How does the MR2 compare?

Started by Anonymous, March 27, 2010, 16:49

Anonymous

For those of you that have owned other sports cars I would love to hear your feedback on how the MR2 compares in such areas as handling and performance.

Look forward to the replies

Cheers
Kevin

Anonymous

Define performance?

Anonymous

I suppose performance as in perceived or actual (as in lap times), however you wish.

I know some cars feel alot faster than they are, which is perception, but others on track can give hard facts.

Anonymous

Cool, in that case...

MR2 vs S2000
Handling: MR2
Performance: S2K
Both driven on road and track

MR2 vs 987 Boxster S
Handling: Boxster
Performance: Boxster
Road only

MR2 vs VXR220
Handling: VXR
Performance: VXR
Road and track

MR2 vx Elise S2 111S + 111R
Handling: Elise
Performance: Elise
111S track only, 111R road only

MR2 vs MX-5 mk3 Sport
Performance: MR2
Road only

MR2 vs Clio 182
Performance: Clio
Road only

MR2 vs 350Z
Handling: 350Z
Performance: 350Z
Road and track

There's other stuff as well like a 997 C2S and an E46 M3, but the price comparison simply isn't fair so I won't even bother as it's obvious which wins there. The closest competitor I've found so far in terms of money, feel and sheer fun is the Clio 182. Wrong wheel drive perhaps, but I'd say they're on a par in terms of fun and practicality. S2K is hugely fun round track and very easy to balance on the limit, but I still gave the MR2 that one as it feels slightly more tight. Apart from the Clio and the mk3 MX-5 (which is awful IMHO), the MR2 is beaten by everything else. Of course, they also cost a lot more in every case, and there's other ways of measuring ownership, but that's how I see it anyway.

OlberJ

Add 2zz in to the mix and a lot of those performances will swing the other way i would imagine?
Black 1MZ V6 - TTE Springs - 17" wheels - F355 exhaust - LSD and ST182 FD - aka Black Bob Jnr

http://www.olbermotive.com

Anonymous

Dan thats great, good ideas of comparisons there, afew surprises too including the 350Z, I would have thought the MR2 would have handled better down to it weighing alot less.

Thanks again
Kevin

stargazer30

To balance this out a bit you could add MPG and service/maint/insurance costs into the mix and the MR2 would beat the lot of them!  Well maybe the MX5 might be on par?
2003 Silver MR2 - Very Very Standard + Leccy Renault Zoe aka the battery mobile.
Ex Blue 04 MR2 - TTE Turbo\'d ~185bhp/200lbs/ft, Sports Clutch, Breast Plate, Lowered & half decent audio
Ex Silver 05 MR2 -  SP turbo conversion 227bhp, 205lbs/ft, with  cobra dual exit exhaust.

Anonymous

Like I said, there's more to ownership than just how it handles and how quick it goes. If we're judging on other things though, then I guess you'd have to go for the Clio. Yup, they really are that good as a fun package as well as being a millionty times more practical than the '2.

stargazer30

Quote from: "Dan M"Like I said, there's more to ownership than just how it handles and how quick it goes. If we're judging on other things though, then I guess you'd have to go for the Clio. Yup, they really are that good as a fun package as well as being a millionty times more practical than the '2.

You must be joking they are made of paper.  I had a Clio for 2 years it was the worst car I've ever owned in my life for reliability and I bought it from new   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  It wasn't a sport though.
2003 Silver MR2 - Very Very Standard + Leccy Renault Zoe aka the battery mobile.
Ex Blue 04 MR2 - TTE Turbo\'d ~185bhp/200lbs/ft, Sports Clutch, Breast Plate, Lowered & half decent audio
Ex Silver 05 MR2 -  SP turbo conversion 227bhp, 205lbs/ft, with  cobra dual exit exhaust.

cclarke99

In my experience the Boxster is just like the MR2 only better and the BMW Z4 not as good - a bit dull to be honest. MX-5 (mk 2) is nice but the engine is a bit weedy. The Clio 182 is not the same thing, great to drive, but suffers all the problems of a very large engine FWD car plus iffy Renault quality.

Anonymous

Quote from: "stargazer30"I had a Clio for 2 years... It wasn't a sport though.
Well there you go then. An RS Clio is a billion miles from a 1.2 shopping trolley.

kentsmudger

Quote from: "cclarke99"In my experience the Boxster is just like the MR2 only better ...
On the other hand, at least one member here (Liz) went from an MR2 to a Boxster and then came back to an MR2, albeit a turboed 2.
[size=85] Unichip, full Hayward & Scott exhaust, race cat and manifold - markiii pipe, K & N panel, EBC Ultimax Slotted Discs, EBC pads, TTE springs, Corky\'s Breastplate, front & rear strut braces, brass shift bushes, Hankook Ventus V12 Evos, CG-Lock. Bama deflector, Mongos, Devs key cover, TTE gear-knob. My car and my pics of other cars.

[centre] 'I am, and ever will be a white socks, pocket protector, nerdy engineer' - Neil Armstrong (1930 – 2012) [/size][/centre]

Anonymous

OK,i dont know why people try to compare the mr2 with every-thing else.i have had two twin-turbo supras in the past and they  are great for staight line performance but not alot else,the mr2 to me for the money is the best little sports car on the road,good looks,ex-handleing,fair perfomance,and ten times better with the roof down.cheers.  s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:

Anonymous

I drove the 350Z in Corfu last year and thought it a wallowing beast compared to the MR2

cclarke99

Quote from: "ekyforbirds"... for the money is the best little sports car on the road,....

Couldn't agree more, Boxster is a lovely car but running costs would be double the MR2 and a could think of better things to spend my 12K on.

Anonymous

les,you are right ,these super-cars are realy to heavy that is where the MR2 shines,going round pot holes,road works,islands,this little car does it with flying colours,any-way i think as we are empty-nesters we should now a little bit about cars!!!!

muffdan

I agree with you Les on the 350Z handling. In terms of lap times, the MR2's handling is way better and by that I mean it will go around a bend faster. MR2's were leaving me behind over the alpine passes on the twisty sections. An MR2 will change direction much quicker than a 350Z. The 350Z has better handling in terms of control over the rear end though. As the weight is in the front, I was hanging the rear end out at will, all the time. I was able to do it very comfortably and confidently which was great fun. Depends on your definition of handling I suppose.
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

Anonymous

Quote from: "muffdan"In terms of lap times, the MR2's handling is way better and by that I mean it will go around a bend faster.
No chance. Stock for stock, or modified for modified, I can get a 350Z to corner quicker than a '2.

markiii

have to agree with Dan

stock for stock teh extra weight and mechanical grip of teh Z allows it to corner faster as a stock MR2 will be suffering way to much body roll and the rear end will start to slide

a modified 2 will likely beat a stock Z, but you'd be surprised how well a modded Z will corner, the bracing tweeks on Dans alone are seriously impressive, I hate to think what upgraded shocks would acheive
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Sssshhhhh that's on me list for next year

muffdan

Quote from: "Dan M"
Quote from: "muffdan"In terms of lap times, the MR2's handling is way better and by that I mean it will go around a bend faster.
No chance. Stock for stock, or modified for modified, I can get a 350Z to corner quicker than a '2.

Fair enough I don't doubt your ability to do that.

Stock for stock, modified for modified, I can get an MR2 to corner quicker than a 350Z.   s:D :D s:D  

I guess this proves it's just a matter of opinion. More seriously, driving styles comes in to it. Different drivers are going to set proportionally different lap times in different types of car, and the MR2 and 350z are very different. It's the driver/car combination that matters and it's going to be different for everybody. That's why I love The Race of Champions. It equals the field and the true greats show themselves.
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

Anonymous

Quote from: "muffdan"Stock for stock, modified for modified, I can get an MR2 to corner quicker than a 350Z.   s:D :D s:D  
Really? Didn't seem like that when I came past you at Anglesey  s;) ;) s;)    s:mrgreen: :mrgreen: s:mrgreen:

stargazer30

How does extra weight aid cornering exactly?  I mean my physics isn't that brilliant but can't see the logic in that.

markiii

grip is  a function of weight and rubber (and a lot of other stuff)

comparing a stock z to a stock roadster this equates to more grip

its not quite that simple, as you get into weight distribution, understeer e.t.c e.t.c

however in my experience with this particular setup

and comparing Dans stock Z to many stock mr2s I've driven

the z wins
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

OlberJ

Aha, but are we talking grip and speed cornering or agility and handling cornering?

Take a Lotus Elan for example, not very quick but the handling is immense fun. Mr2 is similar (but not the same) as this.
Black 1MZ V6 - TTE Springs - 17" wheels - F355 exhaust - LSD and ST182 FD - aka Black Bob Jnr

http://www.olbermotive.com

Tags: