Alloy Refurb or new

Started by Paulipops, October 11, 2011, 17:43

Paulipops

First post here but need help
Got a cheap MX2 2000 Reg last month but the wheels are just flaked and bubbled to base.
So do I go for the refurb or go for 2nd Hand aftermarket wheels as working out same
costs .Also will the refurb bubble and flake again after time.

Both look nice but just dont want to get laughed at if someone sees me lol

mrzwei

My refurb, done under warranty via Toyota, had started to bubble again when I sold it so probably good for four years in my case.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

K T M Rider

standard wheels are fairly lightweight, cheap aftermarket wheels may be significantly heavier and therefore have a negative effect on the handling, acceleration and braking of your car.

So I would say that unless you are absolutely sure of what you are buying it is better to refurb the stock wheels.

A thread about wheel weights:

l viewtopic.php?f=7&t=33472&p=404402&hilit=WHEEL+WEIGHT#p404402 l
Grey 2012 GT86 / ex 2001 W / 2003 03 /2003 53 MR2s
Orange 2019 Aygo Xcite Daily Driver

Paulipops

Thanks for the update
Think I'm gonna go for some aftermarket 2nd hand off this site some good guys here to help

Just checked last night and mine currently has all stock at 15" with 195 Tyres -
 Reading looks like the older year 2000 models did not come with the
staggered set-up so dont see much point doing a refurd when really should change.

Anonymous

Stagger was 15x6 front, 15x6.5 rear on 00-02.

Paulipops

You see always learning - will check this out tonight

aaronjb

If you fancied a perfect set of standard alloys, I have a set of 2003+ sized (15" front, 16" rear) refurbished Toyota alloys sitting in the shed that I'd let go for a reasonable amount.. You'd need to put tyres on them (the ones on there now are completely bald!) but other than that they are in pristine condition.. Drop me a PM if you're at all interested. </threadjack>
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

markiii

not just the tyres that are staggered

stock wheels are also staggered

front is 15" 6" wide

rear is a 15" 6.5" wide

you will struggle to get staggered wheels aftermarket.

unless you really hate teh stock design I strongly suggest refurbing, maybe a different colour? if that floats your boat
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

iPap

I bought Russ's Dark Anthracite referbed stock rims and think they look pretty good on my black car.  

2001, Black MR2, Elise Leather Seats, Aircon and Factory TTE Kit, BC Coilovers, SP Brace, Corkys Front Brace, Devs\' Front Bushes, Rebuilt Toyota 1ZZ Engine, Head and Six Speed Box, Cobra Twin Exhaust, Decat Manifold, Short Shift and Solid Bushes, etc...

Tags: