Carbon look vinyl

Started by Andy_Foz, July 29, 2010, 13:58

Andy_Foz

Now im sure there will be a few flamers here, but i really dont like the duplo style plastic parts on the dash. It just dumbs down the interior for me for what otherwise would be a real, purposeful sports car interior.

Couldnt decide whether to paint it bodycolour or try some carbon look vinyl like the newish BMWs have. i found some on fleabay for about a tenner, so took a gamble and had a go one on small section to see what i thought. Worst case scenario, i could get a new pocket and revert it to standard without any bother.

So here it was before...

i then masked it up ready to sand off the dimples

And after sanding...

Not perfect, but im sure with a little practice, i could get it looking okay. What do you all think?

skinz

Looking good, fully understand what you mean about the dots, they don't really give the appearance of a "modern" sports car.

Yet again I don't really approve of the covering up to make something appear much better than it actually is, i.e. when people use c/f look vinyl on a bonnet.

That saying, it does look much better :p - can imagine it will be a long process to work your way round the whole dash, but at least youll be an expert by the time you finish it. Good Luck   s:) :) s:)

Wabbitkilla

Looks like a neat job.

Always concerns me though when people talk about covering up airbags
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

skinz

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"Looks like a neat job.

On that topic, Ive got a 2002 Import, and don't have an passenger airbag (above glove box, as in pic) - just go another storage area. Is this normal for this age? lol as long as Ive got airbag s'posse its ok, considering I only "play" when in car by myself

aaronjb

Passenger airbag was an option on the Japanese models (or the glovebox that replaces it was, I forget which was the 'default' spec)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Andy_Foz

I cant see it being a problem to be honest. I will cover the whole section in one piece then cut the existing line around the airbag section so it will still hinge up as per standard if it needs to be deployed. Am I missing something, guys?

Thanks everyone though.

Andy

nathanMR2

How big a sheet does this stuff come in?
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

Chris_h

Quote from: "Andy_Foz"

I cant see it being a problem to be honest. I will cover the whole section in one piece then cut the existing line around the airbag section so it will still hinge up as per standard if it needs to be deployed. Am I missing something, guys?

Thanks everyone though.

Andy

Just check the airbag hinges and doesnt burst through the plastic like most do (they have fine tear lines designed to be weak - as per the drivers bag - wheel centre doesnt flap open)

best way is to see pics of some accident damages ones - or am sure someone here will know.
ex 02 Black, 00 Silver, 53 Black, 03 in silver - then s2000, civic type r, mini jcw, civic type r, Alfa Brera, z4 si coupe, now m135i. Still miss the 2 and will have another one someday....

ad_car_08

I'm 100% with you - I detest the lego/duplo bobbles on the dash & often wonder what I can do about it.

That bit of 'CF' on the pocket looks good, but IMO might look abit much if you start covering your dash in it, and then is it going to be a bit obvious that you've just put a big sticker over it all?

But like I said, you've done a mighty fine job of the pocket!
[size=85]2004 Sable MR2 Roadster - Track toy
Honda Civic EX 1.0T - Company Car
[/size]

shuttsies

does it reflect in the windscreen??
Currently have: ASBO ORANGE FOCUS ST-3 bring on the hate \";)\"

Andy_Foz

Quote from: "shuttsies"does it reflect in the windscreen??

No, mate. its matt.

Andy

inert2k3

Quote from: "ad_car_08"I'm 100% with you - I detest the lego/duplo bobbles on the dash & often wonder what I can do about it.

That bit of 'CF' on the pocket looks good, but IMO might look abit much if you start covering your dash in it, and then is it going to be a bit obvious that you've just put a big sticker over it all?

But like I said, you've done a mighty fine job of the pocket!

+1 Be careful to avoid the giant sticker look

Id love to have my dash retrimmed in leather, but imagine the cost being at least £500

Mohammed   s:D :D s:D
02 MR2 Roadster]
Wanted]
Coming soon]

frogger

Just saw this on ebay...  m http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Toyota-MRS-CARBON ... 0457030822 m

May be a nice touch to your CF dash look.

kentsmudger

Looks very neat on the section you have done so far, but what did you use to sand it and will you be able to do the rest of the bobbles 'in situ' ?
I hate the bobbles on mine but have not yet seen a solution I like - This looks promising but I think it will be tricky in places.
[size=85] Unichip, full Hayward & Scott exhaust, race cat and manifold - markiii pipe, K & N panel, EBC Ultimax Slotted Discs, EBC pads, TTE springs, Corky\'s Breastplate, front & rear strut braces, brass shift bushes, Hankook Ventus V12 Evos, CG-Lock. Bama deflector, Mongos, Devs key cover, TTE gear-knob. My car and my pics of other cars.

[centre] 'I am, and ever will be a white socks, pocket protector, nerdy engineer' - Neil Armstrong (1930 – 2012) [/size][/centre]

Andy_Foz

Quote from: "kentsmudger"Looks very neat on the section you have done so far, but what did you use to sand it and will you be able to do the rest of the bobbles 'in situ' ?
I hate the bobbles on mine but have not yet seen a solution I like - This looks promising but I think it will be tricky in places.

I was just going to throw a few dustsheets down on the seats, open the roof and get in there with my DA to be honest with you!!! I dont think it would be too tricky, although I cant decide between the film or sanding it down flat and painting it at the minute. Nothing is going to happen anytime soon though as;

A) Im hungover as feck from my stag day yesterday
B) Imminent wedding this week
C)Honeymoon....!

Will update you when i get 5 minutes to myself!!!

Andy

Tags: