cat removal

Started by Anonymous, May 8, 2011, 18:47

Anonymous

hi guys once again im new to this so aploagise if this isnt in the right section

right iv had the mr2 about 3 months now and want it to sound abit throatier

iv also just learned that theres one main cat and 2 pre cats

iv oredered a decat manifold and was wondering if this will make it pop more ? or sound better???

so basicly thats what i want to know ...will it sound better or will i need to remove the other cat aswell:)    

thanks  s:) :) s:)     jay

mrzwei

Hi,It's a good idea to get rid of the pre-cats and a che type manifold will do this and will usually sound and perform a bit better.
If you remove the main cat then it will fail an exhaust emissions test and will therefore be illegal.
Lots on here get around this by replacing the main cat with a sports cat.

Search precats and you will crash your computer with info overload   s:D :D s:D
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

Anonymous

If you want a better sound add induction and/or after market exhaust,a Markiii pipe will make a decent difference for the money but best noise comes from after market exhausts.

Anonymous

thanks for both replies there much appretiated ..... whats a markiii pipe?? lol is it possible to just decat the standard exhaust ??? im also in abit of a rut with the whole exhaust choice thing aswell i really like the team moon sound but when i called and had a chat with them i discovered the postage was quite expensive... does anyone know if i can get a similar sounding exhaust in the uk ???      thanks      jay

deadmau5

l viewtopic.php?f=36&t=28403 l  - Markiii has two left for sale

Everyone on here seems to recommend cobra exhausts;  m http://www.cobrasport.com/exhaust/Toyot ... 0#products m  .

uktotty

you can also look at
PPE Intake
AEM Cold Air Intake
as well as the Markiii one

Anonymous

OldMan

Replacing the stock manifold with a cheap replacement "header" is a waste of time and money.  A gutted stock manifold offers essentially the same performance & sound while being more robust than cheap aftermarket units.  Plus, gutting the stock manifold is almost free, requiring only new gaskets and nuts.  http://www.midshiprunabout.org/mk3/precat-information/

If you expect any performance gains at all, you must buy a high-quality header such as those offered by
Zero_Exhausts http://www.zeroexhausts.co.uk/products.htm
or PPE http://www.ppeengineering.com/products/toyota/mr2spyder/1zzfestock.php

I can't comment on the PPE unit, but the Zero_Exhausts header produces a wonderful (subdued) growl.
If your Porsche is not anhydrous, there IS a substitute.

markiii

they offer one benefit, no resonance from empty cat chambers
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

manchestermatt1986

Just been looking at the zero header and it says that the o2 sensors are sighted lower down. plus im guessing there will be 3? as its for a mr2, my mr-s only has 2 sensors, do i just bung the other one up?
Toyota/TRD Stage 2 Kit - C-one Wing - Hardtop - Injen Induction - Inner Vent LED\'s - Double Din JVC - Armrest - Painted Calipers - Custom Heatshileld - Two Active Subs In Bins - Blitz Nur Spec-S - Team Dynamic 16" - Twin Vocal Speakers On Bin Lids - JSpec Gear Knob - Che Manifold - Angel Eye Fogs -

FGrob

Quote from: "manchestermatt1986"Just been looking at the zero header and it says that the o2 sensors are sighted lower down. plus I'm guessing there will be 3? as its for a mr2, my mr-s only has 2 sensors, do i just bung the other one up?
The manifold itself only has 2 O2 sensors, the third is fitted after the main cat, which is not used on an MRS. The only sensor that requires a wiring mod is the one on the right looking down at the manifold, I used the extended lead sensor (the one fitted after the main cat) so no cutting required.

I would check if Zero are still in production, the last time I spoke to them they were talking of closing down.

Rob.
Ex owner of a Black 2004 car "which is quite possibly the finest normally aspirated MR2 Roadster in the country" as quoted by Japanese Performance Magazine Dec 2010.

Classic & Performance Car Show Winner Sunday 5th June 2011 - Tatton Park - Best Toyota MR2.

SandmanMR2

I had a cobra sports cat fitted this weekend, that combined with a PPE intake and the pre-cats bashed out of the manifold has made my TTE twins pipes sound evil, a fair bit of popping and crackling on the over run.  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:
Previously owned a 06 MR2 Roadster TF edition No.117 - Debadged Rear - Midship Front Badge - PPE Intake - TTE Springs - TTE Twin Exhaust - Pre-Cats Removed - Cobra Sports Cat - RAF Tornado Black OEM Alloys With Midship Badges - RAF Tornado Black TRD Style Spoiler

Now the proud owner of a Crystal Pearl White 2010 Mazda 3 MPS

Tags: