Better brakes?

Started by emptybee, October 3, 2010, 14:02

sam1176uk

Quote from: "frogger"Watch this space on Mintex pads, mine are possibly knocking due to ill-fitment, as are another forum users (potentially)

I have some official Mr T pads just arrived to swap out and test the theory... Will report back...

I'm interested in the results of that pad swap mate!

frogger

To update - the clunk WAS caused by a slightly poor quality (in terms of size control) Mintex pad, just a little bit too small so it shifts about just a tiny bit in the caliper. Now have a new set of pads - No Noise.  s:D :D s:D

manchestermatt1986

Quote from: "andywood"
Quote from: "aaronjb"<inner child> But they look nice and make a fun noise  s;) ;) s;)  </inner child>

That's why i got them and been happy ever since   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  
As good as standard discs in my opinion and were about same price when i got mine.
I have greenstuff pads that I have had no problems with yet, but like other comments here they do take a bit of warming up so i will defo try the yellows next time.

I think there is also a different zinc coating on these than the cheaper plain versions, so i think that this will offer better resistance to corrosion for longer (and so therefore also help purely from an aesthetic point of view)

Andy

you got drilled and grooved for the same price as standard? What make and where from?

Matt
Toyota/TRD Stage 2 Kit - C-one Wing - Hardtop - Injen Induction - Inner Vent LED\'s - Double Din JVC - Armrest - Painted Calipers - Custom Heatshileld - Two Active Subs In Bins - Blitz Nur Spec-S - Team Dynamic 16" - Twin Vocal Speakers On Bin Lids - JSpec Gear Knob - Che Manifold - Angel Eye Fogs -

andywood

sorry, i meant about the same price as stock items from Mr T. I am sure that a lot of money can be saved by going for pattern parts from Euro car parts or someone.
Think that i got mine from EBCbrakesdirect or something like that - seemed to be slightly cheaper than the rest of the bunch though.

Andy.
2003 Silver + Stuff = [strike]235bhp/225lbft[/strike],  + rethink = 195bhp

frogger

If you REALLY want drilled and/or grooved (for looks, sound, or track use I assume considering the above discussion  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  ), here's the best deal I've found:

m http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TOYOTA-MR2-ROADST ... 53dc8164d7 m

The seller also sells EBC yellow pads, so they're likely to be willing to do a deal for a full set of discs and good pads for a decent price (Est £250ish?)
EBC yellowstuff pads are highly rated for the roadster. EBC discs not so much!

For standard disc's I have always used this guy:

Discs + Budget Pads :   m http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TOYOTA-MR2-VVTi-R ... 4135e65512 m

Discs + Mintex Pads:  m http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0296127134 m

With no complaints until the last batch of Mintex pads, which caused that clunk mentioned in a post above.
I would still recommend the discs though. In fact the price is so good it was still a bargain buying that kit (at £105) and an OEM Mr T pad set for £26! (also ebay).

Tags: