Help needed - New Cobra Exhaust problem

Started by stargazer30, March 17, 2010, 09:48

stargazer30

Hi Guys,

The guys at exhausts UK made up and fitted my dual exit exhaust yesterday.  Good service and the exhaust looks brill.  However its booming way too much.  The journey home on the motorway was painful, the drone is loud enough to completely drown out my aftermarket car audio!  Been driving it round the doors and the prob seems to be around 2800 to 3500 rpm range its gets really loud, peaks about 3000rpm with anything but light throttle.  Higher up the RPM range its fine.

So questions to the guys with this these systems fitted..

Do you have the same experience?
Does the exhaust quiet down as it cokes up?
and has anyone got a spare set of ear defenders they wanna sell   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  (Thats how loud we are talking here)

My rest of the exhaust system is standard, no aftermarket headers, pre cats in, main cat in only the cat back section has been changed.  However the guys at exhaust UK did have to take the cat off to fit the system so I am thinking maybe it could also be the O ring gaskets between the header and the cat as these are not re-usable?

David
2003 Silver MR2 - Very Very Standard + Leccy Renault Zoe aka the battery mobile.
Ex Blue 04 MR2 - TTE Turbo\'d ~185bhp/200lbs/ft, Sports Clutch, Breast Plate, Lowered & half decent audio
Ex Silver 05 MR2 -  SP turbo conversion 227bhp, 205lbs/ft, with  cobra dual exit exhaust.

nathanMR2

I would go so far to say thats a problem.

No mines exactly the same mate. More so with the CHE manifold and even more so with the PPE induction kit – its made things even louder.

I found before I fitted the PPE that for Motorway driving if you could keep it around the 4000rpm mark it wasn't too bad at all.

Driving with the windows open a little will help the sound pressure escape. Failing that fit a sub in the car and it almost drowns it out.

On the upside you will be getting better gains from this exhaust and i think thats been proven by my dyno results.
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

stargazer30

Cheers Nathan,

I have a sub already that gets drown out too   s:( :( s:(  

How many miles have you done since you got yours fitted?  I just spoke to them and they recon the drone will reduce by as much as 7db once the wool in the silencer cokes up, but this takes 1000 to 1500 miles.

David
2003 Silver MR2 - Very Very Standard + Leccy Renault Zoe aka the battery mobile.
Ex Blue 04 MR2 - TTE Turbo\'d ~185bhp/200lbs/ft, Sports Clutch, Breast Plate, Lowered & half decent audio
Ex Silver 05 MR2 -  SP turbo conversion 227bhp, 205lbs/ft, with  cobra dual exit exhaust.

nathanMR2

Do you know I couldn't tell you. I would say im close to 1000miles by now but if anything mine has got louder with the additional mods so its had to say exactly.

JudoKilli

If you took it back to the guys @ Exhausts UK couldn't they do something to the exhaust to reduce the noise levels?

stargazer30

Quote from: "JudoKilli"If you took it back to the guys @ Exhausts UK couldn't they do something to the exhaust to reduce the noise levels?

Yeah the can fit a bigger silencer, the normal one is pretty small vs the stock system but that also means its alot lighter.  I've said I'll let this one run in first see if the drone drops with the miles.  If not I'll have another 200 mile round trip back there to get it sorted out.

E

Yes the sound does settle down a bit after a couple of hundered miles or so but then mine was never so loud as to be painful. however I have since gone completely catless and to be honest it is now a bit louder than I would have wanted for daily driving but stilll a lovely noise IMO of course.

nathanMR2

I must admit straight line driving (motorways/long A roads) can be a little harsh on the head sometimes.

Having said that I overtook my dad the other day and he said how nice it sounded coming passed him. He said it sounded like a lot bigger car (V6 or something) that put a big   s:D :D s:D   on my face and I know most the time I love the sound.

E

Here's a thought can you make it to the Spring Ding day  l viewtopic.php?f=13&t=28473 l  I will be there and probably a few other cobra systems for a compare, there may even be a decibel meter there, I think there was one last year.

nathanMR2

Also bear in mind the Toyota standard exhaust is like a wet fart compared to this. It will take some getting used to.

E, id be interested what sort of sound comes from these compared to some of the other exhaust available

Anonymous

As one of the first to have one fitted in 2006, I must admit compared to my stock system the noise on the journey home was indeed "Boomy" but it really does settle down to a pleasant burble   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Quote from: "nathanMR2"Also bear in mind the Toyota standard exhaust is like a wet fart compared to this. It will take some getting used to.

E, id be interested what sort of sound comes from these compared to some of the other exhaust available

s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    CLICKY

bones`

One of the things I really like about these is the fact that they fit so close to the bumper compared to the OEM which seems to hang way too low. Just wondering, mainly aimed at the guys who have had this fitted for a while, are there any problems with the exhaust melting any parts of the bumper?
2004 in Red. TTE Springs. De-catted. Satin Black rims.

E

Mine has melted the bumper just above each of the pipes but this is because the whole of my exhaust system is heat wrapped to keep engine bay temps down, this has the effect of retaining nearly all the heat untill the exhaust tips. It is only slight and you wouldnt notice it unless you got down to look, also I now have a piece of aluminum tape on the bumper over each pipe again not visible unless you are looking for it.

Anonymous

In four years and having got rid of all my heat shields, fitting a che header and sports cat the rear panel above the tips is still as good as the day it was bought   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

nathanMR2

My tips have never caused any problem with my bumper

stargazer30

Well its going back to exhausts UK next week to get a bigger silencer fitted.  I am actually getting used to it as it is, even though it is too loud for my tastes, but the boss (aka my better half) won't drive the MR2 now lol!  I'll report back once its done let you know how much quieter it gets.

stargazer30

Just to update on this.  I haven't been able to get the car back to Exhausts UK, but it has quietened down a bit, it still drones but ear defenders are no longer needed.  Anyway I'm going turbo soon so after talking this with Matt I'm going to wait and see what its like after the turbo goes on as it will change the exhaust note.

evileye_wrx

It will quiten down once it's turbo'ed. There are those, who shall remain nameless, who have used ear plugs because of the loudness of their exhausts. When I had a Che system fitted that was pretty loud but the turbo helped a lot.

Phil
Phil

Black 05 Subaru Impreza WRX Prodrive 265bhp
Ex Silverstone 03 Honda S2000GT 240bhp
Ex Silver 03 VX220 Turbo 200bhp
Ex Sable and Carbon 05 MR2 Roadster Turbo 205bhp

Tags: