Toyota 'Blue Barrel' Oil

Started by alfajerry, December 23, 2011, 10:01

alfajerry

On its last service before I bought it my car was filled with 'Toyota Blue Barrel Oil', to quote the service invoice.
Anyone know what spec this is likely to be?
Thanks.
Jerry

Wabbitkilla

Sounds like generic oil in a blue barrel.

What utter tosh they put on records these days!
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

AmeR

It is literally that - Oil from a big generic Toyota branded barrel. There is a guy selling some on eBay.

alfajerry

Yeah, but does anyone know what the spec is?
Jerry

Wabbitkilla

God knows, why don't you ring them up and ask?
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

K T M Rider

Quote from: "alfajerry"Yeah, but does anyone know what the spec is?

at a guess:

Grey 2012 GT86 / ex 2001 W / 2003 03 /2003 53 MR2s
Orange 2019 Aygo Xcite Daily Driver

K T M Rider

page 231 of my owner's manual says to 'use toyota approved toyota genuine motor oil or equivalent to satisfy the following grade and viscosity: API grade SJ energy -conserving, SL energy conserving or ILSAC multi-grade engine oil'

and

'SAE 5W-30 is the best choice for good fuel economy and good starting in cold weather'

doesn't say what colour barrel it needs to come from though. Either way you are probably better off dumping it out and putting in a good fully synth 5 or 10 /40. Plenty of suggestions in the oil thread

uktotty

Quote from: "KTM_RIDER"
Quote from: "alfajerry"Yeah, but does anyone know what the spec is?

at a guess:

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

alfajerry

Quote from: "KTM_RIDER"page 231 of my owner's manual says to 'use toyota approved toyota genuine motor oil or equivalent to satisfy the following grade and viscosity: API grade SJ energy -conserving, SL energy conserving or ILSAC multi-grade engine oil'
and
 'SAE 5W-30 is the best choice for good fuel economy and good starting in cold weather'
doesn't say what colour barrel it needs to come from though. Either way you are probably better off dumping it out and putting in a good fully synth 5 or 10 /40. Plenty of suggestions in the oil thread

Thanks Alan.
When I do change the oil I know what I'll be using, but it's only been in for 2000 miles and is still perfectly clear, so I don't want to bin it if it's a decent quality oil.
The dealer must use more than one spec oil or they wouldn't need to specify which one to use.
I just thought someone on here might know.
Jerry

K T M Rider

alfajerry

Thanks, looks likely.
That can stay in for the moment.
Jerry

Tags: