Life of a stock damper?

Started by uktotty, March 17, 2010, 12:36

uktotty

Rob and I were discussing at the weekend about a bad feeling in the suspension, we both have over 100k on the clock and I know MuffDan was replacing the stock dampers due to mileage on his. I know this cos they were in my garage for a while.
So how long are these things supposed to last?
Does adding the TTEs put more stress on them etc?
Is there an aftermarket system or genuine toyota system better?

Wabbitkilla

I reckon you've done well to get 100K out of any dampers, and they're well past their best.
I'd say lowering springs do speed up their exhaustion too.

As for what to replace them with - crumbs that's an open door.
I like what i've got but they're not necesarily everyones' cup of tea.

I know that i drove one MR2 where the member had put the spax inserts into the original bodies and the ride was very nice, secure AND comfortable.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

nathanMR2

How can you tell when they have gone?

I asked the guy to have a look over mine when i had my springs done and he said that looked fine. Ive found my rear nearside makes a noise when i hit bumps. Not sure if its from that or something else
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

mrzwei

The traditional test is the 'bounce' test ie you push the car firmly down on each corner and it should spring back immediately plus on the two there should be a lot of resistance to the push. If it pushes down easily, or bounces back more than once then replacement is required. This test is difficult  with a firmly set up sports car but worth a try. Also, look for signs of fluid seepage.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

custardavenger

I think you may have that the wrong way round. Most dampers damp on extension than on compression.

To really check out a damper it needs to be removed.

I've never had anything to do with inserts so can't comment on them
[size=150]Custard\'s Bonnet/Engine Cover Struts[/size] Clicky Round 2
Custard\'s Bracing Clicky Coming soon
Project Custard Clicky

mrzwei

That's why it should only bounce back once and a bit. The problem with sports type cars is the  the stiffness of the suspention to start with.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

jonfy

Quote from: "uktotty"Rob and I were discussing at the weekend about a bad feeling in the suspension, we both have over 100k on the clock and I know MuffDan was replacing the stock dampers due to mileage on his. I know this cos they were in my garage for a while.
So how long are these things supposed to last?
Does adding the TTEs put more stress on them etc?
Is there an aftermarket system or genuine toyota system better?

I went for KYB super sports, they give a decent ride russ. Sort of halfway house between OEM and a more focused setup like the coilovers.I have driven a two with coilovers on and they give a great really sort of pointy ride if you know what i mean. Horse for courses as they say, depends on your budget and what you want out of the car.
2003 Silver Hardtop with  Black Leather & Toyota body kit.
Added \":D\"e Cat, Toyo\'s-TTE lowering springs, KYB super sports shocks,TTE banana spoiler, Kenwood audio, uprated shifter bushings and heated mirrors.

Two's Company

The ride of Spit's and DannyN's on Tein's is fantastic.  Not tried BC's but meant to be similar for less money.

ChrisGB

I have rarely seen oem dampers work well at that sort of mileage, but some do, so you cannot assume they are shot.

I have had the opportunity to compare the ride on Teins to that on the BCs and the BC are noticeably stiffer. Tiens are more user friendly for the road IMO, but I like this stiffer setup. It is still streetable on the BCs though.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

Tags: