RIP Slapa

Started by Anonymous, June 4, 2011, 22:44

Anonymous

Just got home so I'll post a couple of pictures and write a bit more about it tomorrow, I have a possible theory of what could have been the cause as well.

AmeR

Glad you both got back safely Les. Shame about Slapa but she did you well right up until the end!!

Toplesscouple

That screen surround is clearly stronger than it looks, Les. Even more impressed you both escaped unscathed   s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:  

I assume the car will stay abroad as it must be a write off although I wonder if it would be worth seeing if you can buy the salvage if they do bring it back.

Also depends if you decide to buy another one I suppose.

Little RED Roadster

Wow Les, that must have been very scary.  

Thank goodness you came out safely, she really did look after you both...bless her
Michelle & Ian

04 Roadster Silver. Toyota Body Kit. TTE Banana Spoiler. TTE Twin Exhaust. Netz Style Bar. FK Lowering Springs. Custom LSC Leather Interior. Silver Calipers. Dev\'s Key Hole Covers. Silver Hardtop.[/color][/b]

Ex owner of 04 \'Red\' Ltd Edition

Treboeth

Fair do`s Les when you break a car you do the full job don`t you  s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:  

Testament to the car though you both got out okay after landing upside down, full explanation expected soon in thew meantime chill out with a bottle of red.

Hope you get the car back so you can keep the best bits for Slapa2  s:mrgreen: :mrgreen: s:mrgreen:

E

s:shock: :shock: s:shock:   thank god you are both alright.

PeteT

s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

I can;t believe you both got out in one piece. I am so relieved you both got out ok.
Pete

s12vea

Glad your both ok.   s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:
TF204 Blue
Another one won't hurt  .....

devil-ish

Well guys, it is now my turn to say a few words.  

First of all I am so proud of the way Slapa looked after us both to the end - we are both completely uninjured after what was a major accident, I feel this says something very positive about our roadsters.

As for Slapa........no words can say how sad I am at our loss, its as if we have lost one of our family   s:( :( s:(  

We are hoping to get a replacement (if it cant be repaired - which seems very unlikely), so we will be back..........although it will never be the same as our first love it will be a new beginning.

RIP Laslapa.....................................................................  s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:
love the wide open spaces with my top off!!!!!!  ex Owner of Celica VVTLi 190 and Aygo Special Edition Black now proud owner of IQ2 Silver, Driver of Roadster.......

Curlytoppz

Gutted for you and your lovely car.  She did a good job of protecting you and held up well in the accident.

markiii

Ouch glad your both ok

Les look forward to your theory
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

NorthandSouth

Les and Anne it so good to see that you have both escaped a terrible crash unscathed on the outside although having a broken heart at losing Slapa. As already said she did you proud and looked after you well so you cant ask for more than that.  Look forward to seeing you both hopefully with a new addition xxx
Lynne
2004 Sable Red Edition now sold :( and would so love another!

inert2k3

Amazing when you look at the pics that you both walked away fine  s:) :) s:)  sorry for your loss, but glad your ok
02 MR2 Roadster]
Wanted]
Coming soon]

Ilogik

jesus mate, how fast were you going? looks like it held up well, glad your ok.
Current: Genuine GT300 Monocraft running a 2ZZ-GE
Ex: Trial kitted Cam\'d Power fc
Ex: TRD stage 1 TTE Turbo

loadswine

At the end of the day, what really matters  is that two of my closest friends are okay.
Really thankful for that. Yes,a shame about the car and I've followed it for thousands of miles across euope, but it looked after you when it mattered.
Good job little car!  s8) 8) s8)
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

DannyN

Blinkin ell, wow!
So glad to hear that your both ok and got out unharmed.
Dx
Quote from: \"DannyN\"There are 10 types of people in the world,
Those who understand Binary and those that don\'t...

[size=75]Black 51 165 BHP - Hardtop ON - Teins - Apexi Power FC - AEM Induction (Cleaned) - Crower Cams - Forged Pistons - Iridium Plugs - Zero Manifold - SP Downpipe - H&S - TRD SS - Corkys MSMB - Goodridge - \'03 Vents - Devs - Bamas - Crystal Indies - Mongos.
[/size]

nathanMR2

I didnt realise it was so bad Les. Glad the car held up well enough to keep you safe. Bet that was well scary.

Glad your both ok x
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

Anonymous

Ever since the accident I have been racking my brain as to the reason for the sudden breakaway. After over eight years of ownership, covering tens of thousands of miles in all types of conditions in England as well as Europe, I know that prior to the incident I was driving well within my own as well as the cars capabilities for the conditions at the time.  They were wet, but not raining, on a very damp road that had no standing water.   In fact, of the three of us in convoy with me in the middle I had seconds before said to Anne that I would be hanging back from the Roadster in front because I knew that Jason behind had slick type tyres on (don't know the make). The left hand bend was reasonably sharp with a downhill gradient
When the rear of the car suddenly broke away it was very rapid as if hitting a patch of black ice and because of the downhill slope I wasn't even under power and had lifted off way before the breakaway.  Even with full opposite lock it had no response and I was just there for the ride. I have to admit that although it was scary I never felt that it would be an injury causing accident because of the relatively low speed.
As Jason was behind me he witnessed the whole thing and said the actual roll over was so slow it looked like it would drop back on its wheels, unfortunately it just went over the point of no return landing on the roof, which was up after recently driving through a monsoon.  Even so I think the end result with the roof down would have meant dropping onto grass after undoing the seat belt instead of vinyl.
One theory I do have as to the cause is that prior to the accident we had followed Jean-Loup on a shall we say "farm track" that showed on his sat-nav (Yes, damned sat-nav's) as a road when it never even registered on any others. After about five kilometres Nigel, who was with Nathan, and Nic turned back where Jason and I carried on to the end after another ten kilometres - a 4x4 would have been a better vehicle to negotiate all the potholes and uneven conditions so our little cars took a bit of a battering. I'm pretty sure that nothing mechanical was damaged during this time, however I did have several items stowed in the recess above my O/S/R wheel, including one litre of oil and one litre of coolant mix. I usually take these items out when arriving at my destination but had left them in on this occasion so there is a high possibility that one of these items could have ruptured, as they were situated over the wheel and after our VERY bumpy journey.  The likelyhood of contaminating the tyre would be very high indeed. I can't prove or disprove that this was the cause of the accident as time has passed and I am now several hundred miles away from the location, this or some other form of contamination on the road is the only thing that could explain the sudden breakaway that caused the demise of my old friend Slapa.

Looking at the first picture of the road, I started to break away just after where the car is stopped with the initial impact on the bottom right of the picture.
The second picture shows the short distance travelled after impact.
Had excessive speed been a factor I would probably have sustained less damage by running off to the left of the picture.....

AmeR

Probably could have been a number of small things Les. No point second guessing it all. I think it's just one of those things that has happened, that may not have done 999 times out of a thousand!!

Glad you were both unharmed, and although it has resulted in the loss of Slapa, that is the important thing!

Two's Company

Jeez - glad you're both ok.

Steve

uktotty

shocking pics Les, can only echo everyone else comments about the health and wellbeing of you and mum.
Seems a real shame to end its life over there but I guess its not ecconomical to bring back even to salvages some of your ratehr cool mods.

ChrisGB

Kin ell Les, that could have been nasty. Always sad when a car is good to you and then it goes, you do get really attached to the good ones. Glad you are both OK and looking forward to having another roadster.

I had a similar low cornering force damp road snap away moment a few years ago, luckily, I had room to gather it up again, cause was potentially the same as yours could be. Would it be tactless of me to mention mixed tyres at this time?

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

Anonymous

Quote from: "ChrisGB"Kin ell Les, that could have been nasty. Always sad when a car is good to you and then it goes, you do get really attached to the good ones. Glad you are both OK and looking forward to having another roadster.

I had a similar low cornering force damp road snap away moment a few years ago, luckily, I had room to gather it up again, cause was potentially the same as yours could be. Would it be tactless of me to mention mixed tyres at this time?

Chris

New Yoko rears (at least a thousand miles on them) with good Yoko's on the front Chris that's what is so frustrating   s:? :? s:?

ChrisGB

Quote from: "Les"
Quote from: "ChrisGB"Kin ell Les, that could have been nasty. Always sad when a car is good to you and then it goes, you do get really attached to the good ones. Glad you are both OK and looking forward to having another roadster.

Chris

New Yoko rears (at least a thousand miles on them) with good Yoko's on the front Chris that's what is so frustrating   s:? :? s:?

I was thinking S.drives on the rear 043 on the front.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

Mike_V

Les, Ann.
So pleased that you are both ok, I know how you are feeling as I had a very similar incident in a V6 Clio, unhurt (or so I thought at the time) but the shock factor takes it's toll which people tend to forget about and I know it took me a long time to get back to normal. Good luck, best wishes and roll on Slapa 2.

Mike
EX 2000 MR2 Roadster,silver,grey/black leather trim,TTE rear bumper inserts,black-grey Momo steering wheel,17" Rota GT3 wheels,KYB struts and FK springs,TRD short shifter with brass shifter bushes,Matt Performance under body brace,Megan arms,Che ARBs,Pirhana discs and Yellow stuff pads,Custom stage 2 T28 SP Turbo,charge cooler system,Helix clutch,lightened flywheel,Moroso sump, custom exhaust and induction kit,550 cc injectors,Link storm G4 ECU with 260bhp&240 ft lbs.
----------------------------------------
2004 Red edition in Sable.
http://s984.photobucket.com/albums/ae323/Mike_V/

Tags: