Sound deading?

Started by manchestermatt1986, May 29, 2011, 23:01

manchestermatt1986

Stargazer has a thread on at the min showing his build and sound deading, I just wondered. What people have done, used and found as I am about to do my front speakers. I have used dynomat I'n the past but it's so expensive

Matt
Toyota/TRD Stage 2 Kit - C-one Wing - Hardtop - Injen Induction - Inner Vent LED\'s - Double Din JVC - Armrest - Painted Calipers - Custom Heatshileld - Two Active Subs In Bins - Blitz Nur Spec-S - Team Dynamic 16" - Twin Vocal Speakers On Bin Lids - JSpec Gear Knob - Che Manifold - Angel Eye Fogs -

markiii

Flashing tape is fine but you need to do the inside of the door panels, not the way he did
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

DannyN

Did a load of cars once at the ding day.  Just used flashing tape from B&Q.
I removed the door cards, then carefully peeled off the plastic liner and kept it for reapplying later then coated all the inside of the door skin with the flashing, then put the plastic liner and the doorcard back on.
A tip is to roll out the flashing tape fold it in half and then cut so you get a piece for each door
Quote from: \"DannyN\"There are 10 types of people in the world,
Those who understand Binary and those that don\'t...

[size=75]Black 51 165 BHP - Hardtop ON - Teins - Apexi Power FC - AEM Induction (Cleaned) - Crower Cams - Forged Pistons - Iridium Plugs - Zero Manifold - SP Downpipe - H&S - TRD SS - Corkys MSMB - Goodridge - \'03 Vents - Devs - Bamas - Crystal Indies - Mongos.
[/size]

stargazer30

Quote from: "markiii"Flashing tape is fine but you need to do the inside of the door panels, not the way he did

I did just didn't photo it.  Well I did behind the speaker, not the whole inside, thats overkill for a soft top IMO.
2003 Silver MR2 - Very Very Standard + Leccy Renault Zoe aka the battery mobile.
Ex Blue 04 MR2 - TTE Turbo\'d ~185bhp/200lbs/ft, Sports Clutch, Breast Plate, Lowered & half decent audio
Ex Silver 05 MR2 -  SP turbo conversion 227bhp, 205lbs/ft, with  cobra dual exit exhaust.

manchestermatt1986

Am i correct in thinking that the flashig tape goes on the rear side of the actual panel where the otherside is outdoors of the car? Do you have to completely cover the door skin? When i looked at dynomat they seemed to just put it where the actual speaker is

Matt
Toyota/TRD Stage 2 Kit - C-one Wing - Hardtop - Injen Induction - Inner Vent LED\'s - Double Din JVC - Armrest - Painted Calipers - Custom Heatshileld - Two Active Subs In Bins - Blitz Nur Spec-S - Team Dynamic 16" - Twin Vocal Speakers On Bin Lids - JSpec Gear Knob - Che Manifold - Angel Eye Fogs -

markiii

To do it you do the whole inside of the outer panel

I even did 2 layers and no it's not overkill, it works
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

DannyN

Quote from: "markiii"To do it you do the whole inside of the outer panel

+1
The rolls I got did about 1 and 3/4 coats of each door

You'll notice the difference just by closing the door, it closes with a much more satisfying clunk

[size=75]Black 51 165 BHP - Hardtop ON - Teins - Apexi Power FC - AEM Induction (Cleaned) - Crower Cams - Forged Pistons - Iridium Plugs - Zero Manifold - SP Downpipe - H&S - TRD SS - Corkys MSMB - Goodridge - \'03 Vents - Devs - Bamas - Crystal Indies - Mongos.
[/size]

CpnSpankyPantz

I'm about to do this, does anyone have any guidline pictures?

manchestermatt1986

Quote from: "DannyN"
Quote from: "markiii"To do it you do the whole inside of the outer panel

+1
The rolls I got did about 1 and 3/4 coats of each door

You'll notice the difference just by closing the door, it closes with a much more satisfying clunk

1and 3/4 each door? how much does this stuff weigh? If it is the stuff im thinking of it looks like a roll of black thick squidgy stuff?

Matt

stargazer30

I suspose it depends on what your trying to acheive with the sound deadening.

In my case I was after improving the audio, so I used the deadening to create an enclosure mostly, ie cover the holes.  This makes the most difference, and I speak from a heck of a lot of experience and installs on various cars here.  If you want to try to eliminate road noise as well then the more the better and do the whole door.  It obviously improves the sound a bit more as less road noise to polute it.

Im my case I didn't do this, I wanted to keep the weight down and to be honest its a soft top so road noise is a necessary evil. So IMO and thats what it is an opinion its overkill.

** EDIT ** Op if you do go at it banzai style with the flashing tape, be careful not to cover the drain holes at the bottom of the door!
2003 Silver MR2 - Very Very Standard + Leccy Renault Zoe aka the battery mobile.
Ex Blue 04 MR2 - TTE Turbo\'d ~185bhp/200lbs/ft, Sports Clutch, Breast Plate, Lowered & half decent audio
Ex Silver 05 MR2 -  SP turbo conversion 227bhp, 205lbs/ft, with  cobra dual exit exhaust.

DannyN

This is what we used on about 10 cars at one of the first ding days

m http://www.wickes.co.uk/hi-tack-flashin ... vt/243010/ m

It makes a huge difference doing the door skin to both the daily drive and the stereo quality

[/size]

manchestermatt1986

Quote from: "DannyN"This is what we used on about 10 cars at one of the first ding days

m http://www.wickes.co.uk/hi-tack-flashin ... vt/243010/ m

It makes a huge difference doing the door skin to both the daily drive and the stereo quality

Yea, that's what I thought it would be. My friend bought some years ago to do a del sol. Wondering whether to do the whole inside door or just cover the holes?   s:? :? s:?

stargazer30

Quote from: "manchestermatt1986"Yea, that's what I thought it would be. My friend bought some years ago to do a del sol. Wondering whether to do the whole inside door or just cover the holes?   s:? :? s:?

No harm in covering the holes, seeing if your happy with the sound quality and if not add an extra layer and do the full door.  Flashing tape is cheap enough.

markiii

The whole point is to stop the panel resonating

Covering holes doesn't really achieve that

manchestermatt1986

Well I'm I'n the process of purchasing some lambo doors of serina and I'm wondering what effect the extra weight will have on the struts. I know lambo doors aren't everyones taste but I like them and think they look great on the mr2 as the doors are a perfect shape.

AmeR

If you're sticking them on Matt I'd wait until you have done them and see how responsive they are. Wouldn't have thought it would add much weight to it though.

Going to put some more on mine next time I have the panels off I think although mine seems to be ok

ekimq

Yep, fit the doors and then just drop the roll of tape inside and if the door still opens then you know it'll work when you apply the tape.

Best £15 I ever spent on my '2   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Mike
The sun is out, get your top off!

AmeR

Quote from: "ekimq"Yep, fit the doors and then just drop the roll of tape inside and if the door still opens then you know it'll work when you apply the tape.

Best £15 I ever spent on my '2   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Good idea!!

Smart ****!!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

stargazer30

Quote from: "markiii"The whole point is to stop the panel resonating

Covering holes doesn't really achieve that

The parts that resonate are the plastic door cards and the thin plastic water proof menbrane.  The metal is not a problem except near the speaker itself.  Even with just the holes covered I can have my amped speakers running full belt and I get no nasty resonation from the door cards now and it sounds great.

But for the sake of argument Op just cover the whole door!

markiii

you didn't line the plastic door cards either, so still failed to address the issue

stargazer30

Quote from: "markiii"you didn't line the plastic door cards either, so still failed to address the issue

Mark, my doors don't rattle anymore so I'm pretty sure I did.  I have no issue with my install (well except the sub but thats another story).

DannyN

I would definitely put the plastic liner back.
It's easy enough to peel off carefully as it leaves sticky stuff on the door and the plastic making it easy to put back in place and push together to stick back on

Also be careful not cover the drain hole at the very bottom of the door as that's to let the rainwater back out. You don't want to trap it and then try to work out why your door is sloshing  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

[/size]

markiii

Quote from: "stargazer30"
Quote from: "markiii"you didn't line the plastic door cards either, so still failed to address the issue

Mark, my doors don't rattle anymore so I'm pretty sure I did.  I have no issue with my install (well except the sub but thats another story).

they might not audibly rattle they will still resonate

Chris H

hi,
   have just sound deadened my doors today and installed new speakers,
got flashing tape from wickes,1 roll 150mm by 10metre's length,£10.99.
no more door rattles and fantastic sound.

chris

manchestermatt1986

Quote from: "Chris H"hi,
   have just sound deadened my doors today and installed new speakers,
got flashing tape from wickes,1 roll 150mm by 10metre's length,£10.99.
no more door rattles and fantastic sound.

chris

did you cover the entire inside door panel?

Tags: