Gearbox Trouble :(

Started by Ama_1979, December 16, 2010, 18:42

Ama_1979

Hi all,

I've been hearing a noise from the back of the car for a few days, a deep vibration noise although at first I thought it may be heatshield or maybe that was wishful thinking it did sound a little more sinister but I can't hear the noise standing outside of the car.  

The car has felt 'different' to drive lately but hard to pin point with the wet conditions it's felt unsafe and the steering hasn't felt like it has in the past..My mechanic picked the car up today and took it to his garage to have a look and can back bearing bad news, that it was the gearbox!!!  Arghhhh this close to Christmas, any hoo..I expect I'm looking at a small fortune for a 'new' gearbox but I'm wondering if anyone could shed some further light on this?  Could mine be 'refurbished' is it worth getting a second opinion?  How does the gearbox affect the car as in what am I likely to experience as changing gear is no problem at all I didn't think for one minute it would be this...

Any help most grateful, thanks all in advance

A pee'd off Ama humphh   s:( :( s:(

Anonymous

Oh noes Amy  s:( :( s:(

If you can get it over to mine this weekend I can give you a second opinion if you like? Not saying that your guy is wrong, of course, but the offer's there.

Ama_1979

Going to check out those links, thankyou Bryan  s:) :) s:)

Dan: If it's not too much agg for you then that would be great Dan thankyou   s:( :( s:(   feeling very sorry for my baby and ME right now grrrrr...Would Sunday suit?

Anonymous

Sunday will be fine, just shoot me a text before you leave and let me know when you're coming, don't think we've got anything planned here at all.  s:) :) s:)

Ama_1979

Will do Mister thankyooooooooooooooooooooooo

sarah86

Oh my gosh that sounds just like mine at the moment. Its also quite juddery when its warmed up especially in low gear or reverse. I had a new clutch last wkend as mine went so may have affected gear box. I also have quite a strong burning clutch/rubber smell...any of these symptoms sound familiar? Its so hard to say why it feels different driving it but it almost feels like my wheels aren't on the ground, like they're really light. Just generally feels unsafe  s:( :( s:(

Ama_1979

Hi Sarah unfortunately those symptoms sound very familiar, as you said it's hard to explain but it just feels unsafe that's how I feel about mine.  I shall keep you posted with how I get on with mine, I am to enquire about having my existing gearbox 'refurbed' if possible...but any other suggestions or garage recommendations in Essex that do gearboxes would be greatfully appreciated????

Amy

Fatbloater

They're not in Essex but theres a company in Milton Keynes called Indie Tech whom the Audi boys reckon are superb with gearboxes. And the Audi Auto boxes they're fixing are one of the most complex bits of kit you'll ever see.
MR2 \'Red\' Edition - \'54 Reg.  Mods : Clarion FZ709E Single Din Stereo, Pre-cats Removed

"WAX On - WAX Off"

normanh

You could try Thames Transmissions on Canvey, they have a pretty good reputation.

norman

Tags: