Replacing the lower steering knuckle

Started by scamper82, March 22, 2012, 14:04

scamper82

Me again  s:) :) s:)
Ok so I've read and taken the advise of the very good thread about replacing this part
I've been in contact with Parkinson's and they have quoted me
1. £24 to deliver the part
2. £110 to pick the part up replace it and deliver it back to me

I was all for doing this myself after reading the thread. Now i am having second thoughts after talking to the guy at Parkinson's when he said that removing the part from the column is very hard and im Lilly to damage the spline when removing it

I wonder from anyone that's done this if this is a way of makin me spend more money with them or if it's not that hard if you take care when following the instruction in the walk though instructions in the thread provided

Thanks

iPap

It's easy.

Just remove both the builds on the joint as they hold the joint on even when loosened. It all makes sense once you see it all apart.
2001, Black MR2, Elise Leather Seats, Aircon and Factory TTE Kit, BC Coilovers, SP Brace, Corkys Front Brace, Devs\' Front Bushes, Rebuilt Toyota 1ZZ Engine, Head and Six Speed Box, Cobra Twin Exhaust, Decat Manifold, Short Shift and Solid Bushes, etc...

dcod

Is that £24 for the UJ? If so, I think I'll get one and get my local mechanic to do mine.

I've been thinking of finding a rubber boot to go over it to protect but havn't found one yet. Daft idea?

EDIT:

m http://www.clampcouk.co.uk/products/aut ... /cv-boots/ m
Ezekiel 23:20 "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses"

I bought a "Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine" to lose weight. I put on five stone. I blame the delicious gravy it makes.

scamper82

its £10 + vat for the UJ and it is also £10 + vat for the courier

so if you can pick up its only £10 + vat for the UJ

dcod

Thanks, I think I shall order one.   s:D :D s:D
Ezekiel 23:20 "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses"

I bought a "Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine" to lose weight. I put on five stone. I blame the delicious gravy it makes.

scamper82

ok ive ordered mine and i got it on next day delivery.

they said again to make sure i dont let the yokes sping back when changing it.

scamper82

ok ive recived the part today but its just the baring for inside the UJ. does anyone know if ill be able to fit this myself or will i need special tools to replace the baring in the old joint.

Regards

dcod

Could you put up a photo? I want to know what you get for your money.

scamper82

i have not taken it out of the packet yet as i have been back in contact with them saying i asked for a replacment universal joint not baring but this is what they have sent

Goeman

If it's the joint below that attaches to the steering rack then I think that it is part of that intermediate shaft so if you want a new joint then you need a new shaft which is something like £250. According to ToyoDIY they don't even sell the bit you've got as a separate part but if it fits then it's probably the better option. I've no idea how to fit it though.

Russell

dcod

Quote2. £110 to pick the part up replace it and deliver it back to me

s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

The removal of the lower steering shaft is as easy as it looks in my thread in "How to's" CLICKY

I have to say that I did consider refurbishing the old steering joint with new U/J's, as seen on this thread, there is a place locally where I could get them from without any bother, but...........

I took my old unit and pressed the U/J's out and to be honest the light construction of the yokes convinced me it would not be a good idea, it was mentioned "make sure i dont let the yokes sping back when changing it."......I can assure you they won't spring back at all because they are a mass produced part and not really meant for replacement bearings, the yoke walls are very thin the stress of pressing the old ones out and new ones in would in my opinion leave them dangerously weak.

If you do want to take a chance on replacing the U/J then it would be up to you, I can't quite see on the picture if there are any rubber weather seals at the bottom of each cap?, if not you shouldn't really use these as the caps prevent water/dirt ingress to the needle rollers, fitting one without the seal would be a waste of time as well as possibly dangerous.

As I said this is just my opinion and any repairs you undertake would be at your own risk.

Les

loadswine

This is interesting. If the consensus is that its not a good idea to have that link to Parkinsons on the knuckle thread, or its misleading at all, I am happy to remove that part. Les's original part is the important bit. I've not done it myself and have to agree with les that an aged and rusty yoke might not be best fiddled with, but a new joint complete instead.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

scamper82

Does anyone have a good link for how to get the FULL replacement part as after looking at the joint up close I'm not happy removing this and trying to change the bearings.

I did think that I was getting a new joint (like the one in the tread from lez's guide below) that i would just replace until it turned up  s:( :( s:(

Dyn-Evo

Just for ref, I replaced the UJ on my mk1 with a genuine mr.t part 5 years ago and that cost 86 quid plus vat..!
I wouldnt recommend trying to repair this unless you have the right equipment..!
It should be possible once the part has been replaced to make some sort of flexible boot using liquid latex?
Current: 2006 Toyota Corolla T-Sport COMPRESSOR 215hp, Silver, totally stock!
EX]V6[/color]  \":-)\"   )
Black Leather interior, "micro-lip" rear spoiler, Refurbed OEM 15" Pewter Metallics, Cobra Quad-Exit, HEL SS braided hoses, EBC pads, AEM DryFlow CAI.
Ex: "NightHawk" MR2 Mk1 4AG-ZE AE101 S/C conversion (170hp), water injection
Ex: MR2 Mk1b stock 4AGE

PhillRC

Quote from: "scamper82"i have not taken it out of the packet yet as i have been back in contact with them saying i asked for a replacment universal joint not baring but this is what they have sent

sorry for bumping this but where do i get the replacement uj ? cant find one anywhere :S

busa1

how difficult would it be to change the whole steering column? as i'v just bought a uj off of ebay and i think its for a later model?

Gareth V.

I used to have an account old landrover that used these joints in the driveshaft. A mechanic took 5 minutes to bash the old one out and fit the new bearing as you pictured above. I have to say the construction on the drive shaft was a lot beefier. I heard a lot of people say that the toyta part is not strong enough to fit a replacement to.

cabbydave

Dont mess with fitting the knuckle as its got to be crimped at the ends. Take your new joint and steering knuckle to a prop shaft reconditioners and get them to fit the uj Its not a diy job

Tags: