where does MAF go??! - Stock airbox VS induction

Started by crazy6, April 27, 2010, 18:09

crazy6

I'm trying to get my head around the MAF and what to do if I want to ditch the stock airbox. If I get a pre packaged "kit" ( AEM ) does it have the hole and screw points for the MAF?! Does this mean buying a  and some silicone tubing would not be possible because I would have to manually relocate the MAF?

At this stage it looks like the easiest/cheapest solution without spending £200 on an AEM is to replace the restrictive tubing between the side vent and stock box, cut out internal plastic wall IN the box and replace the panel filter with a K&N.

I looked online to see if you can buy a length of 3" pipe with MAF holes pre-cut for an MR2 but no luck.

Any thoughts welcome as I'm just starting out o some DIY mods.

uktotty

AEM Comes with a hole for the MAF
No mods needed

andywood

I would suggest not messing around with the internal design of the OEM airbox, the MAFS are fairly standard fit items, but there is an element of 'tweaking' that goes into the airbox designs for various reasons (e.g NVH) as well as flow patterns to suit the correct function of the MAFS.
Not saying that it would cause a problem if you did mess with the internal of the airbox, but why bother as is unlikely to offer any flow advantage.
The dirty-side inlet duct is another subject though and there are clearly flow gains to be had with removing the restriction, although end results on engine performance remain relatively unproven.

Andy.
2003 Silver + Stuff = [strike]235bhp/225lbft[/strike],  + rethink = 195bhp

uktotty

Andy, you cant fit the AEM and keep the airbox

custardavenger

There are lots of options for induction kits. All good kits will come with the maf mount and should require the simplest fitting using stock fixing locations. Were I to be buying one I would probably go for something like this
 m http://www.monkeywrenchracing.com/produ ... ts_id=1032 m
But I would add/change the air filter for a shrouded one and pipe that to the side vent.
Sort of like this but quality
 m http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur ... s%3Disch:1 m
[size=150]Custard\'s Bonnet/Engine Cover Struts[/size] Clicky Round 2
Custard\'s Bracing Clicky Coming soon
Project Custard Clicky

andywood

Quote from: "uktotty"Andy, you cant fit the AEM and keep the airbox

I was talking about the proposal to modify the OEM airbox, not the AEM one.

Andy.
2003 Silver + Stuff = [strike]235bhp/225lbft[/strike],  + rethink = 195bhp

cclarke99

I'd be very careful messing with any part of the induction system unless you've got the facilites to develop it properly. The intake pipe and airbox form a resonant system (Helmholtz resonator) which is designed to maximise airflow over a specific engine speed range in conjunction with other items (e.g. exhaust, cam profile and timing, etc). I had a VW Golf which had a particularly naff looking airbox that I thought must be capable of improvement. However after analysing the design using some data I found on the web (unfortunately I've lost the link) I found that the existing design was optimised for exactly the maximum torque point of the engine. Theres an equation for working it out  at the end of the first section of  m http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Airboxes.html m .

The other point is that any system which does not draw air from outside the engine comartment will loose power. A 2 deg increase in intake temperature will reduce the power of an MR2 by about 1bhp.

Tem

Quote from: "cclarke99"The other point is that any system which does not draw air from outside the engine comartment will loose power. A 2 deg increase in intake temperature will reduce the power of an MR2 by about 1bhp.

The stock piping draws air from the engine compartment.  s;) ;) s;)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Mad Matt

Not really. It runs under the wheel arch and brings air in from the front vent, cold air.

Anonymous

Quote from: "cclarke99"I'd be very careful messing with any part of the induction system unless you've got the facilites to develop it properly. The intake pipe and airbox form a resonant system (Helmholtz resonator) which is designed to maximise airflow over a specific engine speed range in conjunction with other items (e.g. exhaust, cam profile and timing, etc). I had a VW Golf which had a particularly naff looking airbox that I thought must be capable of improvement. However after analysing the design using some data I found on the web (unfortunately I've lost the link) I found that the existing design was optimised for exactly the maximum torque point of the engine. Theres an equation for working it out  at the end of the first section of  m http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Airboxes.html m .

The other point is that any system which does not draw air from outside the engine comartment will loose power. A 2 deg increase in intake temperature will reduce the power of an MR2 by about 1bhp.
The stock '06 airbox on the Zed is similar to your old Golf as gives the best power for the car, and yet I'm happy to swap 5bhp for the noise an open cone filter gives me. Worth it in smiles alone every single time.  s8) 8) s8)

cclarke99

Certainly if you like the sound, then go for it. I had a Mini with 1mm thick aluminium between the open ram pipes and the car interior - epic as it came on cam - but hard work on a long drive. Is there a market for a simulated induction noise generator connected to the engine management and the speakers? Someone was developing something simialr for the Tesla electric car.

Tem

Quote from: "Mad Matt"Not really. It runs under the wheel arch and brings air in from the front vent, cold air.

No it doesn't. If you follow the piping into the wheel arch, it turns back into the engine bay behind the battery. It doesn't go to the vent.

This subject comes up every now and then. I took these pics one of those times:
 m http://mr-s.org/tem/StockIntake/ m

Anonymous

Nice hand, great photo!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Mad Matt

Quote from: "Tem"
Quote from: "Mad Matt"Not really. It runs under the wheel arch and brings air in from the front vent, cold air.

No it doesn't. If you follow the piping into the wheel arch, it turns back into the engine bay behind the battery. It doesn't go to the vent.

This subject comes up every now and then. I took these pics one of those times:
 m http://mr-s.org/tem/StockIntake/ m

Yes, but the air from the vent goes pretty much directly there. I had thought you meant it was taking hot air from the engine bay, so sorry about that.

I checked with my OBD reader and I think the air temperature is pretty much as good as you're going to get.

Tem

Quote from: "Mad Matt"Yes, but the air from the vent goes pretty much directly there. I had thought you meant it was taking hot air from the engine bay, so sorry about that.

The stock intake is taking just as hot (or cold) air as the MWR CAI kit custard linked above. I was only commenting on the part I quoted from cclarke99, who suggested that it would lose power over stock intake, which draws air from outside the engine bay. It just doesn't do that, cause it draws air from exactly same location as the stock system.  s8) 8) s8)

Mad Matt

Fair enough, I'm afraid I need to learn to read more slowly before commenting  :-) :-) :-)

cclarke99

Sorry - more misunderstanding, my comment on air temperature was directed more at DIY airbox mods than the very nicely engineered system shown. That said, I'm not sure it should be called a "cold air" intake as the air comes from more or less the same place as standard. I'd also be wary of fitting it to an otherwise standard car as the lack of airbox and short length might upset things

Tags: