4AGZE engine transplant, easy swap?

Started by Icsunonove, March 10, 2012, 19:16

Icsunonove

A bit of a strange upgrade option but has anyone done this conversion and if so got any pictures and information?

Thanks in advance,

Tom

loadswine

I can't remember ever seeing anyone do that swap into a Roadster Tom.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Dyn-Evo

I'd say that it would make a nice-driving car...loads of torque from a decent, bomb-proof engine....  s8) 8) s8)  

However, I would also say that for the cost / hassle and overall end result, it doesn't make sense, really....  s:? :? s:?  

A decent GZE will be fairly costly. To get decent power requires serious modification to the intercooling setup, even though the oversize pulley itself is only £150.....

The setup will carry a weight penalty over a 1ZZ setup, and you'll only have around 145hp (AW11 GZE) or 160-170hp (AE92 / AE101).

If you wanna go outside the usual 2ZZ / V6 options, then the 3SGTE is the obvious choice: for the same work / cost, you get 220-260hp out of the box....!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

That would be my choice, anyway....  s:D :D s:D
Current: 2006 Toyota Corolla T-Sport COMPRESSOR 215hp, Silver, totally stock!
EX]V6[/color]  \":-)\"   )
Black Leather interior, "micro-lip" rear spoiler, Refurbed OEM 15" Pewter Metallics, Cobra Quad-Exit, HEL SS braided hoses, EBC pads, AEM DryFlow CAI.
Ex: "NightHawk" MR2 Mk1 4AG-ZE AE101 S/C conversion (170hp), water injection
Ex: MR2 Mk1b stock 4AGE

Anonymous

Was thinking the same thing. 4AGZE engine maybe good but just under powered. The other option is a Honda K20 swap can be worth it, with options of producing very big power levels

woodman

Quote from: "rbuckingham"Was thinking the same thing. 4AGZE engine maybe good but just under powered. The other option is a Honda K20 swap can be worth it, with options of producing very big power levels
+1 ..... k20 hhhhhhhmmmmmmmmm   s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:
just out of curiosity, has anybody fitted a b16 or b18 lump in an mr2?
not loosing out on the economy side of things then, with a considerable power gain out the box to boot
JDM[size=85]addict[/size]

dj2k21

Don't think I've seen any b series in a roadster, I think a H22 would also make a good swap too if a k series was out of price range for someone. The k24 is very overlooked too, the CRV comes with them and they make good torque figures
[size=85]Veilside Fortune Kit| Veilside Andrew Racing Wheels| Veilside Pro-Drag Exhaust | MWR Stage 4 Race Built Engine | FRD Custom Turbo Conversion | Veilside Turbo Manifold | Link G4 ECU | Flocked & Leather Trimmed Interior | Cobra Misano Seats | Cobra 4 Point Harnesses | Face Lift Front & Rear Lights | Corky\'s Breast Plate | C-one Rear Strut Brace | C-one Engine Damper | Speed Source Engine Mount Inserts | Tein Super Street Coilovers & EDFC | Defi Oil Pressure & Boost Gauges & Daisy Chain Control Unit | BMC Air Intake | D2 8 Pot Big Brake Conversion | Plus Much Much More![/size]

Icsunonove

Thanks for replies   s:D :D s:D  

Quote from: "Dyn-Evo"However, I would also say that for the cost / hassle and overall end result, it doesn't make sense, really....  s:? :? s:?

A decent GZE will be fairly costly. To get decent power requires serious modification to the intercooling setup, even though the oversize pulley itself is only £150.....

Well I would agree with you if it is a hassle (which I don't know). I don't know very much about the roadster whatsoever, but if it would fit relatively easily then I am still interested. The 4AGZE engine can produce more power and I know of one possibly for sale that has been completely rebuilt. It would be a good base engine for either a supercharger upgrade or turbocharge upgrade. Gearbox wise I'd have to adapt something, I wouldn't want to fit an E51 (Supercharger gearbox) for a couple of reasons.

QuoteThe setup will carry a weight penalty over a 1ZZ setup, and you'll only have around 145hp (AW11 GZE) or 160-170hp (AE92 / AE101).

The 4AGZE isn't that heavy so I wouldn't be that bothered about that. The standard AW11 spec 4AGZE can produce 175-180hp with a 176mm pulley, the AE92-AE101 a few more. However the engine itself with a Rotrex Supercharger or in turbo form should be able to reliably produce 200-220hp which is all I am looking for to be honest.

QuoteIf you wanna go outside the usual 2ZZ / V6 options, then the 3SGTE is the obvious choice: for the same work / cost, you get 220-260hp out of the box....!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Well I've done an entire Mk1.5 conversion (3SGTE into an AW11) and been involved in two more, I'd love to do it but I've been there and done that and it's a bit of a hassle and it's a big engine, so I'd like to try another route.

Yes I would be interested in a 2zz, but where would I get a good low mileage engine that I don't have to rebuild at a reasonable price?

Cheers again for replies, keep them coming   s:-D :-D s:-D

Anonymous

I take it the 1zz is dead. I think the only way you will find out is to measure it and find out.

aaronjb

Quote from: "Icsunonove"However the engine itself with a Rotrex Supercharger or in turbo form should be able to reliably produce 200-220hp which is all I am looking for to be honest.

It we're talking crank-hp and not whp then the 1ZZ is more than capable of putting out a reliable 220hp all day long with minimal supporting mods (injectors, ECU, turbo kit, intercooling).. and a new 1ZZ will drop in with precisely 0 mods, after all.  s:) :) s:)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

spit

+1 on what Aaron said. Its really your call on how much of a challenge you're up for.

If you do go ahead with the transplant though, please record it here.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Icsunonove

Thanks for replies   s:D :D s:D  

Quote from: "aaronjb"It we're talking crank-hp and not whp then the 1ZZ is more than capable of putting out a reliable 220hp all day long with minimal supporting mods (injectors, ECU, turbo kit, intercooling).. and a new 1ZZ will drop in with precisely 0 mods, after all.  s:) :) s:)

Yes I am only looking for a reliable  200 - 220 flywheel horsepower. The car will be tracked and therefore the engine will be under duress so I do not want to build something at the top end of its reliability limits.

The only reason I am asking about the 4AGZE is that I know of one that has been fully rebuilt that might come at a reasonable price. Everything has been done and in effect it is a brand new engine. I would prefer not to have to make a load of modifications to make the 4AGZE fit and work, but it's just a possibility and I am just exploring options.

aaronjb

Well, the top end of the 1ZZ reliability limits is ~270bhp, so you'd be well away from that  s:) :) s:)  At least a couple of people ran Hass kits pushing that kind of power on track days and road use for a number of years - and one of them has all the mechanical sympathy of a brick..
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)

loadswine

Quote from: "aaronjb"Well, the top end of the 1ZZ reliability limits is ~270bhp, so you'd be well away from that  s:) :) s:)  At least a couple of people ran Hass kits pushing that kind of power on track days and road use for a number of years - and one of them has all the mechanical sympathy of a brick..
I wonder if that's the same person who piloted your Jag on Sunday? ROFL!
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

aaronjb

Quote from: "loadswine"
Quote from: "aaronjb"Well, the top end of the 1ZZ reliability limits is ~270bhp, so you'd be well away from that  s:) :) s:)  At least a couple of people ran Hass kits pushing that kind of power on track days and road use for a number of years - and one of them has all the mechanical sympathy of a brick..
I wonder if that's the same person who piloted your Jag on Sunday? ROFL!

You mean the one I thought was going to have us barrelling into the scenery at great speed?   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  Ahem, apologies for the drift, Tom!

Tags: