DannyN

I'd stick it out to see if the settle over the next 100 or so miles, be a shame to reduce there integrity straight away
Quote from: \"DannyN\"There are 10 types of people in the world,
Those who understand Binary and those that don\'t...

[size=75]Black 51 165 BHP - Hardtop ON - Teins - Apexi Power FC - AEM Induction (Cleaned) - Crower Cams - Forged Pistons - Iridium Plugs - Zero Manifold - SP Downpipe - H&S - TRD SS - Corkys MSMB - Goodridge - \'03 Vents - Devs - Bamas - Crystal Indies - Mongos.
[/size]

gavw71

Quote from: "evileye_xc"best way to reduce the vibration would be to fit a turbo. Those fitted on turboed cars don't seem to be half as bad   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

I like the sound of that!  s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:   Although I don't think the wife would approve - she still can't get her head around the short shifter. It's a little like Thora Hird in her Triumph Herald on Last Of The Summer Wine!

Quote from: "DannyN"I'd stick it out to see if the settle over the next 100 or so miles, be a shame to reduce there integrity straight away

Yeah, I'm leaning that way, may even try to get a bit of a drive in at the weekend, weather depending, to see if I can get them to settle down a bit.

Many thanks,

Gav.
17" Team Dynamics Pro-Race 1.2\'s, TTE lowering springs, front & rear strut top braces, Markiii inlet pipe, K&N panel filter, CHE header, Magnex dual exit exhaust, Dastek Unichip, re-map by Noble Motorsport.

roger

Guess you read the mod on the Kirks by shaving something off the face.

Never experienced the 3 hole mod, but (non-technically) the shaving seems more logical.

It seemed to me the problem was the tight fitting mount transmitting noise from the engine into the bodywork. Shaving it loosens it a bit so it is not hard against the brackets. You still get the stiffness of the mount, but not the resonance.

Against this, my thought is the 3 holes adds flexibilty / softness to the mount, which is going against what we are trying to do anyway.

Certainly, people who have waited before doing anything always seem to report its better in time, so you might consider longer if you can stomach it - I (and the missus) couldn't   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

uktotty

agree with Roger, mine were unbearable untill I shaved them!

edit
LOL dont read that out of context!

DannyN

The Speed-Source Engine Mount Bushes arent the same as the kirks tho

[size=75]Black 51 165 BHP - Hardtop ON - Teins - Apexi Power FC - AEM Induction (Cleaned) - Crower Cams - Forged Pistons - Iridium Plugs - Zero Manifold - SP Downpipe - H&S - TRD SS - Corkys MSMB - Goodridge - \'03 Vents - Devs - Bamas - Crystal Indies - Mongos.
[/size]

custardavenger

Indeed. I've not seen the speed source ones fitted but I'm guessing they are a tight fit side to side which is what causes the vibration. If they are tight fitting on the sides then they will start doing the work of the end mounts which is where I believe the vibration comes from.

I would't bother drilling them, I doubt it will make any difference.
[size=150]Custard\'s Bonnet/Engine Cover Struts[/size] Clicky Round 2
Custard\'s Bracing Clicky Coming soon
Project Custard Clicky

markiii

Quote from: "custardavenger"Indeed. I've not seen the speed source ones fitted but I'm guessing they are a tight fit side to side which is what causes the vibration. If they are tight fitting on the sides then they will start doing the work of the end mounts which is where I believe the vibration comes from.

I would't bother drilling them, I doubt it will make any difference.

they are a complete replacement insert, you cut teh old oneout from teh frame
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

custardavenger

I know what they are Mark. I've just not seen any pictures of them fitted to see if there is clearance between the mount and the bracket.
Project Custard Clicky

gavw71

Roger, I looked through your install guide in the "How To" section last night and I'd also seen the pics Russ posted in the Group Buy thread. Not sure I'm keen on shaving my bushes (oooeerr) because;
1) The width of the bushes prevents any lateral movement - the bushes were a loose enough fit that I was able to push them fully into the mount by hand.
2) There is a metal sleeve that passes through the middle of the bushes, through which the mounting bolts goes. This metal sleeve is the same width as the bush assembly, so in theory, any vibration transfered from the bushes to the mount could also be transfered through the sleeve. I realise a solution to this could be to reduce the length of the sleeve but I then feel that tightening the mounting bolt could pull the sides of the engine mount in until they touched the bushes.

Custard, I noticed that the front bushes did touch the bracket on the engine, to the extent that I could let go of the mount, once offered into position, while I put the bolts in.

As I've already said, I think I'm going to leave the bushes a while to see if they do calm down. At the moment, I get a judder when pulling away gently in 1st and vibration that manifests itself in my back, buttocks and the rear view mirror, when the engine is asked to pull away without changing down gear. (I picked my 14 year old son up today and he smirked everytime it happened.)

As a footnote, I've also read that the bushes are effected by temperature, which would make sense, so bring on the sunshine!

DannyN

Is this them

[/size]

gavw71

They certainly look like them.

custardavenger

I was the one that did Rogers and Russ's mounts with them.

Like I said I wouldn't try and shave them as they are designed to be a close fit, Shaving them would probably make them fall apart. I think they are as they are.
Project Custard Clicky

Anonymous

Hello,
It seemed to me the problem was the tight fitting mount transmitting noise from the engine into the bodywork. Shaving it loosens it a bit so it is not hard against the brackets. You still get the stiffness of the mount, but not the resonance.

Lippy

Anyone have any idea which mounts out of the kirks and the speed source ones are the softest for a daily driver?
Also if anyone has links on best place to buy these that would be appreciated  s:) :) s:)
Ex SP240 Owner, looking for another boosted '2

dj2k21

I have speed source and have to say its got better over time the only time I find it unbearable is if your sat in traffic and just use the clutch and no throttle so effectively pull off using just the clutch, it rattles like hell! But with some revs it's fine
[size=85]Veilside Fortune Kit| Veilside Andrew Racing Wheels| Veilside Pro-Drag Exhaust | MWR Stage 4 Race Built Engine | FRD Custom Turbo Conversion | Veilside Turbo Manifold | Link G4 ECU | Flocked & Leather Trimmed Interior | Cobra Misano Seats | Cobra 4 Point Harnesses | Face Lift Front & Rear Lights | Corky\'s Breast Plate | C-one Rear Strut Brace | C-one Engine Damper | Speed Source Engine Mount Inserts | Tein Super Street Coilovers & EDFC | Defi Oil Pressure & Boost Gauges & Daisy Chain Control Unit | BMC Air Intake | D2 8 Pot Big Brake Conversion | Plus Much Much More![/size]

Lippy

best place to buy kirks engine mounts from then as no-one seems to like the speed source ones...

nathanMR2

I've had the speed source ones in for some time now. They do take time to bed in and still vibrate the car a tad on low revs, especially in the cold but I know they are doing there job  s;) ;) s;)
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

dj2k21

Quote from: "nathanMR2"I've had the speed source ones in for some time now. They do take time to bed in and still vibrate the car a tad on low revs, especially in the cold but I know they are doing there job  s;) ;) s;)

+1 im used to mine now
[size=85]Veilside Fortune Kit| Veilside Andrew Racing Wheels| Veilside Pro-Drag Exhaust | MWR Stage 4 Race Built Engine | FRD Custom Turbo Conversion | Veilside Turbo Manifold | Link G4 ECU | Flocked & Leather Trimmed Interior | Cobra Misano Seats | Cobra 4 Point Harnesses | Face Lift Front & Rear Lights | Corky\'s Breast Plate | C-one Rear Strut Brace | C-one Engine Damper | Speed Source Engine Mount Inserts | Tein Super Street Coilovers & EDFC | Defi Oil Pressure & Boost Gauges & Daisy Chain Control Unit | BMC Air Intake | D2 8 Pot Big Brake Conversion | Plus Much Much More![/size]

Lippy

where do I buy a set of kirks mounts? ive searched google and looked on this thread and I cant see a link :/
help please

mattbrown82

Quote from: "Lippy"where do I buy a set of kirks mounts? ive searched google and looked on this thread and I cant see a link :/
help please

I'm getting some poly mounts in a couple of weeks and was either going to get these or the Speed Source ones.

The only place I can find for the kirks mounts is:

http://home.comcast.net/~kirkosaurus2/MR2_urethane_inserts.html
[size=85]00 silver
01 Blue 2zz - sold
03 Sable - sold[/size]

Lippy

Cheers for the link Matt, so $75 delivered to the UK... for 2 mounts its not that different in price for the 4 speed source ones (or at least I think there were 4)

Anonymous

Kirks are basically the speed source one, ie 4 bits 2 for one mount and 2 for the other mount. Look up ellise parts as they do them as well.

mattbrown82

Quote from: "rbuckingham"Kirks are basically the speed source one, ie 4 bits 2 for one mount and 2 for the other mount. Look up ellise parts as they do them as well.

Would the eliseparts ones fit an MR2?  If so they're a good price.
[size=85]00 silver
01 Blue 2zz - sold
03 Sable - sold[/size]

Tags: