Opinions - Change to black from red?? (Calipers)

Started by andywood, January 20, 2011, 16:13

andywood

Hi all

Been thinking about changing to black calipers from the red that they are in currently.

Now that my wheels have been anthracite for some time i think that the red is just slightly OTT:

What do you think? Would black be the better solution?

I have decided that now the wheels are dark the calipers have to be painted as the darker wheel draws more attention to what is behind. Black caliper would certainly be more understated, not need as much cleaning (!), not show chips so easily and look pretty smart i reckon.
My only slight concern is that i won't be able to get all the existing red paint off (wire brush should get most off).

Anyone got any pics of black calipers with black/dark wheels??

Cheers for any comments

Andy.
2003 Silver + Stuff = [strike]235bhp/225lbft[/strike],  + rethink = 195bhp

aglassinthesink

i havent got a picture but i've seen it before, i think it looks too dark IMO, red looks great and so does blue
-Paul

[size=85]2006 Toyota mr2 in silver. K&N 57i Gen 2, JDM badge and a blingy engine bay[/size]

nathanMR2

I think it all depends what kind of look your going for. I toyed with the idea of red callipers but decided against it. I think they look good but i wanted the more stelth look so i went black.

If you take a look at page 8 of the below link (sorry im using my phone right now so cant copy the pictures over) you will see my wheels and black callipers with MR2 logo.

If you do go for black i would recommend a few good coats of clear gloss to make the shine and keep the shine. It will also help protect the paint a little

l viewtopic.php?f=13&t=30092&start=210 l
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

Krissg

I'm also disputing caliper colour, my car is black with black wheels so I went for the most extreme calipers.....
ST orange! they look goo but want a change just think black would be too dark so thinking blue/purple??  s:) :) s:)
2003 MR2 Red....watch this space!
Ex- MR2, black MSD kit.

AmeR

What about Grey? Say a similar shade to Sable?

Kriss,

Go RS green!!  s8) 8) s8)

Krissg

Quote from: "AmeR"What about Grey? Say a similar shade to Sable?

Kriss,

RS green?! really? Ooo il sleep on that one!
Ex- MR2, black MSD kit.

Mike G

Blacks too subtle with dark wheels,, go silver........ too many people doing red calipers now IMO  all trying to look too Brembo / Porschesque.   Mine need painting and am only doing them cos their looking a bit sruffy , so they are going silver on a sable car  If they did nt need it I would rather see stock, but good condition calipers...THATS UNDERSTATRD , LESS IS MORE !
2004 Facelift in Crystal Silver (sub 30k)  with genuine bodykit,Precats out,Red Leather,Remus Dual Exhaust,Carbon Thresholds,vvti Badging on wings,TTE chrome fuel flap surround,Bridgestone Potenza REO40's ,Aerial override mode,RED Mohair roof, Bonnet and engine cover gas struts and a few other small internal tweaks :-)
And now... Mikes (my own) anti dash creak mod !

creamykiwi

lol this is another thing on the list of things i should do - paint's starting to come off my calipers but i like them red so when i do them, they'll stay red  s:) :) s:)

Krissg

Quote from: "Krissg"

Kriss,

Done it Amer!! RS green iv gone!!! Look awesome!!  s:) :) s:)
Ex- MR2, black MSD kit.

AmeR

Kriss,

Done it Amer!! RS green iv gone!!! Look awesome!!  s:) :) s:)

Let's see some pics then!!!!

andywood

Quote from: "Mike G"Blacks too subtle with dark wheels,, go silver........ too many people doing red calipers now IMO  all trying to look too Brembo / Porschesque.   Mine need painting and am only doing them cos their looking a bit sruffy , so they are going silver on a sable car  If they did nt need it I would rather see stock, but good condition calipers...THATS UNDERSTATRD , LESS IS MORE !

I hadn't actually thought about silver until now, will definitely give this further thought too......cheers

Anonymous

How about getting some TRD calipers instead?

andywood

Quote from: "Project_zzw30"How about getting some TRD calipers instead?

guessing that maybe a little bit more expensive and hassle than a £4.50 pot of hammerite!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Andy.

aglassinthesink

Quote from: "Krissg"Done it Amer!! RS green iv gone!!! Look awesome!!  s:) :) s:)

I wanna see that too! Sounds great!

How difficult is it to paint them? Got a week off next week so this is guna be my first little mod lol
-Paul

[size=85]2006 Toyota mr2 in silver. K&N 57i Gen 2, JDM badge and a blingy engine bay[/size]

nathanMR2

Painting is not difficult at all. You can paint them while they are on the car in situ.

Jack the car up and make sure its safe.
Wheel off and give the calliper a good clean. I wire brushed mine to get rid of the brake dust and rust etc
Then you need a good 3/4 coats. Dont forget with this cold weather it could take a bit longer for the paint to dry. A hair dryer on low could help speed things up.
Be careful not to paint any moving parts. I also used a coat of clear coat to gloss them up abit.

I found without it after a few months the paint started to dull a little.
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

aglassinthesink

Cheers pal, you've just saved me a morning of searching tomoz   s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:
-Paul

Tags: