Piggy back ecu . Plug and play ???

Started by Tommygun1, November 9, 2011, 23:35

Tommygun1

Just wondering how people rate these as I don't know what they really do (good or bad) . Would like a bit more performance  but was just thinking of getting it mapped . Which would be better . Also can I do it to a standard car . What's the going rate for a piggy back .
Cheers

markiii

You can't remap a stock ecu
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Tommygun1

Ah this helps I'm new to fiddling my car so that helps . Looks like the dasek chip gives the best increase in power with less mod .

stargazer30

Generally you add a chip to a car to supplement and make the most of other performance mods.  You won't gain much chipping a stock car.  Typically add a decent header, sports cat, cat back exhaust and cold air intake then chip it.

What I've found on NA cars is the mods above increase top end BHP but you loose mid range torque in the process.  The chip puts this back and further increases the top end BHP.

Now if you have a turbo then its a different matter!
2003 Silver MR2 - Very Very Standard + Leccy Renault Zoe aka the battery mobile.
Ex Blue 04 MR2 - TTE Turbo\'d ~185bhp/200lbs/ft, Sports Clutch, Breast Plate, Lowered & half decent audio
Ex Silver 05 MR2 -  SP turbo conversion 227bhp, 205lbs/ft, with  cobra dual exit exhaust.

Tommygun1

I see so its worth sorting out my exhaust and parts first . Ok lads thanks for the help will be doing this in the future then
Tom

dj2k21

Hi Tom, I'm just over Stockton and am usually over teesside park on a Wednesday night so if you need any help with anything or want some advise with things then drop me a message mate. But yes u need to start with the usual mods first before adding piggyback ecus. Personally I don't think there worth the money
[size=85]Veilside Fortune Kit| Veilside Andrew Racing Wheels| Veilside Pro-Drag Exhaust | MWR Stage 4 Race Built Engine | FRD Custom Turbo Conversion | Veilside Turbo Manifold | Link G4 ECU | Flocked & Leather Trimmed Interior | Cobra Misano Seats | Cobra 4 Point Harnesses | Face Lift Front & Rear Lights | Corky\'s Breast Plate | C-one Rear Strut Brace | C-one Engine Damper | Speed Source Engine Mount Inserts | Tein Super Street Coilovers & EDFC | Defi Oil Pressure & Boost Gauges & Daisy Chain Control Unit | BMC Air Intake | D2 8 Pot Big Brake Conversion | Plus Much Much More![/size]

Tommygun1

Cheers mate might get in touch and have a mini meet . Any more takers

dj2k21

Yeh you should do, seeing mine might help you decide what you want from yours mate
[size=85]Veilside Fortune Kit| Veilside Andrew Racing Wheels| Veilside Pro-Drag Exhaust | MWR Stage 4 Race Built Engine | FRD Custom Turbo Conversion | Veilside Turbo Manifold | Link G4 ECU | Flocked & Leather Trimmed Interior | Cobra Misano Seats | Cobra 4 Point Harnesses | Face Lift Front & Rear Lights | Corky\'s Breast Plate | C-one Rear Strut Brace | C-one Engine Damper | Speed Source Engine Mount Inserts | Tein Super Street Coilovers & EDFC | Defi Oil Pressure & Boost Gauges & Daisy Chain Control Unit | BMC Air Intake | D2 8 Pot Big Brake Conversion | Plus Much Much More![/size]

Stifler

Reviving and older thread as I have a question (due to me not being very smart  s;) ;) s;) ).....

I have the following modifications performed on the car:

* markiii pipe
* K&N panel filter
* Toyo sports decat manifold
* Apexi WS2 exhaust

I'm just starting to look into piggy back ecu's.  I was wondering if there would actually be much of an increase to bhp and torque if I went ahead and spent some money on an ecu (piggy back or stand alone) and mapping?

I had a look in the N/A tuning thread and the bhp figures have some fluctuations so I was just wondering what is the main cause of this difference is?

Any advice would be greatly received  s:) :) s:)   Thanks!

-Mark.

Tags: