Power Loss Issues - First Gear and Revs

Started by AmeR, November 23, 2011, 19:48

AmeR

Ok, so I've been having a few issues with my car and I am hoping that someone may have solved this before / have any idea what the heck I should try and do!?   s:?: :?: s:?:  

Symptoms:
 - Struggles in low revs in first (and recently second initially) e.g setting off at lights etc. It kind of bogs down unless I give it a bit more revs straight off the line.
 - Doesn't seem quite as "nippy" as it used to
 - Today on my way home from work, I noticed that as I hit around 5.5k in 3rd, the power dropped off like I had hit the redline!?
 - If I have just used the car and go back to start it again, it seems to struggle and I have to blip the throttle to start it. I never have this problem on first start up from cold i.e. starts perfectly.

Modifications:
 - Markiii pipe
 - Blitz cone induction
 - Che manifold

I really hope that someone can give me a clue as to what it is!?   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

I'm thinking that at the weekend I will replace the blitz with the standard airbox (not sure if that's what it is but it should be one less thing to think about.), clean the MAF, and disconnect the battery for half an hour.   s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  

Any help will be massively a[[reciated.   s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:

Wabbitkilla

Clean the MAF and reset the ecu for starters. It sounded pretty asthmatic when I heard it, maybe the Blitz filter has had its day
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Anonymous

Possible not enough fuel IE sticky injector

Anonymous

The rule used to be check elecs first. 9 out of 10 faults were elecs.

E

Definitely agree with Nick here, 1st suspect is the Maf and its only a 20 minute job disconnect the battery remove the Maf spray it with some carb cleaner refit it and after the battery has been of for 20 Min's to half an hour reconnect it. it costs virtually nothing and could well sort the problem. good luck Mate

K T M Rider

Sounds just like how my old car was when I bought it.

Quote from: "KTM_RIDER"Bought my W reg. Mk3 3 months ago on Ebay for under 2k (a repaired cat D write off -  rear panel damage) after only about 10 years of wanting one !

I noticed right away that the car was a bit spluttery and hesitant at low speed (felt like it might cut out at junctions unless you kept the revs up) and later discovered that it simply refused to rev above 5500rpm with the engine under load (i.e. in gear). it also just felt underpowered and had generally poor / jerky throttle response.

My car also threw a CEL - the codes were P0171 & P0174.

Cleaning the MAF didn't work so I bought a new one which completely cured it.
Grey 2012 GT86 / ex 2001 W / 2003 03 /2003 53 MR2s
Orange 2019 Aygo Xcite Daily Driver

AmeR

Had the car over at the Spitstop on Saturday and had the Induction kit, MAF housing, and intake pipe off to have a good look at and clean:
 - Induction Kit was quite clean and tidy (pleased!  s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:  )
 - MAF had a good bath but seemed quite clean from its last bath earlier in the year!
 - Intake pipe was clean, and no holes etc on it.

Ste supplied a cleaning suppliment for the fuel tank and we had it out for a blast. Seemed a little better and seems to still be ok, however not as sharp as I feel it could be. I'm now in posession of some injector cleaner for the tank and that will be going in this week when I go near a Shell garage!!

Anonymous

If you want to try swapping out the injectors and/or coilpacks, just come by and grab some to try.

Tags: