Better brakes?

Started by emptybee, October 3, 2010, 14:02

emptybee

Hi guys, my car failed it's MOT on Friday due to rear brakes and I'm not sure which is the best route to go down. Shall I just replace the rear or is it worth doing the front as well for balance? Also which discs and pads should I go for? I've been looking at EBC turbo groove discs with green stuff pads and its looking to be around £350ish from EBCbrakes direct. Anyone used these or able to recommend some better/cheaper ones?

Cheers,

Max

Ilogik

stock pads and discs are good for everyday driving not a huge fan of ebc especially the green stuff pads.
Current: Genuine GT300 Monocraft running a 2ZZ-GE
Ex: Trial kitted Cam\'d Power fc
Ex: TRD stage 1 TTE Turbo

emptybee

Why's that Ilogik? I've heard people saying that performance brakes are good for hard driving when you don't want fade but can have a strange feel to them when cold. Is this what you meant?

Thanks

Anonymous

Not really, he means more that the stock brake setup is not easy to improve on or really worth doing unless you're running serious power/doing a lot of track work.

If the EBC discs are cheaper than OEM then by all means get them, but pair them with Yellowstuff pads instead of the horrible green ones.

Ilogik

The ebc green are crap and are worse than stock pads. If you want a proper performance pad buy some carbotechs, for fast road go for the bobcats.

These pads work great with stock disks.

If you want performance pads from ebc I think you will be looking more at the yellow or white stuff pads from mintex but even then these need to be warmed up whilst the carbotechs have good biting point from cold. If you do spirited driving on normal roads the stock pads are more than enough.

Ilogik

ahh you beat me to it. Depends what your doing.

Anonymous

Yellowstuff don't need warming up any more than one application really, so by the time you've got to the end of your road you're good to go.

emptybee

Great, thanks for the response. Do you have a part number for the yellow stuff pads as they don't seem to have an application for the roadster? Also is there a uk retailer for carbotech, can't seem to find any? Where is the best place to get stock discs?

Thanks again, Max

emptybee

Sorry, I lie. Found yellow stuff pads at ebcbrakeshop.co.uk £105 for front and rear.

Ilogik

emptybee

Don't seem to be any prices on the website so will give them a call tomorrow. Thanks for the advice, really appreciated as haven't got a clue when it comes to brakes!

aaronjb

Quote from: "emptybee"Great, thanks for the response. Do you have a part number for the yellow stuff pads as they don't seem to have an application for the roadster? Also is there a uk retailer for carbotech, can't seem to find any? Where is the best place to get stock discs?

Thanks again, Max

Look up the part numbers for greenstuff, drop the first '2' and replace it with a '4' for Yellowstuff  s;) ;) s;)  I just fitted Yellowstuff to mine - very nice brakes, actually.  I'm sure they were less than £105, too (I used brakes4u.co.uk)..
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Ilogik

Do they yellow stuff leave much brake dust? or make noise?

Goeman

Not much dust and no noise. I was using them on Tuesday at Cadwell Park. They're excellent with standard discs.
Russell

Ilogik

Cool might invest in a set, that will be the last of the mods for the year it hink along with new rubber ready to start the new year.

frogger

Yellowstuff and OEM style discs sounds like a good combo.
EBC discs aren't worth the 50 pence per kg iron they're cast in - warping seems to be as much an issue today as it was 5yrs ago:  l viewtopic.php?f=11&t=30845 l

Goeman

I don't see any reason to have grooved or drilled discs has the solid ones don't seem to fade. All you do with drilled and or grooved discs is reduce the contact patch and chew through the pads faster.
Russell

aaronjb

<inner child> But they look nice and make a fun noise  s;) ;) s;)  </inner child>
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

frogger

Quote from: "Goeman"I don't see any reason to have grooved or drilled discs has the solid ones don't seem to fade. All you do with drilled and or grooved discs is reduce the contact patch and chew through the pads faster.

Or in the case of drilled holes, add a splattering of stress raising areas for cracks to propagate from   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Grooves I can almost get on board with (if you're pushing the limits of the car something chronic for prolonged periods) as they can aid evacuation of dust/gaseos areas which can otherwise form momentarily between the disk and pad surface and cause a (momentary) pseudo-glazing type effect...

But drilled holes will always be a no no for me...  as will grooves on a road car.

andywood

Quote from: "aaronjb"<inner child> But they look nice and make a fun noise  s;) ;) s;)  </inner child>

That's why i got them and been happy ever since   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  
As good as standard discs in my opinion and were about same price when i got mine.
I have greenstuff pads that I have had no problems with yet, but like other comments here they do take a bit of warming up so i will defo try the yellows next time.

I think there is also a different zinc coating on these than the cheaper plain versions, so i think that this will offer better resistance to corrosion for longer (and so therefore also help purely from an aesthetic point of view)

Andy
2003 Silver + Stuff = [strike]235bhp/225lbft[/strike],  + rethink = 195bhp

Goeman

For discs I got Pagid ones from EuroCarParts. They've been on the car a few months and are still pristine. The Mintex ones on the front of my car went rusty as hell straight away. Both work fine though. It's just an appearance thing.
Russell

frogger

Watch this space on Mintex pads, mine are possibly knocking due to ill-fitment, as are another forum users (potentially)

I have some official Mr T pads just arrived to swap out and test the theory... Will report back...

AC

I've heard a couple of peeps say similar on drilled discs but if that is such a liability / potential weakness why do many serious sports car manufacturers have them as standard spec, I.e. Porsche?  Is it not more a case of average or even naff discs which are then drilled are prone to crack?  There must be some engineering acumen behind drilled discs?

[size=85]The famous Walter Rohrl once said "Stay away from rear-wheel-drive cars unless.......", I had to agree on one particular occasion, but we did live happily ever after (apart from the trousers, they were a write off).

Goeman

They do have a purpose. The reduce heat, de-glaze the pads and get rid of gasses that can build up during extended braking. If you have poor quality discs then it could exacerbate the failings of the disc.

In a Porsche that deals with big speeds I'd say their benefits outweigh any weakness they'd give the disc plus their brakes will be a much better quality.  

That's my guess anyway. Might be wrong.
Russell

frogger

Have a look at porsche brakes that have been used hard close up   s:) :) s:)   yeap, you guessed it - their cracked to buggery lol.

I'm not doubting thier function, but I'd imagine they reduce service life for sure.
Fine for dealer serviced porsche owners (kerching) and race cars with sponsors and new discs every race anyway, but not for me   s:) :) s:)   lol.

Tags: