Crower Stage 2 Cams on stock ECU (P1349 error)

Started by tequilla, August 8, 2010, 08:26

tequilla

Hi, does anybody fit the Crower Stage 2 Cams N/A on stock ECU? I tried it but it fires the P1349 code (VVTi malfuction). Have no idea where I mess it up  s:) :) s:) . VVTi valve etc. is new, about 1000 miles on it. Are there any tips and tricks for this setup?
  • Toyota Yaris 1.0 1st gen. alias Hard Worker
  • Toyota MR2 Mark III (black magic) alias B*tch (new short block and many engine parts, new leather seats, new carpets, moded windshield, che\'s header, de-cated downpipe, TRD short shifter, TRD shift knob, Braille racing battery, Tanabe Sustek strut bars, MWR flywheel, JNZ SS brake lines (brake fluid Motul RBF600), darkday\'s frunksaver, dev\'s de-dimplator, minor weight reductions, etc.
  • Second sleeved 1.93l engine in progress for 2010 season...
  • Toyota FJ Cruiser alias my Dream

FGrob

Quote from: "tequilla"Hi, does anybody fit the Crower Stage 2 Cams N/A on stock ECU? I tried it but it fires the P1349 code (VVTi malfuction). Have no idea where I mess it up  s:) :) s:) . VVTi valve etc. is new, about 1000 miles on it. Are there any tips and tricks for this setup?
I can't imagine the engine being happy one bit, you really do need a piggy back or stand alone and a re-map. How did you replace the cams while the engine was still in the car? If so did you make sure the timing marks were in the correct position, also have you put the cam in the correct rotation position.

Rob
Ex owner of a Black 2004 car "which is quite possibly the finest normally aspirated MR2 Roadster in the country" as quoted by Japanese Performance Magazine Dec 2010.

Classic & Performance Car Show Winner Sunday 5th June 2011 - Tatton Park - Best Toyota MR2.

ChrisGB

For Crower stage 2 cams, you need to have replaced the valve springs as well. A stock ECU will probably leave the car drivable, but you will need to use a proper replacement ECU or a clever piggyback to make use of the performance increase.

As for the vvti code, the VVTi controller must not be locked when fitted. It must be able to move freely when installed, if it wont move freely, the cam will not advance and the engine runs fine at the top, but loses torque low down. The cam position sensor reports this as a fault.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

frogger

Havent swapped the cams, but I did get this code (i think) when I stupidly forgot to plug the connector for the camshaft timing OCV (Oil Control Valve) back in once   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  
It was so out of sight behind the top right corner of the engine that I forgot all about it!

Tem

I get the same code with Stage 2 FI cams.

Quote from: "ChrisGB"A stock ECU will probably leave the car drivable, but you will need to use a proper replacement ECU or a clever piggyback to make use of the performance increase.

Exactly. There's really no point in running those cams with stock ecu.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

tequilla

Quote from: "FGrob"
Quote from: "tequilla"Hi, does anybody fit the Crower Stage 2 Cams N/A on stock ECU? I tried it but it fires the P1349 code (VVTi malfuction). Have no idea where I mess it up  s:) :) s:) . VVTi valve etc. is new, about 1000 miles on it. Are there any tips and tricks for this setup?
I can't imagine the engine being happy one bit, you really do need a piggy back or stand alone and a re-map. How did you replace the cams while the engine was still in the car? If so did you make sure the timing marks were in the correct position, also have you put the cam in the correct rotation position.
Rob

Cams were replaced with the engine outside the car. Timing mark were in correct position, I checked it few times   s:) :) s:) .

Quote from: "ChrisGB"For Crower stage 2 cams, you need to have replaced the valve springs as well. A stock ECU will probably leave the car drivable, but you will need to use a proper replacement ECU or a clever piggyback to make use of the performance increase.

As for the vvti code, the VVTi controller must not be locked when fitted. It must be able to move freely when installed, if it wont move freely, the cam will not advance and the engine runs fine at the top, but loses torque low down. The cam position sensor reports this as a fault.

Chris

I have MWR springs and the head is completely refubrished (new Supertech valves, seats, gaskets, etc.). The car with stock ECU is drivable as you pointed, but it fires that ugly P1349 error  s:) :) s:) . Replacement ECU is planned, I have currently low budget (spent so much $$$ on the new engine build). I'm going to check if the VVTi is locked or not...I'm not sure for now. Thanks for tip.

Quote from: "frogger"Havent swapped the cams, but I did get this code (i think) when I stupidly forgot to plug the connector for the camshaft timing OCV (Oil Control Valve) back in once  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
It was so out of sight behind the top right corner of the engine that I forgot all about it!

I have connector OCV pluged in  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Quote from: "tem"Exactly. There's really no point in running those cams with stock ecu.

It seems no stock ECU = no P1349 error. Simple but expensive equation   s:cry: :cry: s:cry: .
  • Toyota MR2 Mark III (black magic) alias B*tch (new short block and many engine parts, new leather seats, new carpets, moded windshield, che\'s header, de-cated downpipe, TRD short shifter, TRD shift knob, Braille racing battery, Tanabe Sustek strut bars, MWR flywheel, JNZ SS brake lines (brake fluid Motul RBF600), darkday\'s frunksaver, dev\'s de-dimplator, minor weight reductions, etc.

tequilla

Another set of questions   s:D :D s:D  

Are there any clever piggyback unit with map for crower stage 2 cams?
Are there any cheap replacement ECU with map for crower stage 2 cams? (I suppose you recommend me Apexi Power FC commander at any cost)

ChrisGB

When I was looking at going stage 2, I was considering the Emerald ECU.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

Tem

Quote from: "tequilla"Are there any clever piggyback unit with map for crower stage 2 cams?
Are there any cheap replacement ECU with map for crower stage 2 cams? (I suppose you recommend me Apexi Power FC commander at any cost)

I don't recall seeing any piggyback nor replacement ecu with specific maps for those cams, not to mention any other mods you might or might not have.

Some users might have maps which have been tuned for their car with those cams. But then again, if your engine isn't just what they have, you might as well start tuning from the stock map.   s8) 8) s8)  

Apexi Power FC...that probably is the cheapest replacement ecu you can find. I don't recall seeing anything cheaper, have you? Cheaper units tend to be piggybacks.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Tags: