Ultimate Floorpan brace- Done

Started by Paulm, May 8, 2010, 19:18

Paulm

* Mods please move if this is in the wrong section *

Now that Ive got the breast plate sorted, I've started on the full body brace, its going to be a step forward over whats previsouly been made for a few reasons.

1) I'll be using 6082-T6 aluminium rather than steel or 6061 ali. 6082 is the strongest ali of all the 6000 series aluminums ,while stil being easy to machine and obviously much lighter than steel and more resistant to rusting etc.
2) Instead of using 40mm tube with a 1.5mm wall thickness, I'll be using 50mm x 25mm box section with a 3mm wall thickness. A stronger section that'll be more robust for knocks and dings that'll happen to it durings it life.
3) Price - It should work out much cheaper than the next best thing. Especially where theres shipping, vat and duty to put on  top of the inital cost, especially with the exchange rate as it is at the moment.

PS heres a pic of the breast plate, I've had a delivery of the ali, so I'll be measuring up tomorrow, with perhaps a few welds done here and there.

Performance:  4.2ltr V8 380hp conversion - DTA S80 ECU- DTA S80 EMS - Ferrari F360 exhaust - de-Cat\'d
Handling : Brace bars front & rear - EBC Drilled and Grooved - 205/225/40/17 - ETA Beta Alnir\'s- 2\'s rUS drop links - Ultimate breastplate
Future uprades - Supercharger- Ultimate floorpan brace and front brace - 355mm discs - Widebody kit

Anonymous

interested in a price for a breastplate  s:D :D s:D  

craig

StuM

Quote from: "cdm1"interested in a price for a breastplate  s:D :D s:D  

craig

Craig - Paul has a thread for the BPs here

Cheers,
Stu
Stu M

Ex 2001 Lagoon Blue Mr2 Roadster
Now - 1985 VW T25 Panel Van \":-)\"

Two's Company

Quite a few members have Corky breastplates which sometimes suffers the brunt of bigger speed bumps so worth making sure the strengthening tubes aren't too low.

Paulm

Good point, I'll keep it in mind, ISTR the corkys BP is either 28 or 31mm thick. I'm aiming at 25mm, so it'll be slimmer but not by much   s:? :? s:?
Performance:  4.2ltr V8 380hp conversion - DTA S80 ECU- DTA S80 EMS - Ferrari F360 exhaust - de-Cat\'d
Handling : Brace bars front & rear - EBC Drilled and Grooved - 205/225/40/17 - ETA Beta Alnir\'s- 2\'s rUS drop links - Ultimate breastplate
Future uprades - Supercharger- Ultimate floorpan brace and front brace - 355mm discs - Widebody kit

Two's Company

It doesn't happen much - on mine it was only when it was lowered by 30mm with a passenger on one set of speed bumps.  Just be mindful of it not being too low (but don't compromise the plate).   s:D :D s:D

Edit - see scraping here  l viewtopic.php?f=47&t=17955 l

Paulm

Yeah, It certainly lokks like inch tube on top of the 6mm plate, I should be no more than 25mm, as I'm taking the time to recess the 'tube' into the plate, saving those extra few mm.

Paulm

Completed my test pieces tonight, its looking quite nice and strong...love the shinyness of an aluminiuim weld    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Kool PT

do you have a rough, rough idea of the price you'll be looking for when these are finished?

also are these compatable with all front and rear lower braces or do they replace them?
PT\'s Cruiser: Black 2000 MR2 Roadster V6

3.0L 1MZ-FE V6, Ferrari 355 exhaust, Cusco FSTB, Tein S.Tech springs.

Paulm

Its looking about £275 to £300, which also include new bolts of the correct length obviously quite a bit cheaper then the £600 that corkies is, but its still a chunk of change.

Cant see  any reason why it wont work with other front and rear braces as there a common design, but to be honest if they didnt i'd be happy to adapt it to fit, plus I'll be doing my own front brace next anyway.

Paulm

Managed to get a couple of hours in the garage this afternoon, for a bit of welding..

Wont get much else done this week, as its manic for me at work for until next tuesday, but will hopefully get an hour or two.

grsymons

Looking good so far.   s8) 8) s8)

Anonymous

what's the latest on these?

Paulm

Should have it finished today !

Kool PT

please note my interest.

Paulm

Noted   s:D :D s:D  
Not quite finished, just got the stretchers from the front mouting point back to the breatplate to weld on. Then some end caps and it'll be done.

So far its bloody stiff, mouting it on, it would rather lift the car, then flex the brace, but i guess thats what its there for !

loadswine

Nice job there Paul.   s8) 8) s8)
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Paulm

Worked out a price fro these now, one off would be £280 including new bolts all round, a 5 off price would be £250 pounds. If anyone would like me to set up a group buy, let me know. Thats for 6082 aluminium, which is the strongest of the 6000 series. Weight is approx 6kg. For reference a corkies in 6061 ali, currently comes in at £559 before shipping but including vat and duty.

Paul   s:D :D s:D

uktotty

how do you propose to fit it? If you lift a wheel the chassis will flex.
Do you have a pit or do you use ramps etc?

Kool PT

inTerested in a gb...

grsymons

count me in for one paul

Paulm

Quote from: "uktotty"how do you propose to fit it? If you lift a wheel the chassis will flex.
Do you have a pit or do you use ramps etc?

I just use a pair of axle staands set to the same height and check the level of ths sills

Paulm

Paulm

Got the floorpan brace finished and fitted today

grsymons

nice one, once you are ready to go in to production pm me your paypal addy and how much you want up front   s:P :P s:P

Tags: