My new turbo project ( Dyno printout on Pg 2 )

Started by loadswine, February 26, 2012, 17:11

loadswine

I've been around here for a while now and have tried a few different types of Roadster to own.  s;) ;) s;)
Well, just before Christmas I got my latest 2 , which was a very tidy 35k miler 03 in silver with red leather. I thought this would make a nice base for a way to put my own stamp on the car.
I've already done the bodykit thing and have had a few turbos around the 200 horse mark , plus a V6, so thought, what can I do that there aren't many of?
So I thought something a little on the rare side might be good, so opted to go for a Top Secret turbo kit, when the opportunity presented itself.   s:D :D s:D  
I'm not going mad on the external appearance, as I want it reasonably stealth. My Haas silver that I had last year was a car that I enjoyed a lot and this will have to go some to be as good to own. The stealth approach appealed to me on that one, specially round where I live! ( Too much chav attention with anything too eye catching)
Anyway, last month Aaron Mark and myself embarked on the first stage of the project, popping the turbo kit onto the car.
This kit has a journal bearing turbo , very nice manifold a modest chargecooler ( lol)  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  , Apexi power FC management and one loud exhaust.
For that day turbo went on,together with piping and the ecu.

A couple of minor bits sorted over the next couple of weeks, including a leaking injector seal and shining up the chargecooler and pipework a little.
Map is very conservative and very very rich, but it has potential.   s:) :) s:)   That exhaust is not for shrinking violets either!   s:o :o s:o  

Chargecooler was all plumbed in recently and the air was purged pretty quickly from the system, which was a bonus. These things can take time sometimes.
So current state of play is a rich , loud turbo running base wastegate level boost only.

Next major element in this, is the fabrication of a custom exhaust, that is pretty quiet. I am older than most on here and that suits me fine. It will also have a race cat as I want it to pass MOTs without bother. Exhaust is to be done by Pete at PTR exhuasts in Brackley, who is an artist from what I have seen. Looking forward to that.

Next after that is mapping, but more on that later.   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

s12vea

Glad my old car has been rewarded to a bit more power! Be nice to see the turbo setup once you have exhaust and mapping done!
TF204 Blue
Another one won't hurt  .....

uktotty

Will be watching this thread closely, the Top Secret is one super turbo!

PaullyP2010

Looking forward to the results  s:mrgreen: :mrgreen: s:mrgreen:  

Cheers,
Paul
2003 Sable Grey
Built 2ZZ Turbo with lots of other goodies.........

iPap

I live in Surrey and will very much be looking to see this in the flesh as I'm in the market for a turbo kit this year!
2001, Black MR2, Elise Leather Seats, Aircon and Factory TTE Kit, BC Coilovers, SP Brace, Corkys Front Brace, Devs\' Front Bushes, Rebuilt Toyota 1ZZ Engine, Head and Six Speed Box, Cobra Twin Exhaust, Decat Manifold, Short Shift and Solid Bushes, etc...

loadswine

Yes, for sure , we can meet up sometime and I'll give you a spin and you can have a good look round, no problem.  s:) :) s:)

loadswine

A few pics, which may be of interest to some. ( I know turbo kits are old hat to many others)
Engine with old manifold and exhaust removed, ready to receive the new bits:

Exhaust manifold and turbo

and on the car

Chargecooler mounted in position with pipework,( before a good clean)

chargecooler barrel unmounted again and given a bit of a  polish

Chargecooler refitted and plumbed in

Yes, this kit has been fitted to a member's car before, but all the pics had gone from that thread and many won't really be interested anyway, but pics are here and may be useful to a few others.
The difference in my install, are the upcoming custom exhaust and rolling road mapping. Not really aiming for massive figures, but good driveability and useable power are top of my list. We shall see how this turns out........

AmeR

Looking good there so far, Nige!!

I like the location and mounting of the chargecooler. Makes the plumb from turbo to CC to engine really simple and convenient. Looks tidier too! The location of the turbo lends itself to that perfectly though I guess.
I presume you'll be heat wrapping the custom exhaust once it's don't to stop heat soak on the CC? Would the black standard "tool tray"  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  fit back with the CC in place or is that too low?

Looking forward to seeing the progress as it develops!  s:) :) s:)

loadswine

Not sure about the heat wrapping yet Paul, though various hoses will get a bit more protection. I need to see how the route of the exhaust goes in its finished configuration. I would like to get a heat shield under the CC, maybe invert the black "tool tray" for that with a bit of modification.

Wabbitkilla

Looking good Nigel, I like the way the turbo exhaust is made to the standard position and flange. Makes it very flexible for choices of exhaust.

Chargecooler position is great, unclutterd installation... Like.

Looking forward to the mapping results.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

loadswine

Not a lot of news on this, just that the car is over at PTR in brackley now, getting its exhaust fabricated. Pete did say that the existing exhaust was configured for a decent flow, but it was too loud for me. ( for anyone out there with tougher ears, that will be for sale next week.  s;) ;) s;)   )
Opted for a type of quad design in the end.
Mapping is on schedule for a week today.  s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

Watching to see what it produces mate

s12vea

Be nice to see what sort I power it makes!
TF204 Blue
Another one won't hurt  .....

loadswine

I'm looking forward to seeing what it produces too, but road manners are my top priority with this one. I can't shoot for headline making figures, as the engine is stock internally and the chocolate con rods don't like much above 270 bhp. I really would prefer it all dialled back a wee bit and have a nice smooth curve, with no spikes. We shall see.......  s;) ;) s;)

loadswine

Next stage now done. New exhaust fabricated with a type of quad outlet. ( I like it, but some won't.  s;) ;) s;)   )Fabrication work is top notch and looks so much like its meant to be in there. 200 cell race cat on board as well.  Probably need to get some heat shielding and wrapping on there too, but that will have to be done after the mapping now. Have to fit the boost controller and some new plugs and air filter tomorrow, ready for Thursday and Friday mapping session.
Was thinking of going for 10psi, but not sure if that setup would mean low speed cruise and general economy would suffer too much.
Opinions welcome, particularly from turbo experts.
Oh while I'm at it, big thanks to Pete at PTR Exhausts for doing the exhaust and also thanks to Matt Performance for sorting out a flange and downpipe fitting.  s;) ;) s;)

Mike_V

Hi Nigel. I have a manual boost controller on the dash and high boost is set at 12 psi with a stock engine so you should be ok with that.

Mike
EX 2000 MR2 Roadster,silver,grey/black leather trim,TTE rear bumper inserts,black-grey Momo steering wheel,17" Rota GT3 wheels,KYB struts and FK springs,TRD short shifter with brass shifter bushes,Matt Performance under body brace,Megan arms,Che ARBs,Pirhana discs and Yellow stuff pads,Custom stage 2 T28 SP Turbo,charge cooler system,Helix clutch,lightened flywheel,Moroso sump, custom exhaust and induction kit,550 cc injectors,Link storm G4 ECU with 260bhp&240 ft lbs.
----------------------------------------
2004 Red edition in Sable.
http://s984.photobucket.com/albums/ae323/Mike_V/

loadswine

Thanks for that Mike.  s;) ;) s;)

markiii

Mine was more or less permanently left at 10 psi, your right foot makes for a pretty good boost controller
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

onion86

Mine was set to 9/10 for 2.5 years and I could still manage to get 41mpg when motorway driving if I wanted to.
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

ChrisGB

10psi seems like a nice round figure. It is what I am running and seems to be ok on fuel, gives the gearbox a chance too. Good on a long run, but is does like a drink if I go for a more spirited drive. In all honesty, I would say that the fuel consumption is not much different to before I went turbo. Of course, if you hoon it you will use more fuel, but as Mark said, your right foot makes a good boost controller.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

loadswine

Cool, that works for me.  s:) :) s:)  Thanks guys. The car only did 34mpg max before anyway, so might end up no worse. Don't know why it was that way on fuel, unless that caliper was sticking for a while.... ( rears replaced now;)  )
I'm quite happy to use my right foot as boost controller.  s:) :) s:)
I just need to keep an aye on a resonance issue with the exhaust when hot now, only when really hot so far and at lower revs. It might go away in use. Its certainly quieter overall now. If it doesn't, I guess I shall look at some form of mass damping to change the harmonics.  s;) ;) s;)

aaronjb

Pictures?  s;) ;) s;)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

loadswine

I will do that later. Got a few jobs to do first today.  s;) ;) s;)

vinp182

Quote from: "aaronjb"Pictures?  s;) ;) s;)

+1   s:D :D s:D
2001 Nissan Silvia S15 SpecR
2000 MR-S...... Between engines
1993 Rev4 Turbo mk2 300whp
1994 Rev3 Turbo mk2
2004 Renaultsport Clio182

loadswine

Ran out of time to get pictures today and just put the manual boost controller on the car. Having trouble getting the boost down with it though, ( Grainger valve type) maybe spring is too strong or too long. need to get down only a couple more psi and job's a good 'un. Will have a fresh look in the morning , in the light. On a positive note, it does seem rather swift!

Tags: